Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Ruger SR-556 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ruger-sr-556-a-28052/)

savagemic 06-07-2010 11:41 PM

Ruger SR-556
 
Has anyone used the Ruger SR-556? I'm just not sure it's worth $1995.00 so I figured if I see if anyone had experience with it.

BTW. I'm planning on building my own AR-15 but I'm just curious about the SR556.

http://ruger.com/products/sr556/specSheets/5905.html

Shihan 06-07-2010 11:53 PM

Probably more realistic price of about $1450. That is all I know, besides I would like to have one myself.

JonM 06-08-2010 12:02 AM

i paid 1400 for mine. its a great rifle but a little on the heavy side. its got like 0 recoil due to the weight. lots of fun to crank off rounds. great truck gun, bad gun to hump thru the brush. trigger is a little on the rough side.

savagemic 06-08-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 296438)
Probably more realistic price of about $1450. That is all I know, besides I would like to have one myself.

Yea, still a little pricey compared to a built one.


Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 296448)
i paid 1400 for mine. its a great rifle but a little on the heavy side. its got like 0 recoil due to the weight. lots of fun to crank off rounds. great truck gun, bad gun to hump thru the brush. trigger is a little on the rough side.

Hmm interesting. Can you compare it to the S&W M&P15?

Shihan 06-08-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savagemic (Post 296481)
Yea, still a little pricey compared to a built one.

Hmm interesting. Can you compare it to the S&W M&P15?

No!, Apples and Oranges my friend...Apples and Oranges.

JonM 06-08-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savagemic (Post 296481)
Yea, still a little pricey compared to a built one.




Hmm interesting. Can you compare it to the S&W M&P15?

not really. i dont own one nor have i fired one. the mp15 is a DGI and the SR556 is a piston gun kinda two different things. the sr 556 comes with a nice quadrail and troy industries BUIS and three pmag 30 round mags it also has a REALLY nice soft side case.

the things i DONT like about it is the lower does NOT swap with my milspec uppers. it also does NOT work with my .22LR CMMG conversion but currently this is endemic to all piston guns it is a drawback of the piston system not the SR specifically. the rail system on the SR is not easilly removed to clean under it. once i figured THAT one out its purely a dust free range rifle and no longer goes on coyote hunts.

if your looking at a SR as a first AR i would go for a different gun. my SR556 is number 5 in my AR collection.

i am also not a fan of S&W in general their quality has always seemed cheap. i guess i got that from their 659 line :rolleyes: it just left a life long impression on me. im sure their mp15 is a fine rifle.

savagemic 06-08-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shihan (Post 296486)
No!, Apples and Oranges my friend...Apples and Oranges.

Valid point but I had to ask and to be honest I didn't even realize it was piston based AR. :P


Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 296499)
not really. i dont own one nor have i fired one. the mp15 is a DGI and the SR556 is a piston gun kinda two different things. the sr 556 comes with a nice quadrail and troy industries BUIS and three pmag 30 round mags it also has a REALLY nice soft side case.

the things i DONT like about it is the lower does NOT swap with my milspec uppers. it also does NOT work with my .22LR CMMG conversion but currently this is endemic to all piston guns it is a drawback of the piston system not the SR specifically. the rail system on the SR is not easilly removed to clean under it. once i figured THAT one out its purely a dust free range rifle and no longer goes on coyote hunts.

if your looking at a SR as a first AR i would go for a different gun. my SR556 is number 5 in my AR collection.

i am also not a fan of S&W in general their quality has always seemed cheap. i guess i got that from their 659 line :rolleyes: it just left a life long impression on me. im sure their mp15 is a fine rifle.

This wouldn't be my first AR. But I really appreciate all the information. I like the gun a lot but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $1400 for it at this point.

moshpit 06-08-2010 03:32 AM

A good S&W can be picked up around 850-950 depending, but isn't really a great way to achieve bang for buck right now. Don't get me wrong about the S&W, I love mine (in fact, wouldn't give it up for anything short of a KAC or POF), great, reliable, smooth shooting fun rifle. Building yourself could come in around 550-650 if you shop it out for a basic M4 carbine style AR with bottom feeder parts. 700-750 would put you into a nice DPMS/Spikes or pure DPMS build with excellent quality but no real bells and whistles.

If you're looking into something really nice and has the "botique" kinda custom feel to it while keeping milspec, Addax Tactical makes really nice uppers in the ~1000 dollar range, often coming with DD, LaRue and other nice branded rail systems already installed. Getting one of those and a Spikes lower (250-ish) puts you in under 1400 for a VERY nice rifle, already pretty tricked out with some sweet toys preinstalled.

My favorite over at Addax is this one for $1025: http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1530&idcategory=0
DD Lite 14.0, DD barrel, and DD low profile gas block, good stuffs. A similar upper from DD is around 25 bucks cheaper, but only comes with the plain-jane (rather unexciting in my book, but very cost effective) A2 suppressor instead of the cooler Phantom that the Addax has.

A slightly cheaper by around 100 bucks route, if you don't mind a rounded rail system is the YHM Black Diamond Specter for 899 at Cheaperthendirt. Very nice upper, using one with an inbound Spikes lower for my wife's first ever gun. Forget starting her on something teeny, my wife is worthy of starting off with something that has some grunt to it. A huge plus to this route over the Addax isn't just the 100 dollar savings, but it comes with BUIS included in the price while the Addax does not.

mag318 06-17-2010 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Smith & Wesson makes an excellent piston system AR. I shot a friends SR556 and thought it to be very muzzle heavy so I bought the Smith and Wesson. The M&P15ps weighs a light 6.5 lbs and swings very easily. It has been a great troublefree AR. S&W has jumped into the AR market in a big way and I find their quality to be excellent. With their lifetime warranty you can't go wrong. The only mods I made to my M&P15ps were the installation of an ArmaLite two stage trigger and the addition of a Magpul CRT stock. Topped it off with an ACOG TA11 and I have a very good shooting package.

savagemic 06-17-2010 06:30 PM

I've had a S&W rifle for a few years now but it's not piston driven. I really like having a diversified portfolio of guns so I'm looking into another AR platform that is piston driven.

Thanks for the information I'm hoping to pick up a S&W upper that is piston driven but we shall see.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.