Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   RRA Upper? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rra-upper-62077/)

Kinetics 04-08-2012 06:29 AM

RRA Upper?

So a buddy of mine has a brand new RRA 20" upper, and scope, and the only rounds shot through it are the 15that he used to sight it in. I offered to buy it off of him and he said 500 and its mine. Just wondering if this is a good deal or not, i know its 1:9 but he said its not a big deal. So any advice for me?

Jpyle 04-08-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetics (Post 764961)
So a buddy of mine has a brand new RRA 20" upper, and scope, and the only rounds shot through it are the 15that he used to sight it in. I offered to buy it off of him and he said 500 and its mine. Just wondering if this is a good deal or not, i know its 1:9 but he said its not a big deal. So any advice for me?

Generally speaking that's a fair price for a RRA upper but not a great deal...depending on the model and the quality of the scope. RRA has several 20" barreled uppers, some sell for $500 or so brand new, not including shipping and tax. Here's a link to their site...check out what they offer and decide if your friend's offer is a good one.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID= 200

Here's a National Match thats retails at about $750 and a standard midlength that sells for $550. Similar profile, different parts.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/uhnm11.gif

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/...ts/uhstd10.gif

Kinetics 04-08-2012 08:15 AM

Thanks for the link :D But basically, what i really want to know is, is the 1:9 twist going to be a problem at all? like am i going to have to buy specific ammo or anything for it? Also how easy/hard would it be to replace the front sight post with a low profile block?

Gatoragn 04-08-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetics (Post 764977)
Thanks for the link :D But basically, what i really want to know is, is the 1:9 twist going to be a problem at all? like am i going to have to buy specific ammo or anything for it? Also how easy/hard would it be to replace the front sight post with a low profile block?

The 1:9 twist will handle the 55 grain bullets just fine, which appears to be the most common weight on store shelves. If you want to bump up to ~70 grain or heavier, then a 1:8 or 1:7 would be better.

Snakedriver 04-08-2012 12:17 PM

If you're going to butcher it, just order one from some manufacturer with the features you want and leave the one your buddy has for someone who appreciates the finer points of a RRA upper.

I love my RRA upper with 1:9 twist. It's deadly accurate and works flawlessly.

What makes you think you have to chop the front sight off OP?

billt 04-08-2012 12:38 PM

You will not have any issues with a 1 in 9" twist barrel. It is the most common you'll find in AR-15's because it offers the widest variety of different ammunition to be shot through it with favorable results. As was mentioned, you only "need" a 1 in 7" twist if you are going to shoot heavy weight bullets, (above 70 grains), or else the extremely long projectile L-110 Tracer rounds. I've yet to see anyone shooting those outside the military. 90% of the .223 / 5.56 MM ammunition put down the bore of AR-15 rifles falls into the 55 to 67 grain category. A 1 in 9" twist barrel will handle those fine, and with probably more accuracy than a 1 in 7" will. A 1 in 9" twist will also allow you to shoot the lighter thinner jacketed varmint bullets. A 1 in 7" twist will over rotate many of these bullets causing a severe loss of accuracy, or worse disintegrate them before they ever reach the target.

For most all civilian applications, and even most military, a 1 in 9" twist will offer you more than you will give up with a 1 in 7". The main reason the military went to the quicker 1 in 7" barrel is because most all tracer rounds are very long. Long bullets, not necessarily heavy, require a faster twist to be properly stabilized. The 1 in 7" twist gets the call more often than not because of it's Mil-Spec requirement, not because it offers anything "better", as so many are led to believe. I've found that in bench rest shooting with 55 and 62 grain bullets, where the human element has been removed, all of my 1 in 9" twist barrels offer up better accuracy than my 1 in 7" Colts do.

Car54 04-08-2012 02:28 PM

If you have a GOOD 1/8 pin punch, you can with some effort, get the pin out that holds the front sight. You can also dremel it off, but like snakedriver posted, why go to all that trouble. Just get one that you want. If you bought the upper at such a fantastic deal, I would say go ahead, but for that amount buy what you want and go from there.

BenLuby 04-08-2012 02:31 PM

One other thing? You say he's tossing in the scope as well. Exactly what kind of scope are we talking about?

Kinetics 04-08-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 765042)
If you're going to butcher it, just order one from some manufacturer with the features you want and leave the one your buddy has for someone who appreciates the finer points of a RRA upper.

I love my RRA upper with 1:9 twist. It's deadly accurate and works flawlessly.

What makes you think you have to chop the front sight off OP?

Its just personal preference, i think that "butchering" is the wrong term, im going to make it the way that i want it, and i was just asking how hard it would be to remove it, who knows i might keep it on. Anyways thanks for your second comment, its great to hear that you enjoy yours as i will probably be buying this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 765110)
One other thing? You say he's tossing in the scope as well. Exactly what kind of scope are we talking about?

Its nothing special, just some 50$ scope not going to influence my purchase

BenLuby 04-08-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetics (Post 765272)
Its just personal preference, i think that "butchering" is the wrong term, im going to make it the way that i want it, and i was just asking how hard it would be to remove it, who knows i might keep it on. Anyways thanks for your second comment, its great to hear that you enjoy yours as i will probably be buying this.

Its nothing special, just some 50$ scope not going to influence my purchase

Sounds like all you really want to do is go to flip up rather than fixed front sights, and your local gunsmith should be able to do that for a reasonable fee.