RRA Interesting Info - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA Interesting Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Quentin, where do you find the DD's for $500. I went looking and couldn't find anything for much under $900 just for a complete upper. You must have a secret "in" somewhere if you can get them for $500.
Like mjkeat said we both took advantage of an incredible DD deal at smartgunner.com last year. I went plain jane and bought a LW 16" CHF midlength upper and charging handle for $390 with free shipping. I had a DD BCG already but could have bought one for $120 with the upper. I had standard midlength handguards but chose the MOE instead. So it was a little more than $500 but for a chrome lined hammer forged barrel of that quality you couldn't beat it. I certainly didn't back in 2009 with the $500 ArmaLite upper and that's about what it sells for today.

Smartgunner's price has gone up now, $409 for the stripped upper I got. http://www.smartgunner.com/DD-16-GOVT-M-STR-URG-1.aspx
And there are other high quality choices at the $500 price point if you don't get a rail.

ETA:
Apologies to JonM, we've drifted off topic.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-28-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Like mjkeat said we both took advantage of an incredible DD deal at smartgunner.com last year. I went plain jane and bought a LW 16" CHF midlength upper and charging handle for $390 with free shipping. I had a DD BCG already but could have bought one for $120 with the upper. I had standard midlength handguards but chose the MOE instead. So it was a little more than $500 but for a chrome lined hammer forged barrel of that quality you couldn't beat it. I certainly didn't back in 2009 with the $500 ArmaLite upper and that's about what it sells for today.

Smartgunner's price has gone up now, $409 for the stripped upper I got. Daniel Defense 16" Mid-Length Govt Profile Barrel (Stripped - No Rail) Upper Receiver Group w/ FSP
And there are other high quality choices at the $500 price point if you don't get a rail.

ETA:
No worries never know where good.info leads.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I was looking through the catalog that rra sent with my nm upper and they offer a 14.5 inch pencil m4 profile chrome lined chrome chamber barrel in 1:7. Of course you would need a full auto or sbr license.

But 14.5 is the correct barrel length for a m4 carbine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Smartgunner's price has gone up now, $409 for the stripped upper I got. Daniel Defense 16" Mid-Length Govt Profile Barrel (Stripped - No Rail) Upper Receiver Group w/ FSP

ETA:
Awesome thanks for the link, I'll go look at smartgunner.com

Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Awesome thanks for the link, I'll go look at smartgunner.com
Alas it's out of stock now. Hopefully they have something in stock that interests you. For the last few months it's been hard to get uppers from DD or BCM.

This is a better link since at the same price it allows you to select from carbine and midlength barrels in different lengths:

Daniel Defense Custom (Stripped - No Rail) Upper Receiver Group

I notice that you can add a MOE stock which is hard to beat for the money. And of course you need a BCG and charging handle, the BCM Gunslinger #4 is a great choice (if SG sells it).

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 07-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #16

The brothers Larson were NEVER partners with Les Baer. That is an out and out fabrication. They were employed as gunsmiths who thought there work was better than it actually was and were terminated. Les Baer lives with the only person who has EVER been his partner and She is very smart woman.

They build nice, reliable AR format rifles...that's why they got the DEA contract.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
The brothers Larson were NEVER partners with Les Baer. That is an out and out fabrication. They were employed as gunsmiths who thought there work was better than it actually was and were terminated. Les Baer lives with the only person who has EVER been his partner and She is very smart woman.

They build nice, reliable AR format rifles...that's why they got the DEA contract.
so your saying that they willfully lie about that in their preface in the rra catalogue... got a source that they were merely employees of les baer??

one would think 20 odd years of that baer would have said something by now. i seriously dont think the head armourer of springfield armory would just give that up and go work as an assembler for a then no name gun company.

Last edited by JonM; 07-31-2011 at 03:23 AM.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Since I've been on here, I know you shouldn't argue with Jon, cause he knows his stuff. And if I were the head armorer at Springfield, I would die in that position or retire from position. My thoughts are, they make the best 1911, period, and according to my dad, the m 14 is one of the best rifles ever made, it kept him alive and untouched in the army rifle matches, Korean war and Vietnam war.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
...and according to my dad, the m 14 is one of the best rifles ever made, it kept him alive and untouched in the army rifle matches, Korean war and Vietnam war.
... my uncle had an M16 in Korea too!

______