Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   S&W M&P AR 15 Sport (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/s-w-m-p-ar-15-sport-57774/)

glockguy22 02-15-2012 12:53 PM

S&W M&P AR 15 Sport

So at tge end of July I'm getting the m&p 15 sport and I was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about it before I get it. I plan on using it for home protection, target shooting, and deer hunting.

fmj 02-15-2012 12:54 PM

Deer hunting with a .223?? Not my first choice!

ANYWHO...i have looked at the M&P and decided against the sport model because it doesnt have a forward assist.

glockguy22 02-15-2012 12:59 PM

I have other guns for deer hunting I just like a good challenge. As for the forward assist I have read that is really not needed unless u are in extreme combat and I don't plan on that at anytime soon

ShagNasty1001 02-15-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockguy22
So at tge end of July I'm getting the m&p 15 sport and I was wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about it before I get it. I plan on using it for home protection, target shooting, and deer hunting.

I have one and haven't had any problems what so ever. I love it, for the money, it's hard to beat. I put 1000 rounds down the melenite* barrel the first week I had it without cleaning it and it looked like was brand new. No residue down the barrel or anything. The feed ramp was a little dirty but that was it

mjkeat 02-15-2012 02:49 PM

S&W is stepping up their AR game. Some still advise against them but at the $600 price point it might be worth a go. If later on you want a FA you can always change out upper receivers or get a second complete upper.

ShagNasty1001 02-15-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat
S&W is stepping up their AR game. Some still advise against them but at the $600 price point it might be worth a go. If later on you want a FA you can always change out upper receivers or get a second complete upper.

That's what I did. Love the versatility

fsted2a 02-15-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glockguy22 (Post 709292)
I have other guns for deer hunting I just like a good challenge. As for the forward assist I have read that is really not needed unless u are in extreme combat and I don't plan on that at anytime soon

Most don't use it even then. Easier to just eject the round.

mjkeat 02-15-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a (Post 709546)
Most don't use it even then. Easier to just eject the round.

That's my method but a very good usage was pointed out to me a few days ago, chamber checks. I do it all the time w/ my handguns but for whatever reason never w/ rifles. Chamber checks can be useful.

fsted2a 02-16-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 709583)
That's my method but a very good usage was pointed out to me a few days ago, chamber checks. I do it all the time w/ my handguns but for whatever reason never w/ rifles. Chamber checks can be useful.

I just feel kinda skiddish about using the forward assist after seeing a blown up receiver at BNCOC in'06 that was attributed to it. I would rather not have one on my gun.

hardluk1 02-16-2012 12:38 PM

The M&P15 sport is a good solid accurate rifle that is being bought now well under 600 dollars. And S&W is one of few that make all there metal parts for the rifle unlike most all others. And like other ARs, parts are interchangeable.