Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   ruger's ar platform (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rugers-ar-platform-78069/)

JPenn856 12-09-2012 04:01 AM

ruger's ar platform

Looking at ruger's ar 15. Can't seem to find many accounts about it. Anyone own one? Like it? Hate it?

Quentin 12-09-2012 04:27 AM

A lot of us aren't piston fans. A lot of us think for less money you can do better than the Ruger.

Vikingdad 12-09-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1045012)
A lot of us aren't piston fans. A lot of us think for less money you can do better than the Ruger.

Please elaborate on the reasons why you aren't a piston fan. :confused:

trip286 12-09-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1045040)

My thoughts, as a non AR owner...
I've trained on the M16 family though...

The Ruger, and almost all others I've seen and handled (which have been many, with no purchase to date), seem pricey and front heavy.

I personally would go with the DI system. It's what I know, it balances well for me, and it's more common, meaning better (maybe only slightly, I don't know) availability of parts.

Now, If only I had the opportunity to shoot one...

JonM 12-09-2012 12:53 PM

Pistons add a lot of weight out front sending the balance point more forward making the gun seem heavier than it is. There is no gain in reliability or accuracy. Lots of claims with no basis in fact. So you spend more money to simply change how it cycles and worsen the balance of the rifle.

Piston ar shoot like any other ar15.

If you want a piston driven system get one that is designed from the ground up to be such. Scar mini14 garand m1a etc

locutus 12-09-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Stoner designed the AR series for DI
Stoner knew what he was doing
DI works
Pistons add unneeded weight
More parts to break

:D:D:D:D:D

Quentin 12-09-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

For the same reasons that Locutus, JonM and Trip described.

I would like to emphasize that there is a lot of hype out there trying to convince folks something is wrong with the original DI design and that "new and improved gas" will correct all these problems that have plagued us for over 50 years. Of course their true intentions are more about separating you from your money.

Also you are buying into a proprietary system and if it loses the battle of the piston systems, well you'd better get parts while you can. Kinda like buying an Adam computer back in the PC shakeout days. Or HD-DVD. Remember that a firearm often is a lifetime purchase.

Vikingdad 12-09-2012 09:19 PM

All good reasons and thank you all for elaborating. I am relatively new to the AR platform and understood the OP's question, but Quentin's first response did not address the question. Again, thanks for making it clear.

Are there any other reasons besides cost and pistons? (I am not considering one despite being a big Ruger fan- just want to fully flesh out the reasons why not).

Quentin 12-10-2012 02:00 AM

Cost, muzzle weight, complexity, incompatible with millions of standard ARs, slightly less accuracy, carrier tilt, receiver extension wear, no real improvement over DI systems in 99% of ARs and I'm sure a few more I can't think of now.

Quentin 12-10-2012 02:03 AM

BTW, I own and love three Rugers but would never buy a 5.56/.223 Ruger (including the Mini-14).