Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&w m&p ar 15-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts

Hi guys, new to the forum and the sport.

I currently have a Glock 23 and was looking to add a .22 rifle since that's all most indoor ranges around here will allow. Does anyone have the 15-22 and have an opinion to offer? I'm just looking for a little plinker that's relatively accurate to throw a small scope on. Something my 9yo can shoot is a plus.( And he would just look bad ass on the firing line with an AR. Lol)

Thanks in advance for any and all input and advice.

Last edited by Budasac; 07-01-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2061 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 745

I do, and I love it. It's my more fun than a barrel of monkeys gun.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #3

Liked 902 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I do, and I love it. It's my more fun than a barrel of monkeys gun.
Couldn't agree more. They had issues when they first came out but those have been cleared up a couple of years ago. Great guns. Love mine and may get another soon.

USMC 74-78

Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Ive got one and love it. Fantastic plinker. Mags are cheap easy to get easy to load easy to clean. Accuracy is very very good.

HIGHLY recomend it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

That's great guys. Sounds like everyone is happy with it! I noticed there are a number of 15-22s out there (most are a little less then the S&W), other then brand preference is there anything about the S&W that stands out or makes it better then the others?

And thanks again for the quick replies. Much appreciated. I belong to a number of forums for various hobbies and while some are infinitely helpful, others are filled with rude annoying people. It appears you guys have a very friendly and helpful community here. I look forward to learning all I can and contributing when able. Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #6

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac
That's great guys. Sounds like everyone is happy with it! I noticed there are a number of 15-22s out there (most are a little less then the S&W), other then brand preference is there anything about the S&W that stands out or makes it better then the others?

And thanks again for the quick replies. Much appreciated. I belong to a number of forums for various hobbies and while some are infinitely helpful, others are filled with rude annoying people. It appears you guys have a very friendly and helpful community here. I look forward to learning all I can and contributing when able. Thanks again.
I have one and love it. There are actually 2 in my house. What I think stands out, toe at least, is the fact that it has almost all the same functional parts as a real ar, minus the forward assist and dust cover. So if you don't already have an ar it's a good way to become somewhat familiar with them. I got one before I got a real ar. They're also pretty reliable. There are certain types of ammo that don't work as well in mine. I know I had trouble with federal, but others on here may have differing experiences. High velocity rounds like mini mags work flawlessly. Overall really fun gun to blow off a bunch of ammo with.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Que
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't own one but have got to mess with a few of the first ones that were released. did some muzzle threading for cans. these seem to be decently built .22s.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #8

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
... I noticed there are a number of 15-22s out there (most are a little less then the S&W), other then brand preference is there anything about the S&W that stands out or makes it better then the others? ...
I've shot my buddy's M&P15-22 many times and like it a lot. Very light weight and reliable. However I bought the Colt/Walther M4 .22lr carbine and it goes to the range with my G23 often. (Nice Glock, BTW.) Externally it's more like an AR (heft, feel and look while the S&W's trigger group is more like an AR's.) You really can't go wrong with either so I'd say handle as many tactical .22s at your LGS and compare. But I'd stick with the S&W or Colt. After two years of experience with both I'm glad I bought the Colt. If I had originally bought the Smith, I'd probably say the opposite.

ETA:
BTW, the S&W tends to be very affordable, the Colt is about $50 more and the Mossberg is less. I'm not a fan of the Mossberg.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-01-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

....... I'd stick with the S&W or Colt. After two years of experience with both I'm glad I bought the Colt. If I had originally bought the Smith, I'd probably say the opposite.

ETA:
BTW, the S&W tends to be very affordable, the Colt is about $50 more and the Mossberg is less. I'm not a fan of the Mossberg.
Lol, nice. Yeah, $50 difference won't kill me, I'll check out the Colt. I saw the Mossberg for <$300, I'm all for a bargain but, the low price scared me a little. I don't want to buy a pos, just something affordable (and well made). I have a LGS less then a mile from my house, I'll have to go and see what he has in stock and get my hands on them. I'm very glad to hear all the positive comments though. So many guns out there, it's hard to narrow it down to just a few. Being new, the buy-in is expensive: Gun Safe, initiation and dues for a Club, ammo, gear, and of course GUNS! The fact that my wife is totally opposed to it makes the investment that much more difficult.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Stay away from the Plinker Tactical 35 rnd mags. They've been hit or miss with reliability for feeding. Got one. Hate it. Basically a paper weight until I can rip it open and see what I can tinker with. S&W mags all work flawlessly.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World