Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA Interesting Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Default RRA Interesting Info

admitadly im a little bit of a RRA fan. i was curious about where they get some of their stuff and after a quick web search found this:

*excerpt from a longer article* Rock River Arms Quality Review

Quote:
Rock River Arms is owned and operated by brothers Mark and Chuck Larson. Between them, the Larsons have almost half a century of gun making experience, with emphases on both semiautomatic pistols and gas operated self loading rifles. Indeed, the brothers' collective resume reads like a who's who of the American precision firearms industry: Between 1981 and 1991 the Larsons worked at Springfield Armory, Inc., where Mark was the head armorer. From Springfield Armory, the Larsons went into partnership with Les Baer to form Les Baer Custom, and produced some of the finest custom 1911 style pistols that have ever been seen on the US market. Parting ways with Les Baer in 1993, the Larsons began to build AR-15 type rifles for Eagle Arms in Coal Valley, Illinois. At around the same time, they began their own venture, Tolerance Plus (the name was later changed to Rock River Arms), producing custom 1911 pistols. The Larson brothers severed their connection with Eagle Arms in 1997 when that firm moved to Geneseo, Illinois. At the same time, Rock River Arms began to build AR-15 style rifles, with a commitment to producing the highest quality, most accurate AR's on the market.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #2

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Interesting, JonM! Can't say I'm a fan of RRA but that's good stuff...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm starting to think RRA makes a nice range/bench AR. They seem to get good reviews on accuracy.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

RRA has got my vote.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Interesting, JonM! Can't say I'm a fan of RRA but that's good stuff...
Quentin, what is it about RRA you don't care for? I've narrowed my search for a complete upper to RRA and Armalite for a 16" 1:9, A4 - mid-length in 5.56.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Quentin, what is it about RRA you don't care for? I've narrowed my search for a complete upper to RRA and Armalite for a 16" 1:9, A4 - mid-length in 5.56.
I know many people here think a lot of RRA so I'm not trying to trash RRA but it seems to me you can get so much more for about the same money. Just looking at their midlength uppers you have to pay $40 extra for chrome lined and you can't get 1:7 twist. I don't have confidence in their BCG because it's an unknown and their barrels are very heavy (like ArmaLite). I know they sell a LW barrel but they don't seem to offer it in other than 1:9. Very easy to get the wrong thing.

I have an ArmaLite upper and it's decent but pales in comparison to my Daniel Defense LW midlength which is about 1 pound lighter and meets or exceeds military specs. Both came in right about $500 but I got more for my money with DD. BCM of course is a great choice and for those trying to save money I'd look at PSA or Spikes.

Now if you don't want an AR that leans heavily to personal protection then brands like ArmaLite, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA and S&W are worth investigating if the price is right. But for a serious rifle, I couldn't endorse one of those companies when they haven't bothered to respond to repeated attempts to provide information for the new M4 comparison chart. I can only assume there's a good reason they don't want to share their specs.

So it seems much like buying a pig in a poke, a home brewed AR at a gun show or a PC with undisclosed components. Why do it when reputable vendors are falling all over themselves selling good products with known components. And telling you exactly what goes in to their rifles.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
I'm not trying to trash RRA but it seems to me you can get so much more for about the same money.
That is not trashing them. That is stating your opinion based on facts you found.

I myself LOVE RRA.

Mine will like a house a fire. It out shoots my Remington 700 any day of the week.

It is all on what you like. I got my RRA ( A Predator Pursuit Rifle) for under $1k.

It is all on what you like and what you want. I wanted a lighter weight Varmint rifle that was highly accurate.

You don't need a lot of accuracy in a CQB rifle. You need a light weight quick handling rifle that is ultra reliable.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2234 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1146

Reference the Bench Rifle question. I do know that the RRA 20" Varmint Rifles I have had have been 1/4 MOA Rifles at 100 yards. Both were 1:8 Twist and even shooting the 55 gr. BT Bullets. Normally they would perform better with a little heavier bullet but they did just fine with the 55's. Where RRA exceed is the specifications and quality of parts they demand from their suppliers. Some of their suppliers run RRA Parts on machines that belong to RRA. If the standards are not met guess who losses the machine? That is another story.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I know many people here think a lot of RRA so I'm not trying to trash RRA but it seems to me you can get so much more for about the same money. Just looking at their midlength uppers you have to pay $40 extra for chrome lined and you can't get 1:7 twist. I don't have confidence in their BCG because it's an unknown and their barrels are very heavy (like ArmaLite). I know they sell a LW barrel but they don't seem to offer it in other than 1:9. Very easy to get the wrong thing.

I have an ArmaLite upper and it's decent but pales in comparison to my Daniel Defense LW midlength which is about 1 pound lighter and meets or exceeds military specs. Both came in right about $500 but I got more for my money with DD. BCM of course is a great choice and for those trying to save money I'd look at PSA or Spikes.

Now if you don't want an AR that leans heavily to personal protection then brands like ArmaLite, Bushmaster, DPMS, RRA and S&W are worth investigating if the price is right. But for a serious rifle, I couldn't endorse one of those companies when they haven't bothered to respond to repeated attempts to provide information for the new M4 comparison chart. I can only assume there's a good reason they don't want to share their specs.

So it seems much like buying a pig in a poke, a home brewed AR at a gun show or a PC with undisclosed components. Why do it when reputable vendors are falling all over themselves selling good products with known components. And telling you exactly what goes in to their rifles.
Quentin, where do you find the DD's for $500. I went looking and couldn't find anything for much under $900 just for a complete upper. You must have a secret "in" somewhere if you can get them for $500.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quentin and I got in on a deal from SmartGunner.com.

I ended up w/ a DD lightweight upper, DD RIS II rail, properly inspected BCG, DD stripped lower, BattleComp 1.5 muzzle device (pinned), and rail tool for $1k. The rail itself is almost $400, lower $125, BCG $157, and $155 for the muzzle device. Right there you're looking at $837 making the upper itself only $163. Thats a hell of a deal on a top of the line upper.

Edit: The low profile gas block is pinned as opposed to set screw like some others.