Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR556 Railguard Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR556 Railguard Issues

I have a new Ruger Sr-556. Overall I am very satisfied with -- shots well and flawlessly -- it but the Troy Industries rail guards that came with the gun are a tolal POS!!! For the life of me, I can't understand why Ruger invested so heavily in this gun to enter into the AR marketplace and sell it with a totally worthless (frankly worse than worthless) set of rail guards like the Troy Industries version. They rattle and shake and come loose at the worst possible times. I only have about a thousand pampered rounds through the rifle and the railguards will come completely loose after just a couple of shots. I have to be sure and hold the rifle by something else or I am afraid the gun will fall to the deck. I have ordered replacements (from someone else). I am wondering if anyone elseis having the same experience / has the same opinion.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. Congrats.

As much as they want for that rifle, it should be 100% flawless. Hopefully you have contacted Ruger. Let us know what they said.

I would really like to know how that rifle compares to other AR-15 rifles. I am a fan of Ruger, but Colt would be my first pick of ARs unless I am given some compelling advantages to the Ruger.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Hey H8Dirt, congrats on the Ruger. Was looking at that model myself. I would try some good ol' fashioned lock-tite..
I personally went with the Bushmaster piston design. Just a few companies are offering the piston design AR/M4. Question..
After firing many rounds, how was the condition of bolt and upper ? Dirty or pretty clean ?

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #4

Yesicarry: The bolt and carrier are very clean and look just like new. I put on a Burris XTR Tactical in a LaRue mount and it shoots very well. Next add-on: a Wilson trigger group.