S&W M&P 10 build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&W M&P 10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I had not checked into the price of the Apex rails. The PRI is the costliest hand guard but comes with three short and one longer rail so I guess that offsets some of the extra expense. I have the P.E.P.R. mount on my Syrac 5.56 upper and it is pretty heavy but seems solid enough. I would like to replace it eventually with something more streamlined and lighter.

dsc01396.jpg  

Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

Liked 109 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'm sure the PEPR is fine with 5.56 recoil but I don't really trust it much beyond that. Especially on a gun that might get knocked around or bumped a bit. For that I really like these http://www.aadmount.com/30mm/index.html
They come with 20MOA drop and a built in level that is nice and out of the way even if it is a bit small. These things just lock up solid and the scope does NOT move.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Old 05-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
Probably going to be a while. Honestly things are moving on it faster than expected.

As stated the PRS is on order but there was a mix up with it. Armalite only had 3 of those stocks at that price but through a computer glitch ened up selling 170 of them. I first got an order cancellation then the next day got an email saying they would honor the order if I contacted them to verify it. So I do have the stock on the way but was warned that it may take 3 or 4 weeks given that it hasn't been ordered from Magpul yet. Long story but since the price is about $50 cheaper than I have ever seen that stock; I'll wait for it.

I have the Apex hand guard on order too and expect that in by Monday. However I planned on a full length top rail and those were back ordered so although I have the Apex coming in I will have to take it back off at some point to complete it.

I still need to call S&W for a buffer spring spacer since the PRS stock requires a rifle length buffer tube. It is a simple 2" aluminum spacer that S&W sells for $24. I could cut one out of delrin and I still may but I do plan on ordering the S&W spacer too.

I have switched gas blocks already going with a low profile YHM that should work fine with the Apex hand guard.

As far as the weight of the PRS stock goes; I have mixed emotions about that. I'm going to give it a try. I really need to raise my cheek weld up about 3/8" for a perfect scope fit (for now anyway with the PEPR mount) so we'll see. If it adds more weight than I'm willing to deal with I'll look for another solution. Right now this was cheap and easy.

For right now at least the rifle does have an MOE grip; mostly because that is what I had laying around. I got in the habit of using MOE grips a while back because I like carrying these http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/FS-001.html
in them. It makes for a nice clean setup and because its in the grip, it is ALWAYS with the rifle. FYI I found out the hard way that the Samson tool doesn't fit in the MOE+ grip; the reason I don't use them.

I'm a fan of the P-mags and they tend to be what I use ALMOST exclusively. This rifle is no exception so when I got it one of the first things I did was order a case of P-mags for it. It came with one metal 10rd mag and that along with a few other 10rd P-mags more than handles my low capacity needs.
I'm sure it will. Just do it wit patience and all the best!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #14

Latest news is the Apex rail came in; very nice piece of equipment. Goes on easy using the stock barrel nut. As I had mentioned the full top rail was back ordered when I placed my order so I'm waiting for it still, and I still need to order a bipod mount for it as well

PRS stock came in; can't beat the price I bought it for. Also called S&W to order the buffer spring spacer; turned out to be $14 shipped but was out of stock so will be a few weeks before it arrives. I may just make one out of Delrin to use until the aluminum one gets here. Should have a buffer tube for it by Tuesday or Wednesday. I have one on another build that I can swap out but rather not cannibalize another build; not just yet anyway.

Also decided on my BUIS system for it while I was at it; Diamondhead D-45

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Last edited by oO_Rogue_Oo; 05-18-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wow! Rogue. It's already looking amazing. You are doing a great job on it.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I've been Reading this! Very interesting. Good job, but I only saw you mention 10 Rd magazines. They don't make 20s? Don't AR-10 standard mags fit?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddchaney View Post
Wow! Rogue. It's already looking amazing. You are doing a great job on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I've been Reading this! Very interesting. Good job, but I only saw you mention 10 Rd magazines. They don't make 20s? Don't AR-10 standard mags fit?

Thanks for the kind words

Believe I mentioned that I ordered a case of the Magpul mags (20 round) when I first bought the rifle. Also mentioned that it came with a 10 rd mag; that coupled with a few Magpul 10 round mags that I bought would take care of my low capacity needs.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #18
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default S&W M&P 10 build

Ok,..Nice. Didn't see you mention the 20's. A long while back someone was making an AR-10 50 Rd. Drum, but I heard it made the Gun "very Heavy." I would only want something like that to Fire from a Rest or on a Bi-Pod....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #19

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you had any trouble shooting some types of ammo? Mine won't cycle ZQI ammo, it doesn't say bullet weight but says Nato so I'm guessing it's 147 gr?

Old 05-21-2014, 04:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazvet View Post
Have you had any trouble shooting some types of ammo? Mine won't cycle ZQI ammo, it doesn't say bullet weight but says Nato so I'm guessing it's 147 gr?
Not so far
I've shot 147gr So African surplus through it without issue and they are pretty light loads. The same ammo won't cycle in my H&K-91 (its made for the FAL). But honestly I was just using that ammo to break the gun in. These days it pretty much only shoots a diet of the barrnes 168gr match ammo. It does very well with it shooting just under MOA it stock configuration with a cheap Osprey scope and the stock trigger. I haven't had a chance to get it back out to see how it does since putting the free float tube (& gas block) and the new scope on it. Right now it isn't in shooting condition and won't be until I put a spacer in the buffer tube. I did manage to get a rifle length tube on it and the PRS stock (pictures soon). It's really close to being ready though; only other thing I want to get put in it before I take it back out is a Geissele, SSA-E trigger. Still haven't decided if I want to thread the barrel and put a comp on it; if I do it will most likely be the JP Enterprises, Recoil Eliminator.

As I had mentioned in the past I do also need to order a full top rail and a bi-pod mount. Apex says that Magpul rails work but they were lose and I didn't like it at all so have to order the proprietary pieces from Apex. Thought I'd save some money with the Magpul stuff but no such luck.

Once I have it shooting the way I want I'll work on the aesthetics and accessories. Ceracoating the front tube in FDE to match and then adding things like a level etc to make it easier to shoot

Last edited by oO_Rogue_Oo; 05-21-2014 at 04:05 AM.