Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR-556 - WHo knows what???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had a Ruger SR-556 that I recently traded in. It exhibited significant carrier tilt and was shaving the inside of the buffer tube. I also had some feed problems with the Ruger. I am definitely not a big fan of gas piston ARs. That is just my opinion.

I do love my Colts. I have the LE6940 and LE6920. If you have not checked out the LE6940 it is definitely worth a look. It is a Colt Defense LLC build. Mil Spec components and barrel. Monolithic upper and BUIS iron sights. I heard that the LE guns have been discontinued by Colt and they are plugging the gap with commercial application products.

I also have Stag Arms Model 2 carbine that has been a hell of a weapon. Totally reliable with no issues. I just passed 3000 rounds on it.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #22

Liked 921 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
An assault rifle is a rifle used to assault another person. A red ryder bb gun can be an assault rifle if it is used tobassault someone.

M16s the full auto sort are not assault rifles unless that individual rifle was used in a criminal assault.

There has only ever been one murder with a legally private owned automatic weapon. A police officer was using a nfa registered full auto to commit murder for hire...

So for any rifle to become an assault rifle it first has to be used in a crime. Anything else are just rifles
I can't agree with this, we're not talking about the definition of the word "assault" we're discussing the term "assault rifle" as described by fsted2a:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Everyone has their own definition of an Assault Rifle. The military one happens to be one with a select fire option to have more than one shot per trigger squeeze for LIMITED suppression fire. The AR in AR 15 or AR 10 is for Armalite.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5108 Times on 2658 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I can't agree with this, we're not talking about the definition of the word "assault" we're discussing the term "assault rifle" as described by fsted2a:
Im using the term as it should be used. The media uses the word assault way out of context so its lost its meaning. They use it to equate all firearms bolt action pump semi auto or auto with a violent criminal act in order to demonize gun ownership.

The historical meaning is a rifle of intermediate caliber with select fire capability fed from a detachable box magazine or clip if you prefer.

But the media has been portraying semi autos as "assault rifles" to give it an evil connotation to the uneducated. When people hear the word assault they think of someone battering another person in a criminal act.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Well, my opinion is if ya gotta have a high dollar rifle, I would go with an Armalite . Operates smooth as owl doo doo, and have long life expectancies.
Just my .02
Have you ever seen owl feces? It's anything but smooth. Actually it's usually filled with bones lol

Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #25

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickK1974 View Post
I had a Ruger SR-556 that I recently traded in. It exhibited significant carrier tilt and was shaving the inside of the buffer tube. I also had some feed problems with the Ruger.
Not too familiar with the Ruger, but my Ares piston upgrade carbine has a heavier mass carrier that doesn't have any carrier tilt. Some piston systems are ok; some not so much so. Mine is really reliable. For the 20 inch rifles, I use a standard DI system. Cheaper and still reliable. A lot of the reliability issues relating to the DI system are due to inferior parts or improper installation. The DI system was designed for a 20 inch rifle. When you shorten the barrel length, that is the only time you have any advantage using the piston systems. And then you start losing the lower weight advantage of a short barrel rifle. You also start having more moving parts to deal with. I use to be a staunch supporter of pistons, but lately I have been realizing that most of my complaints with the DI system were due to the crap I always had to draw out of the arms room that had lowest bidder parts improperly installed, and poorly maintained. When your magazine well is so tight that you have to hammer the magazine in, you have a problem. When your gas rings are so worn that your bolt slides in the carrier as if they weren't there, you have a problem. When your carrier is stopped when it contacts the gas tube, you have a problem. When you don't know if you are getting the same weapon you drew last time, you have a problem. What I am saying is, if you have a crap gun, it is a crap gun no matter the system.

Last edited by fsted2a; 11-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a

Not too familiar with the Ruger, but my Ares piston upgrade carbine has a heavier mass carrier that doesn't have any carrier tilt. Some piston systems are ok; some not so much so. Mine is really reliable. For the 20 inch rifles, I use a standard DI system. Cheaper and still reliable. A lot of the reliability issues relating to the DI system are due to inferior parts or improper installation. The DI system was designed for a 20 inch rifle. When you shorten the barrel length, that is the only time you have any advantage using the piston systems. And then you start losing the lower weight advantage of a short barrel rifle. You also start having more moving parts to deal with. I use to be a staunch supporter of pistons, but lately I have been realizing that most of my complaints with the DI system were due to the crap I always had to draw out of the arms room that had lowest bidder parts improperly installed, and poorly maintained. When your magazine well is so tight that you have to hammer the magazine in, you have a problem. When your gas rings are so worn that your bolt slides in the carrier as if they weren't there, you have a problem. When your carrier is stopped when it contacts the gas tube, you have a problem. When you don't know if you are getting the same weapon you drew last time, you have a problem. What I am saying is, if you have a crap gun, it is a crap gun no matter the system.
Well said and very true.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #27

Well call me a boob... I really didn't know AR meant; ARmalite... Does it really??? I had no intentions of "spreading anti-gun sentiments," I really thought AR meant Assault Rifle.

But that DOES bring me to another point. Recently President O' signed an "order" BANNING the thousands of Garands that S. Korea was trying to sell to collectors or gun enthusiasts in the U.S. He refered to the M1-Garand as an "Assault Rifle." Is this what you mean by "anti-gun sentiments?"

Sorry for the confusion. I shoulda' looked it up on wiki-pedia

Glen

Last edited by Brother_COM; 11-23-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spell