Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant

My gun smith says the flash retardant used by ammo makers like Wolf are harmful to AR 15 gas systems. He says they employ simple calcium carbonate powder for flash and the stuff builds up harming the AR.

Even when he sells it in his shop, it is labeled not suitable for AR 15s. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I'd say he's being over cautious. People have run many thousands of rounds of steel case through ARs with no problems. I use it all the time in two ARs with no problems and will continue to do so. The calcium carbonate wrinkle sounds like a rehash of the problems with powder in Vietnam.

I'd say give it a try if you want. Most ARs run it just fine, some don't. Either way it's not going to hurt anything.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

hrm...
there is wolf and bear ammo that i've used in my Spikes Tactical.
nothing you couldn't clean right?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I run tons of Wolf through my ARs. No issues, at all, and I run them hard.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

In the Army we used to throw on blank adapters that literally plug the barrel in order to create enough back pressure to cycle the bolt. Those blank round are just gun powder and are insanely dirty. If the AR can handle that dirty BS then it an handle anything. Unless for some reason the ammo was corrosive.. then I wouldn't shoot it.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #6

True, true, old surplus 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 sure wouldn't be good for the gas tube but today's Russian steel case in .223 is not corrosive and an AR should handle it well.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #7

I also have shoot Wolf ammo. Thinking of getting some Tul ammo as it is supposedly made in the same facility and is slightly cheaper (makes a difference on 1000 rounds).

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Russian Made Ammo

A lot of people bash Wolf ammo because it uses a berdan primer (has mercury) and say it will destroy your barrel. So will normal gunpowder if you don't clean it. It shoots and feeds just fine, and its a LOT cheaper if your not into reloading (I'm not yet).

The casing isn't high quality, but they go bang. Saves a lot of money though. Would I trust it for Home Defense? Eh, no. I'd rather use American ammo, (Remington UMC for me). So if your looking for a plinking round, its good to go.

Out of the first 90 rounds I shot of a 500 round case, I've had one misfire so far, but no failure to feeds or magazine problems.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 AM   #9

Wolf .223 uses standard boxer primers. No matter I guess, it works fine whether you use it for your AR or the berdan primers for your AK.

______

Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterner123 View Post
A lot of people bash Wolf ammo because it uses a berdan primer (has mercury) and say it will destroy your barrel. So will normal gunpowder if you don't clean it. It shoots and feeds just fine, and its a LOT cheaper if your not into reloading (I'm not yet).

The casing isn't high quality, but they go bang. Saves a lot of money though. Would I trust it for Home Defense? Eh, no. I'd rather use American ammo, (Remington UMC for me). So if your looking for a plinking round, its good to go.

Out of the first 90 rounds I shot of a 500 round case, I've had one misfire so far, but no failure to feeds or magazine problems.
Wolf is Boxer primed, and non-corrosive. Guys have even tried reloading it to see how it does, and they report good results.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."