RRA Rock River Arms LAR 8 compatibility questions.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA Rock River Arms LAR 8 compatibility questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default RRA Rock River Arms LAR 8 compatibility questions.

Got a friend that wants to upgrade his LAR8 charging handle. I saw that BCM's 7.62 model specific says that the RRA models are not compatible with it.

Anyone know of a a large latch option CH that will work on this platform?

As long as I have your ear, with Magpul 308 mags work on this rifle?

Thanks In Advanced!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

the lar8 cannot use pmags, it uses fal mags.

badger tactical makes an extended latch that fits them. cant comment on the quality of badger latches ive never even seen one in person

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-14-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the lar8 cannot use pmags, it uses fal mags.

badger tactical makes an extended latch that fits them. cant comment on the quality of badger latches ive never even seen one in person
I have replaced a couple of standard latches with Badger Tactical extended latches. The Badger Tac. latches are great for use under a scope on an AR.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #4

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The LAR 8 suffers from being another unique .308 AR. I'd ask RRA if it will work. IF BCM says it won't work on the LAR-8 then I wouldn't gamble on it. One of thse frustrating things about .308 ARs is the lack of standardization.

Teh thing that mad the LAR-8 appealing was the ability to use inexpensive and plentiful FAL mags. So they don't get to benefit from P-mag availability. The PMAG compatable .308s are the DPMS, Knights Armament, LaRue, and original Armalite AR-10 before the reintroduction and switch to using modified M-14 mags.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
The LAR 8 suffers from being another unique .308 AR. I'd ask RRA if it will work. IF BCM says it won't work on the LAR-8 then I wouldn't gamble on it. One of thse frustrating things about .308 ARs is the lack of standardization.

Teh thing that mad the LAR-8 appealing was the ability to use inexpensive and plentiful FAL mags. So they don't get to benefit from P-mag availability. The PMAG compatable .308s are the DPMS, Knights Armament, LaRue, and original Armalite AR-10 before the reintroduction and switch to using modified M-14 mags.
Add to the list the new Colt LE 901-16s; it comes with two PMAGs, and the two extra I bought off the shelf fit & feed perfectly.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #6

Ive seen reports that FAL most fal mags dont even work on the LAR 8. Oh well, at least I didnt buy it....

Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Ive seen reports that FAL most fal mags dont even work on the LAR 8. Oh well, at least I didnt buy it....
thats exactly why its taken me so long to settle on a semi auto 308. i would still be dithering if it wasnt for the election results. ive been down the m1a route twice and didnt have good results either time. ive shot a lot of different ar10 all were accurate but none really impressed me.

so many proprietary things. its just a shame they all dont get together and make a standard pattern gun *sigh*

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Check out the Colt LE-901. I picked one up, shot it a couple times and love it. I put a Nikon M308 scope on it.

Once they produce the adapter (it's in every review and article, but apparently not in general production), it'll take "any MILSPEC" upper with just a change of the buffer spring.

It takes Magpull mags (it comes with two), and aside from the bigger mags and bore, it's pure Colt AR. What's different, I guess it the upper is "monolithic" (milled from one piece of stock), and there's native ambi mag and bolt buttons.

They were pretty rare for a while, but the local gun shop got six in (one of which I now own), and they say there's more in the pipe without too much delay.

Last edited by scottmac; 11-16-2012 at 02:41 AM.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #9

Why do have to change the buffer spring?

Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Why do have to change the buffer spring?
The .308 spring is stronger than the 5.56 spring. You change the spring with the upper.