Ruger SR-556
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Ruger SR-556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger SR-556

Has anyone used the Ruger SR-556? I'm just not sure it's worth $1995.00 so I figured if I see if anyone had experience with it.

BTW. I'm planning on building my own AR-15 but I'm just curious about the SR556.

http://ruger.com/products/sr556/specSheets/5905.html

--
Epic Tactical - Gun reviews and more!

Love guns? Wanna talk about them? Apply within!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Probably more realistic price of about $1450. That is all I know, besides I would like to have one myself.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

i paid 1400 for mine. its a great rifle but a little on the heavy side. its got like 0 recoil due to the weight. lots of fun to crank off rounds. great truck gun, bad gun to hump thru the brush. trigger is a little on the rough side.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Probably more realistic price of about $1450. That is all I know, besides I would like to have one myself.
Yea, still a little pricey compared to a built one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i paid 1400 for mine. its a great rifle but a little on the heavy side. its got like 0 recoil due to the weight. lots of fun to crank off rounds. great truck gun, bad gun to hump thru the brush. trigger is a little on the rough side.
Hmm interesting. Can you compare it to the S&W M&P15?

--

Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemic View Post

No!, Apples and Oranges my friend...Apples and Oranges.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemic View Post

not really. i dont own one nor have i fired one. the mp15 is a DGI and the SR556 is a piston gun kinda two different things. the sr 556 comes with a nice quadrail and troy industries BUIS and three pmag 30 round mags it also has a REALLY nice soft side case.

the things i DONT like about it is the lower does NOT swap with my milspec uppers. it also does NOT work with my .22LR CMMG conversion but currently this is endemic to all piston guns it is a drawback of the piston system not the SR specifically. the rail system on the SR is not easilly removed to clean under it. once i figured THAT one out its purely a dust free range rifle and no longer goes on coyote hunts.

if your looking at a SR as a first AR i would go for a different gun. my SR556 is number 5 in my AR collection.

i am also not a fan of S&W in general their quality has always seemed cheap. i guess i got that from their 659 line it just left a life long impression on me. im sure their mp15 is a fine rifle.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
No!, Apples and Oranges my friend...Apples and Oranges.
Valid point but I had to ask and to be honest I didn't even realize it was piston based AR. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
not really. i dont own one nor have i fired one. the mp15 is a DGI and the SR556 is a piston gun kinda two different things. the sr 556 comes with a nice quadrail and troy industries BUIS and three pmag 30 round mags it also has a REALLY nice soft side case.

the things i DONT like about it is the lower does NOT swap with my milspec uppers. it also does NOT work with my .22LR CMMG conversion but currently this is endemic to all piston guns it is a drawback of the piston system not the SR specifically. the rail system on the SR is not easilly removed to clean under it. once i figured THAT one out its purely a dust free range rifle and no longer goes on coyote hunts.

if your looking at a SR as a first AR i would go for a different gun. my SR556 is number 5 in my AR collection.

i am also not a fan of S&W in general their quality has always seemed cheap. i guess i got that from their 659 line it just left a life long impression on me. im sure their mp15 is a fine rifle.
This wouldn't be my first AR. But I really appreciate all the information. I like the gun a lot but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $1400 for it at this point.

--

Old 06-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A good S&W can be picked up around 850-950 depending, but isn't really a great way to achieve bang for buck right now. Don't get me wrong about the S&W, I love mine (in fact, wouldn't give it up for anything short of a KAC or POF), great, reliable, smooth shooting fun rifle. Building yourself could come in around 550-650 if you shop it out for a basic M4 carbine style AR with bottom feeder parts. 700-750 would put you into a nice DPMS/Spikes or pure DPMS build with excellent quality but no real bells and whistles.

If you're looking into something really nice and has the "botique" kinda custom feel to it while keeping milspec, Addax Tactical makes really nice uppers in the ~1000 dollar range, often coming with DD, LaRue and other nice branded rail systems already installed. Getting one of those and a Spikes lower (250-ish) puts you in under 1400 for a VERY nice rifle, already pretty tricked out with some sweet toys preinstalled.

My favorite over at Addax is this one for $1025: http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1530&idcategory=0
DD Lite 14.0, DD barrel, and DD low profile gas block, good stuffs. A similar upper from DD is around 25 bucks cheaper, but only comes with the plain-jane (rather unexciting in my book, but very cost effective) A2 suppressor instead of the cooler Phantom that the Addax has.

A slightly cheaper by around 100 bucks route, if you don't mind a rounded rail system is the YHM Black Diamond Specter for 899 at Cheaperthendirt. Very nice upper, using one with an inbound Spikes lower for my wife's first ever gun. Forget starting her on something teeny, my wife is worthy of starting off with something that has some grunt to it. A huge plus to this route over the Addax isn't just the 100 dollar savings, but it comes with BUIS included in the price while the Addax does not.

Last edited by moshpit; 06-08-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Smith & Wesson makes an excellent piston system AR. I shot a friends SR556 and thought it to be very muzzle heavy so I bought the Smith and Wesson. The M&P15ps weighs a light 6.5 lbs and swings very easily. It has been a great troublefree AR. S&W has jumped into the AR market in a big way and I find their quality to be excellent. With their lifetime warranty you can't go wrong. The only mods I made to my M&P15ps were the installation of an ArmaLite two stage trigger and the addition of a Magpul CRT stock. Topped it off with an ACOG TA11 and I have a very good shooting package.

dsc08349.jpg  

Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

I've had a S&W rifle for a few years now but it's not piston driven. I really like having a diversified portfolio of guns so I'm looking into another AR platform that is piston driven.

Thanks for the information I'm hoping to pick up a S&W upper that is piston driven but we shall see.

--