Ruger SR556 vs Daniel Defense DDM4V3 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR556 vs Daniel Defense DDM4V3

View Poll Results: Which will you buy?
Ruger SR556 11 52.38%
Daniel Defense DDM4v3 7 33.33%
Neither, I want something better. 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So, it must be machined aluminum alloy. I wondered about that and after you load it up with a tactical light, optics, a bayonet, an infra red camera, and what ever, I guess the tactical application of this weapon is about gone.

I didn't look at the weight issue, what is it? What does it weigh? How does the quad rail system mount?

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 11-13-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
So, it must be machined aluminum alloy. I wondered about that and after you load it up with a tactical light, optics, a bayonet, an infra red camera, and what ever, I guess the tactical application of this weapon is about gone.

I didn't look at the weight issue, what is it? What woes it weigh? How does the quad rail system mount?
8 pounds empty no sling just the rifle itself. this is a half pound more than the weight of a full size M16-A2. the quad is machined aluminum very high quality from troy ind. pinned in place by roll pins. the one benefit of the weight there is practically 0 felt recoil and muzzle flip. the gas block has a small built in rail four mounting BUIS which it comes with or a sling swivel which it surprisingly does not.

it is very compact and its currently my go to rifle for home defense. if your looking to do some shoot and scoot type stuff there are better rifles. ruger currently offers the sr556 in 6.8spc as well as 5.56.

trigger has a lot of creep and is very heavy. kinda like a bottom basement mil-surp quality. the lower is not quite milspec its only off by a scootch as my m16 a-1 upper, 45acp upper, rra 458socom, dpms and colt sp1 have difficulties fitting or wont cycle the bolt. dont buy this rifle if you plan on adding other uppers.

all that being said as a total package overall it is excellent as a package and goes boom every pull of the trigger.

after spending some quality time with it i prolly would not buy it again if i had do over just due to the non removable rail for cleaning. i like to detail strip my guns from time to time for thorough cleaning.

Last edited by JonM; 11-13-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks...good information!!

I does make me wonder why, with all the AR type platforms, Ruger chose to pin the rail system? They could just as easily built the rifle on a modular platform that would have allowed personalizations.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

prolly cuz roll pins are cheap. but i dunno it doesnt make much sense to me. its a nasty rainy day and im sitting here typing on the interweb and watching columbo. i think im gonna get the sr at and take a wack at that rail and see exactly what is under it. ill repost if i find anything interesting.

Last edited by JonM; 11-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default daniel defense

I have not owned or shot eithre one but DD gets the nod of approval from everyone I know, in the know. I have shot Bushmaster, DPMS, Stag, and Colt HBAR. The Colt is the best built of those.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 11-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

as you can see its pinned in place by heavy duty roll pins.

the piston is a two stage the second stage is a captive part of the rail so swapping the rail is prolly not going to work so your stuck with the quad. the front gas block pins both have a spiral pattern cut in them to prevent walking and are VERY tightly pinned in. broke my small hammer wacking them out.

on the plus side the bolt carrier key is machined in such a way as to eliminate carrier tilt which is problematic in othe systems. the downside is the extension of the second stage operating rod prevents the use of cmmg style 22lr conversions.

so it can be taken apart but i wouldnt recomend it due to the nature of roll pins the more they move the looser they get. so unless it is rusting in place or excessively muddy i would leave it be. its a big drawback.

Last edited by JonM; 11-13-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #17

I would choose the DD. Yes i am biased i have a DDM4 V4. I like a 6.5 pound carbine . Not front heavy and has a much better ballance than the 8+ pound ARs ive held. DD build quality and customer service are second to none.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cost of each?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #19

I want something better.

The only rugers I've ever cared for is the 10-22 and the MkII

The only AR that has ever held its value in the long run and never fallen from favor is the Colt. Over the last 20 years I've seen many makers go in and out of favor and if you didn't own the current favorite, yours was crap. Just to name a few that are still in business; Armalite, Bushmaster and DPMS and not that long ago if you didn't own a RRA your gun was crap ... the AR has become just another designer product. All these "features" they tout are fine if you are going into battle but who among us is doing that ... and taking their privately owned weapon with them? The odds that you will ever notice a bit of difference between a DPMS or Bushmaster and a Daniel Defense is astronomical. This is not to say I don't own a few different AR's but I'm done buying into the designer of the year gun

If I want a piston gun I'll go for the one that at least has legendary history of reliability behind it ... SiG-556

100yd targets shooting Silverbear it's well within acceptable standards.

If you really want something, you'll find a way ...
... if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

kimberkid ... the user formerly known as skydriver.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
If I want a piston gun I'll go for the one that at least has legendary history of reliability behind it ... SiG-556

ruger has a very long history of reliability. i agree with almost everything else you said. but im not convinced about the sig556. i would stack my SR against the sig reliability wise. i would toss in my colt SP1 too. the sigs are way more pricey for what they are than the ruger.

my SR556 is pretty much a range only gun. my SP1 is my go to gun for anything to do with rumbling through the woods. its lightweight accurate reliable and works well on two legged evil do-ers. ive had my SP1 since the 80's and i do not believe ive ever had a jam or failure over the years and thousands of rounds fired.

older colts can be had cheaper than the SR or sig cost new.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...