RRA 458 SOCOM Upgraded
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > RRA 458 SOCOM Upgraded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default RRA 458 SOCOM Upgraded

a week back i bought a strikefire red/green dot scope and while messing around with it on my M&P 15-22 i hit on a idea to fix my scope issue for hunting with the socom.

last year i bought a 458 socom midlength upper from RRA for deer hunting. i scoped it with a nikon african monarch 1-4x. very nice scope. one flaw. it wont hold zero riding on atv's. the vibration throws it out of wack.

since the strikefire co-witnesses with the magpul flip up mbus sights even if the strikefire loses zero i can just flip the sights up to confirm and re-zero on the spot. the mbus sights MAY cowitness with the nikon. i need to experiment with that. but for now im going to test the strikefire this weekend.

my original foregrip on the 458 was just a standard free float tube.

this showed up in the mail today. RRA advanced half quad free float tube. it came with a barrel nut, 3 rail covers, and two screws to tighten it to the barrel nut.

while the rail covers were a nice addition they are too short to really be useful. they really need to be a 7 or preferably 10 slot cover. right now i just have it loosely together. ill fully assemble and torque everything down later in the week for saturday's shoot

here it is with magpul mbus sights, vortex strikefire and vortext vmx3 magnifier. my only concern with this atm is the very short eye relief on the vmx3. while it doesnt matter on a 556 the 458 is a whole other animal. i will prolly not even try the magnifier as i have to be right up on the end of the magnifier i have no desire to "scope" myself.

i really like this half quad from RRA. its comfy has a decent grip and just enough rail space for optics and whatever else. plus it just plain looks good!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Very nice Jon, very nice! Hard to imagine she could look even better but she does. Congrats

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Day-yum!!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I want! Very nice work.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thanks im going to try and find a ring set that will co-witness the mbus sights. i would prefer to use a 1-4x scope for hunting than the dot sight right now but if i can do well enough with the strike fire it may stay.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

swapped out the tip off weaver rings with leupold mark4 aluminum super high rings. this allows the mbus sights to co-witness when the scope is set to 1x.

took it out today and did a quick sight in. but i forgot the front sight tool for the mbus *sigh* so only the scope got sighted in.

it was holding around 1 inch at 100 but i forgot my camera which was sitting on the shelf in the gun room next to the sight tool...

so far im pretty pleased with the setup atm. next weekend im taking it out again but im going to put it in a gunsock and take the bumpy road to the rnge to try and simulate a atv ride and see how the nikon with these rings holds up.

this time i wont forget the strikefire either which was also left behind sitting on the shelf next to camera and the sight tool. wasnt a good day for remembering stuff

Old 12-11-2011, 03:11 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Nice looking SUR. I have been really looking hard at that RRA half quad...now that I see it "in person" I really like it, think one is going on my next build...how's the weight and balance?

I like the front sight set up...you can alternate between on-plane and lower plane front sights or mount a laser on the gas block and not interfere with the BUIS, very versatile set up.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Very nice! I have had my eye on the .458 socom for awhile now. But I don't think I could afford to shoot it.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 12-11-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Nice looking SUR. I have been really looking hard at that RRA half quad...now that I see it "in person" I really like it, think one is going on my next build...how's the weight and balance?

I like the front sight set up...you can alternate between on-plane and lower plane front sights or mount a laser on the gas block and not interfere with the BUIS, very versatile set up.
i love it!! got some more testing and configuration development but i think im getting close to exactly what i want.

its their advanced quad. that one is the midlength. the balance point is right under the magwell about where the front edge of the dust cover is the way its setup now. i can also put a reddot in front of the scope. the socom barrel is pretty damn heavy due to it being a 45cal bore LOTS of steel. the ff tube is aluminum and very sturdy. no clue what the ff tube weighs i dont have a scale in that weight measure range

im prolly going to give it a dedicated lower at some point and put a lighter stock on it. that will shift the balance point forward of the magwell a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89 View Post
Very nice! I have had my eye on the .458 socom for awhile now. But I don't think I could afford to shoot it.
yeah you really need to load your own for this cartridge.

while it works with standard mages some are better than others. pmags have not had very good results. with this round best to stick with milsurps that have anti-tilt followers. if the mag doesnt have anti-tilt the last round tends to nose dive back into the mag.

Last edited by JonM; 12-11-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:16 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Yeah that sniper stock looks kinda bulky for a field gun...have you checked out the Ace Skeleton stock. Have one on my current AR...weighs near nothing but rock azz solid...fits right over the mil-spec A2 style extension tube.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington