Ruger SR-556 - WHo knows what??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR-556 - WHo knows what???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

I seem to be getting more paranoid and self defense oriented every day. Probably for good reason, looking at the headlines - they ARE coming after you! For most of my adult years I was content with a .357 or 1911 or 30-30. Now I depend on a quality AR and a couple Glocks. And still have the old stand-bys for back up. Now where did I put my tin foil hat!

Anyway, to try to steer back on topic, I just don't see the Ruger as the best choice in an AR but of course we all have different objectives.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #12

I've also looked into the ADCOR B.E.A.R Defense AR. It's also a Piston Driven Gun. But you guys stay say clear huh? I can get a RR Elite Operator with Flip-Up (TROY sights) for $1,000. That seemed like a good deal. is anybody familiar with those regular DI rifles?

Thanks for the wisdom guys!

I wanted to share something funny that happened last night: I play in an on-line Call of Duty gaming clan and we get guests from time to time. Last night I was talking to one of our players about ARs. Another guy said, "WTF is an AR?" I said,"AR = Assault Rifle." He retorted, "WHo the hell needs an Assault Rifle these days?!" We all laughed, and then I replied, "Next year EVERYONE is probably going to need an Assault Rifle!"

Thanks again guys!
Glen

Last edited by Brother_COM; 11-24-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #13

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_COM
I've also looked into the ADCOR B.E.A.R Defense AR. It's also a Piston Driven Gun. But you guys stay say clear huh? I can get a RR Elite Operator with Flip-Up (can't remember the brand of sights) for $1,000. That seemed like a good deal. is anybody familiar with those regular DI rifles?

I wanted to share something funny that happened last night: I play in an on-line Call of Duty gaming clan and we get guests from time to time. Last night I was talking to one of our players about ARs. Another guy said, "WTF is an AR?" I said,"AR = Assault Rifle." He retorted, "WHo the hell needs an Assault Rifle these days?!" We all laughed, and then I replied, "Next year EVERYONE is probably going to need an Assault Rifle!"

Thanks again guys!
Glen
that's kind of funny, but just so you know, AR doesn't mean assault rifle except in the eyes of mainstream media. AR is actually the abbreviation of the company that first produced them, Armalite. Theirs is the only true AR. that's why we have M&P15, R15 and so on. AR is trademarked by Amalite.

Not trying to chew on you, but even an unknowing misrepresentation can sometimes be harmful.

The original assault rifles were the smooth bore muskets that won us our freedom.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #14

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_COM View Post
I've also looked into the ADCOR B.E.A.R Defense AR. It's also a Piston Driven Gun. But you guys stay say clear huh? I can get a RR Elite Operator with Flip-Up (can't remember the brand of sights) for $1,000. That seemed like a good deal. is anybody familiar with those regular DI rifles?

Thanks again guys!
Glen
Hey BC, we don't want to use and spread anti-gunner terms here. AR does NOT stand for "assault rifle", it stands for "ARmalite" which used AR as its prefix for their firearms models. AR-15 was ... well, the AR-15. And the AK lookalikes 99% of us are able to buy also are NOT select fire so are NOT assault rifles.

Same goes for the term "High Capacity", it is carefully designed and used to hurt the honest gun bearing American, so use Standard Capacity and Low Capacity when talking magazines. If a firearm is designed for 15 or 20 or 30 rounds then that's standard. Ten rounds is not standard capacity, it's low capacity or reduced capacity.

Not bashing you, just letting you know how insidious the other side is and we do not want to play their game.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #15

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

They are "SUR" Sport Utility Rifles

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 11-22-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

An assault rifle is a rifle used to assault another person. A red ryder bb gun can be an assault rifle if it is used tobassault someone.

M16s the full auto sort are not assault rifles unless that individual rifle was used in a criminal assault.

There has only ever been one murder with a legally private owned automatic weapon. A police officer was using a nfa registered full auto to commit murder for hire...

So for any rifle to become an assault rifle it first has to be used in a crime. Anything else are just rifles

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #17

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Guys,'m sorta disapointed in my mini... (sorry Mini-14 lovers) I always knew I couldn't get SUPER great accuracy with it, but even experimenting with 5 or 6 different loads couldn't get me the accuracy i thoyght I'd be able to achieve.
So my next rifle will be a Ruger SR-556! (unless you guys laugh me to scron!)

What can I expect for accuracy from it?

I shot a nice gas driven competition AR last weekend and even having never shot this competition rifel before, I qualified with it! Army AQT.

So am I wrong in thinkin the SR-556 will be more accurate than the mini-14? Will it be as accurate as a $1250 AR?

Let the comments fly!

Thanks in advance,

Glen
Well, my opinion is if ya gotta have a high dollar rifle, I would go with an Armalite . Operates smooth as owl doo doo, and have long life expectancies.
Just my .02

Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I seem to be getting more paranoid and self defense oriented every day. Probably for good reason, looking at the headlines - they ARE coming after you! For most of my adult years I was content with a .357 or 1911 or 30-30. Now I depend on a quality AR and a couple Glocks. And still have the old stand-bys for back up. Now where did I put my tin foil hat!

Anyway, to try to steer back on topic, I just don't see the Ruger as the best choice in an AR but of course we all have different objectives.
Yeah, but they make good .22's.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #19

Quote:

Thanks again guys!
Glen
Everyone has their own definition of an Assault Rifle. The military one happens to be one with a select fire option to have more than one shot per trigger squeeze for LIMITED suppression fire. The AR in AR 15 or AR 10 is for Armalite.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #20

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Everyone has their own definition of an Assault Rifle. The military one happens to be one with a select fire option to have more than one shot per trigger squeeze for LIMITED suppression fire. The AR in AR 15 or AR 10 is for Armalite.
Yes, different people have different definitions of "Assault Rifle" (stated mine above). I for one, never even used the term "assault rifle" while in the service (not that I recall anyway) I called the M16 a service rifle or just rifle, and Machine Guns I just called guns. You know the Marine Corps has a thing about using the word "rifle" instead of "gun", but I got out of arguments by pointing out that it is very clearly stamped on my receiver "Machine Gun" and not "Service Rifle"