Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relichound View Post
good point ,,, been thinking of upgrading to a hydro buffer for some time ,, might cut it down,, but regardless i still have a bad taste in my mouth after having so many malfunctions on that bi metal
It happens. Some guys don't like sexy, German, sports cars

What weight is your buffer?

Id do some research before spending the money on a hydro buffer.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #22

Liked 922 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
good point ,,, been thinking of upgrading to a hydro buffer for some time ,, might cut it down,, but regardless i still have a bad taste in my mouth after having so many malfunctions on that bi metal
Do you now have a standard weight carbine buffer? That should be fine for Wolf. I wouldn't screw around with a nonstandard buffer. Nothing wrong with the ammo since it works for most of us, something needs attention in the rifle.

Come to think of it, did you ever describe the malf? Short stroking?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My two CMMG piston AR's will eat the steel cased stuff like it's going out of style. But my DI Bushy will not. First round of steel sticks in the chamber and will not eject. Perhaps a tight chamber, but it will handle any brass case stuff without issue.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Well...

I stand corrected. I have put about... 140 rounds through mine. I clean it as soon as I'm done shooting. First WD-40, then the wire brush. Then a swab down the barrel with the cleaner, then some gun oil, another run with the cleaner, and then patches through until they come out clean. I ALWAYS make sure to clean the gas tube on the bolt carrier group.

Sorry about the bad information, I was mistaken

Anyway, the Russian ammo when bought in bulk is very cheap, .20 a round. American ammo, even in bulk (500 rounds) is .35 and up a shot.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #25

the malfunction is failure to eject. and as i said it only does it with steel ... even so when i shoot brass vs steel i find the loads in the steel underpowered , and comparing the two id say theirs far more consistancy in the american brass ammo loads, best ammo i shoot is my hand loads but then again i like performance(my race car lol) as to the ar , i built it myself and have checked it over and over and can find no problem , im running a standard carbine buffer my buddy was running a hydo buffer and had no problem with the wolf and tula , yea may pay for my brass addiction but i firmly belive you get what you pay for.

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011

Old 06-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #26

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
the malfunction is failure to eject. and as i said it only does it with steel ... even so when i shoot brass vs steel i find the loads in the steel underpowered , and comparing the two id say theirs far more consistancy in the american brass ammo loads, best ammo i shoot is my hand loads but then again i like performance(my race car lol) as to the ar , i built it myself and have checked it over and over and can find no problem , im running a standard carbine buffer my buddy was running a hydo buffer and had no problem with the wolf and tula , yea may pay for my brass addiction but i firmly belive you get what you pay for.
I don't believe any of us are using steel ammo for any type of precision target bench rest shooting. When putting rounds on man sized targets in rapid succession steel works perfectly and is cheap. I stress about how hard I work to pay for ammo so the cheaper it is for me to pull the trigger the more fun I have. I really like shooting my dedicated .22lr.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #27

i like shooting distance , so rapid fires not my thing ,, i love the .223 for its accuracy and you sack that with the steel . yea its fun to rapidly rip rounds out but i like to shoot at a distance,, so if i wanted cheep thrills ill go get an semi ak and let the steel rain , but my ar i like accuracy , and that has a price , i work in the oil industry , and i work hard , but i dont want to spend my range time (witch is hard to get in) fixing malfunctions so its the old question of time vs money. personaly i have a bolt prefrence but the ar is better for defence ,and i belive in training with what youd carry in your weapon . (btw .22 uppers are fun as hell)

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011