Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/russian-556-steel-case-ammo-flash-retardant-43002/)

dan983 05-25-2011 09:53 PM

Russian 556 steel case ammo-flash retardant

My gun smith says the flash retardant used by ammo makers like Wolf are harmful to AR 15 gas systems. He says they employ simple calcium carbonate powder for flash and the stuff builds up harming the AR.

Even when he sells it in his shop, it is labeled not suitable for AR 15s. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this issue.

Thanks

Quentin 05-26-2011 01:07 AM

I'd say he's being over cautious. People have run many thousands of rounds of steel case through ARs with no problems. I use it all the time in two ARs with no problems and will continue to do so. The calcium carbonate wrinkle sounds like a rehash of the problems with powder in Vietnam.

I'd say give it a try if you want. Most ARs run it just fine, some don't. Either way it's not going to hurt anything.

Gloves 05-26-2011 03:53 AM

hrm...
there is wolf and bear ammo that i've used in my Spikes Tactical.
nothing you couldn't clean right?

M14sRock 05-26-2011 04:21 AM

I run tons of Wolf through my ARs. No issues, at all, and I run them hard.

lancelot86 05-26-2011 05:28 AM

In the Army we used to throw on blank adapters that literally plug the barrel in order to create enough back pressure to cycle the bolt. Those blank round are just gun powder and are insanely dirty. If the AR can handle that dirty BS then it an handle anything. Unless for some reason the ammo was corrosive.. then I wouldn't shoot it.

Quentin 05-26-2011 09:54 AM

True, true, old surplus 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 sure wouldn't be good for the gas tube but today's Russian steel case in .223 is not corrosive and an AR should handle it well.

SoupNazi 05-26-2011 10:58 PM

I also have shoot Wolf ammo. Thinking of getting some Tul ammo as it is supposedly made in the same facility and is slightly cheaper (makes a difference on 1000 rounds).

easterner123 05-27-2011 12:03 AM

Russian Made Ammo

A lot of people bash Wolf ammo because it uses a berdan primer (has mercury) and say it will destroy your barrel. So will normal gunpowder if you don't clean it. It shoots and feeds just fine, and its a LOT cheaper if your not into reloading (I'm not yet).

The casing isn't high quality, but they go bang. Saves a lot of money though. Would I trust it for Home Defense? Eh, no. I'd rather use American ammo, (Remington UMC for me). So if your looking for a plinking round, its good to go.

Out of the first 90 rounds I shot of a 500 round case, I've had one misfire so far, but no failure to feeds or magazine problems.

Quentin 05-27-2011 03:25 AM

Wolf .223 uses standard boxer primers. No matter I guess, it works fine whether you use it for your AR or the berdan primers for your AK.

M14sRock 05-27-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easterner123 (Post 512532)
A lot of people bash Wolf ammo because it uses a berdan primer (has mercury) and say it will destroy your barrel. So will normal gunpowder if you don't clean it. It shoots and feeds just fine, and its a LOT cheaper if your not into reloading (I'm not yet).

The casing isn't high quality, but they go bang. Saves a lot of money though. Would I trust it for Home Defense? Eh, no. I'd rather use American ammo, (Remington UMC for me). So if your looking for a plinking round, its good to go.

Out of the first 90 rounds I shot of a 500 round case, I've had one misfire so far, but no failure to feeds or magazine problems.

Wolf is Boxer primed, and non-corrosive. Guys have even tried reloading it to see how it does, and they report good results.