Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA Upper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default RRA Upper?

So a buddy of mine has a brand new RRA 20" upper, and scope, and the only rounds shot through it are the 15that he used to sight it in. I offered to buy it off of him and he said 500 and its mine. Just wondering if this is a good deal or not, i know its 1:9 but he said its not a big deal. So any advice for me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetics View Post
So a buddy of mine has a brand new RRA 20" upper, and scope, and the only rounds shot through it are the 15that he used to sight it in. I offered to buy it off of him and he said 500 and its mine. Just wondering if this is a good deal or not, i know its 1:9 but he said its not a big deal. So any advice for me?
Generally speaking that's a fair price for a RRA upper but not a great deal...depending on the model and the quality of the scope. RRA has several 20" barreled uppers, some sell for $500 or so brand new, not including shipping and tax. Here's a link to their site...check out what they offer and decide if your friend's offer is a good one.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID= 200

Here's a National Match thats retails at about $750 and a standard midlength that sells for $550. Similar profile, different parts.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-08-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the link But basically, what i really want to know is, is the 1:9 twist going to be a problem at all? like am i going to have to buy specific ammo or anything for it? Also how easy/hard would it be to replace the front sight post with a low profile block?

Last edited by Kinetics; 04-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Thanks for the link But basically, what i really want to know is, is the 1:9 twist going to be a problem at all? like am i going to have to buy specific ammo or anything for it? Also how easy/hard would it be to replace the front sight post with a low profile block?
The 1:9 twist will handle the 55 grain bullets just fine, which appears to be the most common weight on store shelves. If you want to bump up to ~70 grain or heavier, then a 1:8 or 1:7 would be better.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're going to butcher it, just order one from some manufacturer with the features you want and leave the one your buddy has for someone who appreciates the finer points of a RRA upper.

I love my RRA upper with 1:9 twist. It's deadly accurate and works flawlessly.

What makes you think you have to chop the front sight off OP?

Old 04-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #6

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

You will not have any issues with a 1 in 9" twist barrel. It is the most common you'll find in AR-15's because it offers the widest variety of different ammunition to be shot through it with favorable results. As was mentioned, you only "need" a 1 in 7" twist if you are going to shoot heavy weight bullets, (above 70 grains), or else the extremely long projectile L-110 Tracer rounds. I've yet to see anyone shooting those outside the military. 90% of the .223 / 5.56 MM ammunition put down the bore of AR-15 rifles falls into the 55 to 67 grain category. A 1 in 9" twist barrel will handle those fine, and with probably more accuracy than a 1 in 7" will. A 1 in 9" twist will also allow you to shoot the lighter thinner jacketed varmint bullets. A 1 in 7" twist will over rotate many of these bullets causing a severe loss of accuracy, or worse disintegrate them before they ever reach the target.

For most all civilian applications, and even most military, a 1 in 9" twist will offer you more than you will give up with a 1 in 7". The main reason the military went to the quicker 1 in 7" barrel is because most all tracer rounds are very long. Long bullets, not necessarily heavy, require a faster twist to be properly stabilized. The 1 in 7" twist gets the call more often than not because of it's Mil-Spec requirement, not because it offers anything "better", as so many are led to believe. I've found that in bench rest shooting with 55 and 62 grain bullets, where the human element has been removed, all of my 1 in 9" twist barrels offer up better accuracy than my 1 in 7" Colts do.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #7

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you have a GOOD 1/8 pin punch, you can with some effort, get the pin out that holds the front sight. You can also dremel it off, but like snakedriver posted, why go to all that trouble. Just get one that you want. If you bought the upper at such a fantastic deal, I would say go ahead, but for that amount buy what you want and go from there.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One other thing? You say he's tossing in the scope as well. Exactly what kind of scope are we talking about?

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
If you're going to butcher it, just order one from some manufacturer with the features you want and leave the one your buddy has for someone who appreciates the finer points of a RRA upper.

I love my RRA upper with 1:9 twist. It's deadly accurate and works flawlessly.

What makes you think you have to chop the front sight off OP?
Its just personal preference, i think that "butchering" is the wrong term, im going to make it the way that i want it, and i was just asking how hard it would be to remove it, who knows i might keep it on. Anyways thanks for your second comment, its great to hear that you enjoy yours as i will probably be buying this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
One other thing? You say he's tossing in the scope as well. Exactly what kind of scope are we talking about?
Its nothing special, just some 50$ scope not going to influence my purchase

Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Its just personal preference, i think that "butchering" is the wrong term, im going to make it the way that i want it, and i was just asking how hard it would be to remove it, who knows i might keep it on. Anyways thanks for your second comment, its great to hear that you enjoy yours as i will probably be buying this.

Its nothing special, just some 50$ scope not going to influence my purchase
Sounds like all you really want to do is go to flip up rather than fixed front sights, and your local gunsmith should be able to do that for a reasonable fee.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?