Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA "Operator"...thoughts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default RRA "Operator"...thoughts?

I'm working on ugrading my AR situation. I'll be adding two and eventually selling the one basic budget model (DPMS Sportical w/Millet red dot) that I have to a friend.

I just ordered the RRA Elite Operator w/Eotech mount for $1000...it'll be a few months before it shows up though. Looked like a solid total package for the price, and the 1:9 twist works fine for my needs of general purpose 50-69gr shooting (mostly 55gr & 62gr, like almost everyone).

I'm very interested in hearing what some more seasoned AR enthusiasts think of this gun. Feel free to criticize if you believe it's warranted. I know some don't love the mass-produced guns from DPMS/RRA/Bushmaster/etc.

My second AR is heading toward DD, BCM, Noveske...or some combination thereof. Already have a Noveske 'chainsaw' lower that I might work off. Thinking of adding a Noveske 14.5" MOE upper and RRA 2-stage lower kit. But PSA has a Sig M400 w/ OD MOE that also caught my eye.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

Why not tell us what about the Elite Operator sold you? Mainly the 1:9" twist? My opinion is when you're looking for a "duty" configured AR in the $1000 range, BCM must be on your short list. I don't see RRA on that list when the price is the same. RRA definitely strives for accuracy but is that the No. 1 criterion?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Why not tell us what about the Elite Operator sold you? Mainly the 1:9" twist? My opinion is when you're looking for a "duty" configured AR in the $1000 range, BCM must be on your short list. I don't see RRA on that list when the price is the same. RRA definitely strives for accuracy but is that the No. 1 criterion?
I like the rail and grip okay, it's supposed to be a really accurate gun, and comes stocked with the 2-stage trigger. Not sure I care about the chromed bolt one way or the other. A little heavy, but I'll build a 7lb rifle to my liking shortly. A custom set up it is not. But for an all-inclusive deal with little details to fret over, it seems like a square deal. And I've honestly not yet figured out exactly what I'm after in the perfect AR.

The 1:9 twist was fine, since 99% of my ammo is 50-64gr. This RRA will probably wear an EoTech 512 and a Magpul angled foregrip...and those are about the only additions I'll pour into it.

The next gun (probably a build on a Noveske chainsaw) is likely to be a lightweight/chrome-lined/1:7 twist/14.5" setup. BCM or Noveske for the upper. I'm a little partial to Noveske despite their prices. They're about 60 miles from my home. Magpul furniture, simple and light, still completely undecided what I'll do for optics (or lack of, maybe). I'll bet I finish this project before the RRA ever arrives.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #4

Liked 973 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 974

I'd certainly lean toward the Noveske upper since you have their 'chainsaw' lower already! With the LW barrel I like the sound of that build much better than the Elite Operator. Weight really matters. Will they both be midlengths?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

i wouldnt use the rra trigger pack for a duty gun. its got a history of breakage at the wrong time. while its not a big deal and worth the risk for a range gun because no one is shooting back. on a duty gun i wouldnt use their triggers and sears at all. ive had rra parts break on me under light to moderate use so i wouldnt trust one in a life or death.

i rank rra as a no go for a shtf type gun. fantastic guns for target, varmint, hunting, plinking etc but if i got bullets potentially coming at me ill go somewhere else for my black rifles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'll keep that in mind Jon. I'm actually sitting on a Spikes LPK right now that I could throw into that build...still not sure what I want to do for a trigger though.

I like a lot of what DD and BCM have to offer...of course BCM seems massively backordered on about 90% of their stock. I like everything about Noveske except for the hole it'll burn in my wallet. Any thoughts on that Sig M400 linked above? I believe it's stocked with a 1:7 FN barrel.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
I'll keep that in mind Jon. I'm actually sitting on a Spikes LPK right now that I could throw into that build...still not sure what I want to do for a trigger though.

I like a lot of what DD and BCM have to offer...of course BCM seems massively backordered on about 90% of their stock. I like everything about Noveske except for the hole it'll burn in my wallet. Any thoughts on that Sig M400 linked above? I believe it's stocked with a 1:7 FN barrel.
the sig is nice but tooooo pricey for what it is. with your rra change out the lpk to the spikes and get a GOOD bcg and use the rra bcg as a back up and your good to go patrolwise. you dont want a light target trigger on a duty rifle that isnt in the designated marksman role. when your adrenaline is up a 5-7 pound trigger becomes 5-7 ounces...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...