RRA Dominator mount
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA Dominator mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default RRA Dominator mount

If I use the RRA Dominator II mount on my flat top rifle do I use the standard height flip-up front sight? Or does that mount set the rear sight up high enough that you would have to use a taller front sight?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

according to RRA's description, it looks like it gives absolute cowitness...puts the red dot just above the front sight post. you can keep the standard front sight and use the rear sight that comes with the Dominator II.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I don't have a front sight yet, so I could use for example a standard YHM flip-up front sight?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRacerX75x View Post
Well I don't have a front sight yet, so I could use for example a standard YHM flip-up front sight?
If you plan to mount it to your handguard, then yes. If it is going on a railed gas block, then probably not.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I ordered the dominator rear sight on my AR from RRA and the front sight looks like their flip sight gas block combo, it works great. My only complaint is that I wish the sight post itself was thinner as it can cover the target. I know I can replace the post but I have not yet.

image-4062353294.jpg   image-2483431956.jpg   image-60722519.jpg  

Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Also was just looking through the RRA catalog and they have flip up front sights that specify for rail or gas block mounting. I think if you get the right mounting option you should be ok with the dominator rear sight.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nch22000 View Post
Also was just looking through the RRA catalog and they have flip up front sights that specify for rail or gas block mounting. I think if you get the right mounting option you should be ok with the dominator rear sight.
This!

Nch22000 nailed it! make sure you buy the sight that matches your mounting location and your height will be correct for the front sight.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 101 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't attaching a sling to the gas block defeat the purpose of free floating the barrel?

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I don't use the sling when shooting like I should. So it does not effect it but you are right. I don't understand why they did that. I plan on getting a rail mount sling swivel and removing the sling mounts from the gas block.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

It is a perfect application for any normal height front sight unit.
The neat thing about the Dominator II is the fact that for example if you put an EOTech on it this is how it works!
Sight in the Iron Sights
Install the Dominator II on the Flat Top
While looking at the Iron Sights through the EOTech Screen with unit ON
Dial the Red Dot on reticle so it sets exactly on top of the front sight post and perfectly centered.
At that point you may only have to make a couple of slight adjustments to finalize the EOTech's Zero.
Than comes the good part!
At this point, you no longer have to look through the screen using the iron sights or even having them interfere with your view. You just look over the top of the front sight and rear sight about 1/4 inch at the Reticle on the EOTech ONLY!
Should you have a failure with the EOTech you just simply drop your head down looking through the Glass at the Iron Sights and you are automatically Co-Witnessed.
This eliminates two things if not using the Dominator and having Iron Flip Ups on the rifle. That is in this case should the Optic fail using Iron Flip Up Rear Sights. Normally one would have to flip up the rear sight. The problem being in a critical situation fine motor skills do not work well. But even more important than that is the critical time in a possible gun fight that it would take for the operator to flip up the rear sight at the same time dealing with adrenalin and the fine motor skill problems! With the Dominator you only need lower your head 1/4 inch to Co-Witness if the Optics fails. We found another thing that assists with the 1/4 inch head drop. It was that in a critical situation like your optics failing is the fact that any time we are threatened or something goes wrong in a critical situation we automatically drop our head. It is an involuntary action when threatened. Point being we found when you have an O.S. situation happen like your EOTech or optics fail and you need sights readily the head goes down. Just a little information on the Dominator II Rail and Sight System.
However using a Pro-Point on it could be a problem since the Pro-Points have a spacer in the mount that might make them a little too high for good Co-Witness using the Dominator II.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy