S&W M&P 10 build
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > S&W M&P 10 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default S&W M&P 10 build

I haven't seen a lot of information on the S&W M&P 10 being built yet so I've decided to see what I can do with one of them. Going to build it for mid-range (600 - 800 meters); most likely in stages to see what results I get out of each step. If you're not familiar with the M&P 10 the nice things about it are that it is completely ambidextrous and has a 18" 5R barrel.

I bought the gun a few months ago and did a few things to it just to make it more comfortable and threw a cheap scope on it. The results were about what I expected but not stellar. I mounted a Osprey 10-40x50 scope on Burris ex-high tactical rings and outfitted the gun with Magpul furniture and an NCstar bi-pod. Well the gun just wasn't comfortable; the scope was too high, I didn't care for the reticle at all and my groups fell just short of MOA. This was most certainly not the gun, just not a good combination. That said the other day I ordered and got in a SWFA 10x40 SS scope and a PEPR mount. Bore sighted the scope yesterday and plan on taking it out soon to see what the results are but just from bore sighting it I can say the scope is head and shoulders a better setup. Scope height is almost perfect and the gun is MUCH more comfortable to shoulder .

So my plans for this gun include a Apex free float hand guard, YHM low profile gas block and a Geissele SSA-E trigger next.

The next stage will most likely be either a Harris or Blackhawk bi-pod, a Magpul PRS stock with a DPMS buffer tube (S&W makes a spring spacer for this setup that can be ordered thru customer service) and a Accu-Shot monopod. Also thinking at this stage I may go to a Aadmount 20 MOA scope mount; I'll have to see how the PEPR works out next trip out with the gun.
The final stages I'm struggling with a little but right now my thought process is that they would be a JP Enterprises recoil eliminator and perhaps a JP Enterprises captured spring buffer & spacer. The reason I say I'm struggling with this a little is because I bought a "compliant" gun for the purpose of not having any muzzle treatment that could shift POI.

Anyone who would care to comment on your experiences with any of the above mentioned components or offer suggestions of better choices is more than welcome to do so.

I expect that this build will take several months to complete doing it in this manner so I have plenty of time to make changes.

I don't have any pictures yet with the PEPR and SWFA scope but this is how the gun started life.

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22085 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sounds like an interesting project. subbed in to see how this goes.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

Okay couldn't stand it so took a quick picture of how the rifle sits today

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

Found a PRS stock new for $130; just couldn't pass it up so its on order

http://www.slickguns.com/product/magpul-ar10m15-prs-gen-ii-flat-dark-earth-12465-savings-13035

I should be ordering the Apex forend tomorrow

Old 04-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Waiting for your built to get completed.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #6

Liked 171 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 89

That sounds like a great deal on the PRS stock. I've been looking at ways to lighten up my Remington R-25, thinking about an Ace ARFX Skeleton stock and PRI 7.62 Triangular carbon fiber hand guard ( $330 bucks, ouch !) The ARFX stock uses the rifle length buffer tube with a foam cover over it to save weight. At 10 oz. it is a third the weight of the PRS, just no adjustment like the PRS. Some of the Magpul stocks like the CTR you have in your picture are almost as light as the ARFX Skeleton though, and have different positions for length, but I would have to get a carbine buffer tube, new spring and .308 buffer to use a collapsible stock. Looks like you have a MOE grip, I use those on my AR-15's as well. I like the MOE+ that has the rubber texture to it. I hope the magazines that S&W provides are better than the 4 round DPMS Panther one that I got. I threw it away and instead got a couple of the Magpul 7.62 P Mag's that work great. You can get a 10 round Magpul stubby, I want to get a couple for varminting as they don't stick down so far for shooting off the bipod, and Lancer makes a nice 5 round that I'll have to get to go after deer and antelope.

Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddchaney View Post
Waiting for your built to get completed.
Probably going to be a while. Honestly things are moving on it faster than expected.

As stated the PRS is on order but there was a mix up with it. Armalite only had 3 of those stocks at that price but through a computer glitch ened up selling 170 of them. I first got an order cancellation then the next day got an email saying they would honor the order if I contacted them to verify it. So I do have the stock on the way but was warned that it may take 3 or 4 weeks given that it hasn't been ordered from Magpul yet. Long story but since the price is about $50 cheaper than I have ever seen that stock; I'll wait for it.

I have the Apex hand guard on order too and expect that in by Monday. However I planned on a full length top rail and those were back ordered so although I have the Apex coming in I will have to take it back off at some point to complete it.

I still need to call S&W for a buffer spring spacer since the PRS stock requires a rifle length buffer tube. It is a simple 2" aluminum spacer that S&W sells for $24. I could cut one out of delrin and I still may but I do plan on ordering the S&W spacer too.

I have switched gas blocks already going with a low profile YHM that should work fine with the Apex hand guard.

As far as the weight of the PRS stock goes; I have mixed emotions about that. I'm going to give it a try. I really need to raise my cheek weld up about 3/8" for a perfect scope fit (for now anyway with the PEPR mount) so we'll see. If it adds more weight than I'm willing to deal with I'll look for another solution. Right now this was cheap and easy.

For right now at least the rifle does have an MOE grip; mostly because that is what I had laying around. I got in the habit of using MOE grips a while back because I like carrying these http://www.samson-mfg.com/ar-15_html/product/FS-001.html
in them. It makes for a nice clean setup and because its in the grip, it is ALWAYS with the rifle. FYI I found out the hard way that the Samson tool doesn't fit in the MOE+ grip; the reason I don't use them.

I'm a fan of the P-mags and they tend to be what I use ALMOST exclusively. This rifle is no exception so when I got it one of the first things I did was order a case of P-mags for it. It came with one metal 10rd mag and that along with a few other 10rd P-mags more than handles my low capacity needs.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #8

Liked 171 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I looked at the weight of the PRI Delta carbon fiber hand guard and it was 20 oz. The Apex rifle length ( 12 1/2") handguard shows weight at 10 oz. with hardware, and it is just under 2" in diameter much trimmer than the fat stock one that came on my R-25, so I will be ordering the Apex as well.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #9

Apex came in yesterday so I put it on today. You know how it is when new toys show up. So here is how the rifle sits today. FYI I went with the 15 inch Apex rather than the 13 inch. Fit and finish are very good and I'm very happy with it. As you can see the SWFA scope is on it as well with the PEPR mount. I have my concerns with this mount for this rifle so doubt that it will stay on it but for now I had one laying around so it got used until I can upgrade it to one of these. http://www.aadmount.com/

Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I looked at the weight of the PRI Delta carbon fiber hand guard and it was 20 oz. The Apex rifle length ( 12 1/2") handguard shows weight at 10 oz. with hardware, and it is just under 2" in diameter much trimmer than the fat stock one that came on my R-25, so I will be ordering the Apex as well.
Just an FYI on the Apex. They say you can use Magpul rails on it so I gave it a try with a 2 inch rail to mount my bi-pod with. Well it didn't work out. You can use a Magpul rail, sure but it fits like crap. So I thought I was going to save some money (the Apex rails are expensive) but that isn't going to happen. Do your self a favor and get the Apex rails.