Ruger SR556 vs Daniel Defense DDM4V3 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Ruger SR556 vs Daniel Defense DDM4V3

View Poll Results: Which will you buy?
Ruger SR556 11 52.38%
Daniel Defense DDM4v3 7 33.33%
Neither, I want something better. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ruger has a very long history of reliability. i agree with almost everything else you said. but im not convinced about the sig556. i would stack my SR against the sig reliability wise. i would toss in my colt SP1 too. the sigs are way more pricey for what they are than the ruger.

my SR556 is pretty much a range only gun. my SP1 is my go to gun for anything to do with rumbling through the woods. its lightweight accurate reliable and works well on two legged evil do-ers. ive had my SP1 since the 80's and i do not believe ive ever had a jam or failure over the years and thousands of rounds fired.

older colts can be had cheaper than the SR or sig cost new.
I'm glad you and many others are happy with yours and I am glad when any manufacturer brings a new firearm to market, especially in todays political climate ...
... but have you looked at the price of a SiG556?

Right now on Gunbroker you can pick up several of the classic folders; buy-it-now for $1,000 ... other models are slightly more. It has a 30+ year history of the SiG550 behind it, military issue and built to withstand the brutal climate of Switzerland.

The least expensive Ruger I found was $1,399 it doesn't fold and only has 1 model available. I don't believe Ruger has ever had a military contract, but I could be wrong. It has no history behind the design but it does have the Ruger warranty which as far as I know has always been excellent. The 3-4 I've looked at a shops and shows have had no WoW factor for me.

Both guns have had "teething problems". I've heard the SR quality is spotty and ... and I've never been impressed by the lack of accuracy mini-14 or mini-30

I think SiG worked through their teething problems at least a generation ago.

Unfortunately I'm Colt-less at the time but I have several other AR's, all of which I built myself, one is a Osprey Defense piston gun which so far I'm happy with ... I'm 53 and have been playing with AR's for 30+ years ... I roll my own and like you I don't remember the last time I had a FTF or FTE.

If you really want something, you'll find a way ...
... if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

kimberkid ... the user formerly known as skydriver.