Rookie Looking For Some Advice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rookie Looking For Some Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Subscribed

Old 02-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #22

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie View Post
I have been piecing this together the last few days, and here is what I have come up with, along with a couple questions. The checklist you suggested from Brownells has been a great help.

CMMG Stripped Lower Receiver (bottom of page)
CMMG Stripped A3 Receiver (1/3 down on page)
Del-Ton Complete Lower Parts Kit
M4 CAR Buttstock Assembly
SPR Pistol Grip
Ejection Port Cover Assembly

Now for the questions.

I was looking at this Charging Handle that says complete, but my checklist lists several other parts (latch, spring, spring pin) that arent mentioned in the complete charging handle kit.

Next, what is the difference between the round forward assist assembly and the tear drop assembly? I was looking at this Round Forward Assist Assembly, but again, there are several parts on my checklist that are not listed as included with this kit.

What tools will I need to complete this gun? The lower sounds simple enough, but what will I need for the rest of the gun?

That is all I have pieced together so far, I am still working through my checklist to make sure I get everything I need.

Thanks again for all the help.
FTA - I don't know if you got your answers or not, so if you have, please disregard more of my ramblings.

For the charging handle question, I believe, unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking, that you have the parts covered with your Ejection Port Cover Assembly. So you should be good to go there. One thing I would suggest though, is taking a second look at the Badger Ord Tactical Charging Handle. It might cost a little more, but it gives a better amount of real estate to grab hold of should you ever NEED to do it for real, and in a hurry.

The only difference in Forward Assist are the shape. Round is a circle, Teardrop is in the shape of a tear drop and is more oblong instead of round. Personal preference. I have both on my guns. Neither one is "better" than the other. I only bought a teardrop one to try it out.

For the lower, all you really need is a screw driver and a rubber mallet, or a rubber handed screw driver if you are bare bonesing it.

For the stock install, you are probably going to need an Armorer's Wrench, which is just a really good tool to have. Make sure you get one for the carbine and not for the rifle. You can make do with a pipe wrench and a wash cloth to wrap around the nut to save damage if you REALLY have too - but the Armorer's Wrench is a good tool to have and it will help with the handguard install.

An AR Vise Block, I think, is a must have for the upper installation, just because it holds everything in place while you work on it and allows you to torque done the handguard nut.

A punch made of brass, in a small size, and a hammer is good to have for the roll pins. They are kind of bitch to put in, but you can make do with a screw driver and rock if you really HAD too.

Some grease, a willingness to get your hands dirty and you should be good to go...

PM me if you get stuck...

JD

Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #23

I have finally got in something that I get to put together myself, even though its just a simple part (ejection port cover). Its enough for me to get excited that I finally have a part I can actually do something with now.

I do have one question though. I installed it from watching the video on Brownells, but Im not sure if the hinge pin is supposed to lock down. It seems like it sticks out to far and could eventually come loose, dropping the spring and cover. Is this normal or should it lock in some way?

After installing the forward assist, I decided I definitely want to get a roll pin holder and roll pin punch set. It was a pain getting the pin in place and dont want to risk damaging or scratching anything. Is this DPMS Multi Tool enough to do what I need? I dont have a bench vise at home, but a friend of mine has one with the AR Vise Blocks, so I will be able to use that. Other than that, I have screwdrivers, hammers, and I think everything else I will need at home.

Also, are there any parts I will have to grease when putting it together? This may sound stupid, but is there any type kind of grease I should get that is better than others?

Last edited by FightinTexasAggie; 03-06-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #24

Also, while I am thinking about it I have another question.

I am ready to order the final parts I need (just the barrel assembly). What is the difference between a 1:9" twist and 1:7" twist for the barrel? I think I am going with all Yankee Hill parts for this last little bit (except gas tube, cant find them on YHM). Ive seen there is different sizes for gas tubes, which is the correct size for a 16" barrel?

Thanks for all the help. I cant wait to post pictures of my complete rifle when it is finally finished.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2944 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Have you read the sticky about ending the AR BS? I believe there is a mention of this.
FWIW, either should be fine for most work.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 AM   #26

RRA has great stuff. DPMS is good for the money. but my only suggestion is get a auto BCG they cycle better i think