Ruger SR-556 - WHo knows what???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR-556 - WHo knows what???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR-556 - WHo knows what???

Guys,'m sorta disapointed in my mini... (sorry Mini-14 lovers) I always knew I couldn't get SUPER great accuracy with it, but even experimenting with 5 or 6 different loads couldn't get me the accuracy i thoyght I'd be able to achieve.
So my next rifle will be a Ruger SR-556! (unless you guys laugh me to scron!)

What can I expect for accuracy from it?

I shot a nice gas driven competition AR last weekend and even having never shot this competition rifel before, I qualified with it! Army AQT.

So am I wrong in thinkin the SR-556 will be more accurate than the mini-14? Will it be as accurate as a $1250 AR?

Let the comments fly!

Thanks in advance,
Glen

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

The SR-556 is all right and certainly more accurate than the Mini-14 but why not go with a normal direct gas impingment AR? For your $1250 you can get a top quality DI AR that will expose the SR-556's warts - the first being excessively muzzle heavy. Ruger, no matter how fine their other firearms are, is not your first choice in ARs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

i would pass on the ruger sr556 unless you just GOTTA have a ruger. there are a LOT better ar15 out there than the sr556 for less money.

its a damn heavy gun in feel mostly because its not balanced well. had one it shot ok but it was more on par in accuracy with a 700$ ar15 than the price ruger is asking.

with the exception of their 22lr pistols and basic 10/22 ive always felt ruger was way more $$$ than the accuracy of their firearms delivered.

functionally it worked well but as i used it more i realized they just basically dropped every troy accessory they could find on a so-so ar15 build.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I've always thought the Ruger AR looked nice but stayed away due to the reports on it being overweight.

The guys here have reported RRA to make accurate ARs. I personally like BCM and Daniel Defense. They both have been very accurate for me. Disclaimer: I shoot/practice/train, whatever you want to call it, mostly for personal defense. I rarely as in never stretch things past 100 yards. Reason being I figure my days of engaging a target past 50 yards is long gone.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat
I've always thought the Ruger AR looked nice but stayed away due to the reports on it being overweight.
I handled one in a local gun store, and yeah it's pretty heavy, I'd say outrageously heavy for an AR.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

I will second MJ's thoughts on the Rock River Arms Rifles. NO one makes a more accurate and quality AR than those guys. There are other nice ARs in the market. But none any better than the RRAs. Not to mention their rifles come standard with the 2 Stage NM Trigger which is fantastic, Rubber Pistol Grip and other accessories in the standard package and their varmint and predator rifles are literaly tac drivers. 1/4-1/2 MOA consistent groups. Even the 16" tactical rifles you can expect 1/2-1 MOA groups.
Good luck and as the guys have stated do not mess around buy the best you can buy or build and you will never be sorry! Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

I've got a ruger 556 and a Sig and they don't impress me, get a colt ar, you can't go wrong

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I will second MJ's thoughts on the Rock River Arms Rifles. NO one makes a more accurate and quality AR than those guys. There are other nice ARs in the market. But none any better than the RRAs. Not to mention their rifles come standard with the 2 Stage NM Trigger which is fantastic, Rubber Pistol Grip and other accessories in the standard package and their varmint and predator rifles are literaly tac drivers. 1/4-1/2 MOA consistent groups. Even the 16" tactical rifles you can expect 1/2-1 MOA groups.
Good luck and as the guys have stated do not mess around buy the best you can buy or build and you will never be sorry! Good Luck!

Now I wouldn't go that far, lol. But for a yote gun I'm told they do well.

I've really been doing some thinking and have come to the conclusion different manufacturers appear to target a certain audience or at least do better at manufacturing ARs for specific purposes. RRA seems to be the choice for predator hunting and the likes while BCM, DD, LMT, Colt, KAC are geared toward the war fighter or "professional". DD is however getting into the hunting game w/ their new side venture Ambush 6.8s.

Last edited by mjkeat; 11-21-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #9

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Now I wouldn't go that far, lol. But for a yote gun I'm told they (RRA) do well...
Now why did I know that was coming!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Now why did I know that was coming!

If I wanted a 5.56 for hunting RRA would be in the running but I have a 300BLK to fill that role. Really nothing against them theres just better ARs out there when it comes to fulfilling my needs. Needs, as in the desire to quiet my hyper vigilance. The majority of my firearms are purchased w/ security in mind. I don't know why I'm so obsesed w/ it but I am. I swear I'm becoming more like those combat vets on tv every day