S&W M&P - 15 Stock flash suppressor
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

S&W M&P - 15 Stock flash suppressor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W M&P - 15 Stock flash suppressor

Hey guys,

It has been quite awhile since I have last been on here and while in the Middle East on business I now have a lot of free time. Perks of being in Saudi. I am in the process of setting up a trust so I can purchase a suppressor for my AR as well as other things and I am trying to get setup before I run the marathon that is The govt approval process. My question is this: is the flash suppressor on a stock M&P - 15 Sport (I purchased in 2008) welded or would I be able to replace it with a proper adapter for a suppressor by simply using a tool to take it off? Or if I am completely in left field on that can any of you suggest what I should do. Looking to get an AAC can for it. I will post a picture of my AR so the picture can do a better job at explaining what I have. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tyler

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1390506157.351269.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Typically not welded.

Just need a wrench a vice and some wooden blocks with slight groove to clamp the barrel.

Having a buddy hold the gun and twist can do serious damage to the upper receiver and torque the help out of the gas system leading to all sort of fun hard to resolve issues.

Also an upper receiver block or receiver vice is not for attaching or removing muzzle devices as it can cause the same issues as bubbaing it off with a buddy
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 01-23-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 354 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Many barrels measuring ~14.5" do have the muzzle device pinned/welded (some do not, but often the more reputable manufacturers will). I'm not aware of S&W's tendencies. Rarely will a 16" barrel have a fixed muzzle brake. I might be wrong, but it appears yours is a 16".

If you have any interest in .30-cal rifles (especially 300blk, and even 308), it could benefit you to investigate a 7.62 suppressor. That's the next one I'll buy. They may be a bit more expensive than a .224 suppressor, but they'll generally perform equally well with a 5.56 or .30-cal rifle. And 300blk's performance lends itself to suppression far better than 5.56. If you're gonna pay a buncha money only to wait 10 months, you may as well come away with the most versatile setup possible...at least that's my thinking.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

.30cal suppressors perform better with 556/223 than .22cal suppressors due to the larger volume. The advantage of smaller 223 suppressors is weight. None are quieter than the bigger 30cals.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Guys,

Thank you for your input I greatly appreciate it. As soon as I get back from Mars (Saudi) I will try the suggestions. Yeah I am leaning towards a .30 cal suppressor because I also have a Socom II that is unbearably loud so that is an option as well. Thank you again guys for all your input.

Cheers,

Tyler