Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ruger SR556

Anybody have any experience with the Ruger SR556?? It looks like a well made piece and I'm thinking about springing for one. I'm an AR Noob and would appreciate any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

I wouldn't buy it, especially for a first AR. Unless you have a real reason to choose it over everything else - it's heavy, expensive and doesn't do one thing better than a standard DI AR that costs hundreds less.

To be fair, I haven't fired one, just handled them at the gunshop.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

No personal experience but I havent heard to many good things about them.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

used to have one. my opinion: DONT BUY ONE!!!!

while they are reliable you cannot use a milspec upper on the ruger lower. the triggers are simply horrid. for the money they cost it should at least have a half decent trigger. as noted above very very heavy for what it is.

the sr556 upper does not fit on milspec lowers. i would bet the trigger area is slightly out of spec as well.

i traded mine in on a springfield 1903a3 and was happy about it.

the rails cant be removed they are double roll pinned in (one inside the other very very tightly) so if you get a little dirt or moisture under the rail your screwed when it starts to rust. the piston rod cannot be lubed or cleaned.

sr556 no bueno

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #5

Liked 944 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
used to have one. my opinion: DONT BUY ONE!!!!

while they are reliable you cannot use a milspec upper on the ruger lower. the triggers are simply horrid. for the money they cost it should at least have a half decent trigger. as noted above very very heavy for what it is.

the sr556 upper does not fit on milspec lowers. i would bet the trigger area is slightly out of spec as well.

i traded mine in on a springfield 1903a3 and was happy about it.

the rails cant be removed they are double roll pinned in (one inside the other very very tightly) so if you get a little dirt or moisture under the rail your screwed when it starts to rust. the piston rod cannot be lubed or cleaned.

sr556 no bueno
Wow, great post, JonM!

Many piston ARs at least have a milspec lower, didn't know Ruger's wasn't. Byrd, I think you got your answer...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

dont get me wrong they are very good shooters very reliable and not prone to heat build up long as you dont mind the drawbacks. mine was very very accurate once you worked past the mushy creepy glocky feeling trigger

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have an SR556 and am very pleased with it. It wasn't cheap, $1,350 plus tax, but if you compare it to other AR rifles optioned out the same (or a Sig 556) then it is right in there with any other brand. Yes the rifle is a tad heavier than some, but that weight also seems to settle the rifle down in rapid fire. I believe I can shoot the SR better on the move than I can my other brand AR's. The difference is small mind you, but the hits on the target tell the story. I have read the complaints about the trigger and to be honest I don't feel a difference between the Ruger, a Bushmaster, or a Smith.
Ruger has a lighter version of it's 556 now. 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash suppressor and a fluted barrel. That should address the weight issue for some, but like I said, I like the extra weight. Besides, I've hung gee wiz gadgets and lights on mine that have driven the weight up even more.
I am now a firm believer of the chromed bolt. I can run 100's of rounds of Russian ammo through the Ruger and still just pull out the bolt and wipe it clean in a minute. Rock River also has some models that come with the chromed bolt (I like the specs of the Elite Operator 2) if you want to stay with a traditional gas system.
For a first AR I probably would go with a less expensive base model. The caution is, if you start hanging gear on am AR you will drive the money and weight up.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #8

Your in the same price range as a Daniel Defense.They weigh a tad over 6lbs and are very good ARs. Ruger makes some great stuff but you can do better in the AR world.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
I have an SR556 and am very pleased with it. It wasn't cheap, $1,350 plus tax, but if you compare it to other AR rifles optioned out the same (or a Sig 556) then it is right in there with any other brand. Yes the rifle is a tad heavier than some, but that weight also seems to settle the rifle down in rapid fire. I believe I can shoot the SR better on the move than I can my other brand AR's. The difference is small mind you, but the hits on the target tell the story. I have read the complaints about the trigger and to be honest I don't feel a difference between the Ruger, a Bushmaster, or a Smith.
Ruger has a lighter version of it's 556 now. 14.5" barrel with a 1.5" flash suppressor and a fluted barrel. That should address the weight issue for some, but like I said, I like the extra weight. Besides, I've hung gee wiz gadgets and lights on mine that have driven the weight up even more.
I am now a firm believer of the chromed bolt. I can run 100's of rounds of Russian ammo through the Ruger and still just pull out the bolt and wipe it clean in a minute. Rock River also has some models that come with the chromed bolt (I like the specs of the Elite Operator 2) if you want to stay with a traditional gas system.
For a first AR I probably would go with a less expensive base model. The caution is, if you start hanging gear on am AR you will drive the money and weight up.

I have both an SR556 and a Sr556C, very very pleased with both, they shoot accurately and have never had any failure to feeds or ejects. Trigger pulls were the biggest complaint for me but I knew that going in. They felt very similar to my Colt LE6920 though, so no biggie but I still replaced both with a drop in trigger from Chip McCormick. The Sr556C is lighter due to fluting the heavy barrel under the Troy rails.

Don't forget that Ruger throws in Troy rails and front and rear battlesights as well as Hogue grip - this is a few hundred bucks on their own. Quality? Right up there with a COlt in my opinion. How does it shoot? Well you have to try on your own but their both very sweet shooters. I will always grab these two along with my Colt and FN SCAR 16s when I hit the range.

Rugers make great ARs for the money their short stroke piston designs have proven themselves well thought out and just run and run.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Wow, great post, JonM!

Many piston ARs at least have a milspec lower, didn't know Ruger's wasn't. Byrd, I think you got your answer...
As per Ruger the transfer rod does not need servicing, so I listen to Ruger and leave it be, I've put about 6000 rounds through mine now and so far its worked great. I clean the gun after every range outing, cleaning the gun is very simple and the bolt carrier group stays very clean. The piston comes out easy and its easy enough to clean.

As for the lower, what exactly is not 'milspec' about the Ruger lower? I like to know since I have taken my Ruger lower and connected it to my Colt LE6920 out of curiosity and it worked just fine. The Ruger upper will mate with any AR lower.