S&W M&P Sport re-build??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&W M&P Sport re-build??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

Default S&W M&P Sport re-build??

So my wife(bless her heart) picked me up a M&P Sport model for X-Mas. In fact she grabbed 2 of them on sale just a few days before the madness started. My first thought is to break one down and re-build it to make it mid length and add the FA and DC. Is this reasonable and what's the best way to go about it? Do I just try getting a whole new upper and slap it on or what? Keep in mind I'm not rich and cost is a factor.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Does the Sport lower have any features that would make it undesirable or incompatible with other uppers?

Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
So my wife(bless her heart) picked me up a M&P Sport model for X-Mas. In fact she grabbed 2 of them on sale just a few days before the madness started. My first thought is to break one down and re-build it to make it mid length and add the FA and DC. Is this reasonable and what's the best way to go about it? Do I just try getting a whole new upper and slap it on or what? Keep in mind I'm not rich and cost is a factor.
I have 3 ARs. A BCM build on a Noveske lower, a Daniel Defense, and their red-headed stepchild of a brother, a DPMS Sportical. The DPMS parallels your S&Ws, in that it's pretty much a no-frills, budget friendly, entry level AR. Mine has been nothing short of exceptional. Your rifles are probably the same.

The current market might actually result in such a gun (formerly valued $600-800) going for $1000-2000. Crazy but true. And this is where you'd better recognize your wife's awsomeness. You married well, my friend. Thus far I've ignored a substantial 'seller's market' and chosen to keep mine. I upgraded the stock and handguard to Magpul MOE. This is an extremely affordable upgrade (about $100 in total) that should result in better ergonomics and a tighter, more rattle-free fit. I also chose to upgrade the BCG to an M16 version (tough to find right now, but not necessarily something that would be affected by a potential ban...so maybe wait a few months). The truth is, your standard BCG is probably adequate and has a long life ahead of it. It's just a key part that I chose to upgrade per my own preferences. BTW- My used DPMs AR15 BCG sold on EBay for $275 the other day.

You probably have a pair of good guns, and they'll probably run well as-is. And it's possible you might never again be able to purchase them without paying twice the price. Set them up to your preferences....optics, furniture, BCG, etc...but I'd probably start with the stock, as that's something that could easily be impacted by future legislation.

Oh...and get a bunch of mags. The ammo situation will eventually loosen up, as 223/556 will always be a 'staple' round. But mags may not.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Liked 640 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1914

The S&W M&P Sport is (or was) the best AR for under $850. Why change it up? It should be perfect how it is.

My Sport is exceptional, very accurate and reliable. 3000 rds and no problems yet.

IMO, the DPMS Sportical is not even close to the parallel of the S&W.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The DPMS parallels your S&Ws, in that it's pretty much a no-frills, budget friendly, entry level AR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
IMO, the DPMS Sportical is not even close to the parallel of the S&W.
If had to chose between the two, I might very well select the S&W merely for marketability of its "name". So to that extent I agree.

But apart from that, what makes the M&P Sport notably superior? I have a funny feeling most (if not all) of their critical parts were contracted out to the same folks, under the same rooves, to identical specs. They're entry level, consumer grade, 1:9 twist, carbine ARs. Period.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The S&W Sport is one of the best entry-level A.R. 15's even though it's very low in price I would not hesitate to buy one if the price was still in the $800 range but in today's market is much more than that so one has to make a decision if it's worth the money or not.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #7

I'm really thinking about keeping one of these NIB for the foreseeable future and maybe pass it down to my son (if Obummer allows that in the future:-/) but the other I want the make my own. Maybe switch the upper with something mil spec then keep my Sport upper for future use. The lower on my sport should be the same as any other lower right?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
I have a standard S&W lower that functions well with ArmaLite, BCM, PSA, Bushmaster and Daniel Defense uppers. From what I've seen and read, the Sport has the same quality lower except that it has an integrated trigger guard. There should be no problem putting a midlength upper on it - other than finding one.

You raise an interesting question we're all contemplating - do I sell an extra AR or parts. If I had a Sport or Sportical I'd probably sell it and gamble the funds would later replace it with something better. Since I went a little upscale initially there's less profit. (A $700 Sport and a $1100 BCM might both go for $1500-1600.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
If had to chose between the two, I might very well select the S&W merely for marketability of its "name". So to that extent I agree.

But apart from that, what makes the M&P Sport notably superior? I have a funny feeling most (if not all) of their critical parts were contracted out to the same folks, under the same rooves, to identical specs. They're entry level, consumer grade, 1:9 twist, carbine ARs. Period.
The Sport has a 1/8 twist melonite barrel that seems well received and quite accurate. No doubt S&W had to cut some corners to meet the price point but for about the same money they appear to give you more. For example, a milspec diameter receiver extension and milspec height sights. I see more value in a Sport and think now is an ideal time to sell a Sportical!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

Yea I've seen the outrageous prices and I guess I could try to double my $$ by gouging someone else but if they do get banned the price could still go up. Plus I want to be able to give one to each of my sons one day and I'm not to confident they will have the ability to get them theirselves one in the future. I'm thinking ill grab the parts I want i.e. quad rail, grips, stock and as many mags as possible. If the ban comes I'm screwed on a new upper but might just sell the NIB gun for a big profit and fund another project. Decisions decisions.... Guess ill line up at the next gun show with all the crazies and see what I can find for an upper