Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I'd say the biggest problem is the cleaning afterwards, that carbon from these is a b!tch to get off.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock View Post
I'd say the biggest problem is the cleaning afterwards, that carbon from these is a b!tch to get off.
A good Kroil soak overnight helps.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I am using Tula almost exclusively at the moment. Theres guys that are very knowledgeable w/ the AR who use Wolf and Tula in high round classes w/ good results all the time.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Funny this came up, cause I've been doing some Tula/Wolf shooting as well lately. I've had a few dozen boxes laying around since having problems with it (so I thought) in 2 of my ARs. One was with "Scrapy" when he had a 16" barrel w/ rifle gas system (bad design) and the other was my 14.5" BCM middy and I attribute that to a mag issue and the front sight/gas block being re-installed canted by a Slouchie gunsmith (hate to even use that term for him).

So after [B]both/B] guns have been shooting GREAT with anything brass that I've fed them, I thought I'd take a couple hundred rounds of Wolf and Tula (both 62gr .223) to the range. "Scrapy" cycled about 100 flawlessly. Even when I alternated them in the mag there was no problems! The grouping was about 2-3x larger than typical Federal XM193, but I could still ding the 10" gong @ 100 yards most of the time.

The gun is very fouled up, but I use quite a bit of lube, so I'm hoping a good soaking, followed a good spray of some sort will take care of it.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Glad you wer able to fix the problems you were having.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #16

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

ive had nothing but bad luck with steel im my rra upper , my baby has expensive tastes and eats up brass like nothing but you put that ruskie garbage in and whammy malfunction (and yes i clean the crap out of my firearms)

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011

Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relichound View Post
ive had nothing but bad luck with steel im my rra upper , my baby has expensive tastes and eats up brass like nothing but you put that ruskie garbage in and whammy malfunction (and yes i clean the crap out of my firearms)
Hate to tell you but more than likely you problem is the RRA not the Russian ammo. You may want to take a look at the weight of your buffer and make sure you are lubing your rifle correctly w/ a good product.

My LWRC, DD, Spikes, and custom builds take in a steady diet of Russian bi-metal ammo. My cleaning regiment isn't even that intense. Its usually a wipe down and a quick bore snake.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #18

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Hate to tell you but more than likely you problem is the RRA not the Russian ammo. You may want to take a look at the weight of your buffer and make sure you are lubing your rifle correctly w/ a good product.

My LWRC, DD, Spikes, and custom builds take in a steady diet of Russian bi-metal ammo. My cleaning regiment isn't even that intense. Its usually a wipe down and a quick bore snake.
Again, I have to agree with MJ... My two ARs love the cheap stuff even though I've backed way off from that white glove military cleaning regimen my DIs taught me all those years ago. Quick & slick, that's the way I do it now and run a lot of the 20 cent stuff. Most ARs should be able to handle the cheap stuff.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 AM   #19

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts

good point ,,, been thinking of upgrading to a hydro buffer for some time ,, might cut it down,, but regardless i still have a bad taste in my mouth after having so many malfunctions on that bi metal

liberal idealists wont be satisfied till we all are disarmed ,de-balled ,vegetarian crying commies ,,,,,,,, me 2011

Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #20

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
A lot of people bash Wolf ammo because it uses a berdan primer (has mercury) and say it will destroy your barrel. So will normal gunpowder if you don't clean it. It shoots and feeds just fine, and its a LOT cheaper if your not into reloading (I'm not yet).

The casing isn't high quality, but they go bang. Saves a lot of money though. Would I trust it for Home Defense? Eh, no. I'd rather use American ammo, (Remington UMC for me). So if your looking for a plinking round, its good to go.

Out of the first 90 rounds I shot of a 500 round case, I've had one misfire so far, but no failure to feeds or magazine problems.
Mercuric primers dissapeared before WWII. The EPA would not allow those primers in the U.S. .

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.