Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&w m&p ar 15-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Stay away from the Plinker Tactical 35 rnd mags. They've been hit or miss with reliability for feeding. Got one. Hate it. Basically a paper weight until I can rip it open and see what I can tinker with. S&W mags all work flawlessly.
That won't be an issue. I live in NJ. :-(

Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have the S&W and its an awesome lightweight gun and its great if you have kids that want to learn as well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 515Survival View Post
I have the S&W and its an awesome lightweight gun and its great if you have kids that want to learn as well.
That was exactly my intention. My son turns 8 at the end of the month and I'm getting him a pellet gun to start out. But eventually he'll be shooting the .22.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts

Heck of a gun..thousands of rounds through it. VERY reliable. I've also got it's bigger brother, a regular S&W M&P15. The feel is nearly identical and you can practice with 22lr a lot cheaper than .223. The weight is quite a bit more and the charging handle takes more of a pull though.
Also, i saw a mention on the Plinker Tactical 35 rd mags. I've got 3 of them and they do take some getting used to but once you figure them out they are reliable. Using the loading rod takes about 90% of the stress out. Also, the rounds need to be pointing slightly up as loaded, if you push way down and dump them in flat, they won't feed reliably.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Bud,

You can not go wrong with the S&W 15 22. There are fine little rifles and accurate. I would be sure to get one with the flat top on it so you can mount other optics sights and etc. I think they all come that way but not sure. It would be a great rifle for you and your son to go to the range and shoot also teaching him safe gun handling and shooting basics.
At 8 he is not too young to begin teaching him to shoot a real gun!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #16

I just spoke to my neighbor and he's gonna get a price for me. He's got the AR15 in .223 so I can just play with his when we go to the range. His may be a little more fun, but I'll be able to shoot all day without going broke. I have a feeling he may be borrowing the .22.

As far as my son goes, yes, I agree, 8 is old enough to learn to handle a gun but, between the stigma surrounding guns in NJ and the fact that my wife is generally "anti-gun" I need to ease him(them) into it. Plus, some local ranges have air-gun competitions and I thought that would be fun for him. He's extremely competitive for his age (he's an awesome wrestler).

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Bud,

That is great! Thanks for being a good Dad and spending time with him regarding the shooting sport. He is part of our Second Amendment Insurance for the future! A Positive VOTE for the sport we all love here on the FTF.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1824 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 557

My wife took mine. She loves it. The adjustable stock really makes it great for smaller shooters. I put a 1.5-6x scope on it for her. She lets me shoot a few rounds occasionally.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #19

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Bud,

You can not go wrong with the S&W 15 22. There are fine little rifles and accurate. I would be sure to get one with the flat top on it so you can mount other optics sights and etc. I think they all come that way but not sure. It would be a great rifle for you and your son to go to the range and shoot also teaching him safe gun handling and shooting basics.
At 8 he is not too young to begin teaching him to shoot a real gun!
Most of the ones I've seen come with easily removable magpul sights, at least mine did.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I do, and I love it. It's my more fun than a barrel of monkeys gun.
Same for me. I've had one 4 years (got an early model) and it's still my favorite fun gun, followed very closely by my Henry Golden Boy. My sons began shooting it in elementary school and though they are teens now, it still fits them as well as their mother and I due to its M4 design.