Ruger SR-556
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR-556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR-556

I'm fresh off the boat when it comes to the AR realm. A good friend has me (almost) ready to order a new 556. I fired two 30 rd mags through his AR and loved it! In fact, I never thought I'd ever own an AR until now.

I'd rather spend the extra bucks to get a better product......as long as the extra bucks are truly getting me a better product.

In all likelihood, I'll be using the AR for home defense and target plinking.

Worth the money or should I be ordering a Bushmaster catalog about now??

It's not the size of the dog in the fight.
It's the size of the fight in the dog!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Used to have a sr556. For their price range totally not worth it. Rra and others make a much better ar15 than ruger for better price.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 1001 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

I like Ruger but wouldn't consider buying their SR-556. Front heavy, expensive and mediocre. I'd pass on the BM catalog too. Lots of better ARs out there! Just look at a few recent threads here.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As much as i like Ruger, the SR556 has been removed from my list due to you just don't get as much as you pay for IMO. Besides i'd go with DI for your first AR, some piston guns tend to be finicky but your money your decision

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This subject is brought up so much that there should be a poll to rank AR manufactures by the members. I don't want to start an arguement about preferences but simple say rank these 10 manufactures in order of what you would buy. BCM,DD,Noveske,Stag,PSA, etc up to 10-20. Then sticky the SOB!

You could even just rank uppers and throw lowers in to cats of billet, forge, cast -.

Anyway just though I'd throw it out there

To answer OP, depends on price range and furniture wanted, but bare bones - PSA good value/quality, I like BCM, DD and Noveske though. I do have a PSA lower though which I plan on putting 300blk upper on.

peace

Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Liked 1129 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerlite View Post
To answer OP, depends on price range and furniture wanted, but bare bones - PSA good value/quality, I like BCM, DD and Noveske though. I do have a PSA lower though which I plan on putting 300blk upper on.

peace
Just to add , These are all great selections above , you wont go wrong with any of them . Plus you really need to have a $$$ amount your willing to spend , include the gun , sights, optics if you plan on using them , mags and ammo .

Old 02-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I am fortunate to compare many ARs back to back with different setups.

Your asking about the Ruger SR556 as your first AR? Personally I think they are great guns, too many people say they aren't worth the money but I say they are. Its all up to you...

As a first AR? Maybe a Colt LE6920 Direct Impingement may be your best bet.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5697 Times on 3221 Posts
Likes Given: 5106

Almost anything but Ruger. Colt is pretty much top of the line, and a good investment because of the Colt name.

I also have a Bushmaster and love it. The Bushmaster is normally my "go to" shooter, since my old Colt SP1 has the slow twist and triangular handguards.

If money wasn't a concern, I'd take a hard look at LM&T.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #9

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretro77
I am fortunate to compare many ARs back to back with different setups.

You're stuff puts me in awe haha

Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
You're stuff puts me in awe haha
Thanks ShagNasty1001!

I remembered that earlier last year I snapped pics of the internals that a lot of people do not usually see of the SR556. 500+ rounds that day I decided to clean out the piston area, it didn't really need it but I like to be fairly thorough after having a fun range day. No Failure to feed or ejects.

Here's how the gast piston looks like, keeping all the heat, carbon in this area and not back to the BCG area:

regulator:

piston itself, 2 stage design:

Chrome lined BCG looking very clean even after 500+ rounds of regular Winchester white box 55 grain FMJ ammo:

It really didn;t need any cleaning at this point but I still did.

I've also shot other makes of ARs, the Ruger has a very nice point-ability to it and very accurate. Its a bit heavier but you do gain a heavy barrel for the weight and your options to configure is very high thanks to the length of rail. I find the weight allows you to stay on target under rapid fire. The Troy rails are thin profile - especially with ladder rail covers. Troy battlesights comes with the gun and I love Hogue grips. The gas block is very robust, has plenty of surface area which serves as a very good heat sink to dissipate heat when shot rapidly.

The SR556C is just like the SR556 but has a fluted barrel under the rail for lighter weight. Shorter barrel but the flash hider is one piece with the barrel.

One of the sweetest shooting ARs out there. Only the FN SCAR 16S has lower felt recoil. The SR556C is accurate, built like a tank, allows plenty of customization and dependable. Great gun! I wouldn't recommend it if I haven't actually shot it and went through the maintenance process of it as well. Great job Ruger!

Last edited by goretro77; 02-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.