Rookie Looking For Some Advice - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rookie Looking For Some Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You have good taste. YHM is a great company.

The first thing you need is either A) A Stripped Upper & Lower or B) A complete lower.

Baring any seriously ridiculious legislation with the new AWB, once you have a lower in your possession, you should be able to build the rest of the weapon, at will, even if a ban goes into effect. Parts will always be available.....

JD

Old 02-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #12

If all goes as planned, I most likely will order the lower tomorrow. I have decided on this lower receiver , and will possibly replace the grip with another one. I am thinking about this buttstock to go with it, but I am not sure how it will look. I have also decided this is the upper that I want to go with.

Eventually I will add different mounts like a grip on the front, a decent flashlight, and better sights, probably red dot. Im not sure if the buttstock I want will look good on my setup though.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #13

You might be spending a bit more than you really need too brother. Buying a YHM lower for $280 lowers is a LOT of money, even if it is from Yankee Hill.

I would recommend perhaps doing a bit of shopping before you hit enter on that "order" request.

YHM is a great company, but you don't need a YHM Lower and Upper receiver to get a well built weapon. If you are going that far, you might as well buy a full YHM weapon and be the envy of the range in your area.

JD

Old 02-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #14

What would you recommend for lowers? The cheapest I have been able to find is $120 for the stripped lower and $55 for the lower parts kit. That is from Del-Ton, but it also says there is a 12-16 week wait for their parts.

I dont want to put any cheap parts on, I want everything durable and will last a long time. The problem is, I dont know what companies make good reliable parts and what makes cheap ones. This is why I need you guys. What parts should I get from YHM and what are OK to get from cheaper places?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #15

I picked up a CMMG stripped lower from a local gun shop today, their last one until their shipment in 6 weeks. I stopped in several stores and none of them would order the part for me, and the last gun shop in town had one in stock.

Now for the next step. I am ready to order rest of the parts for the lower receiver. I picked out this complete lower parts kit, this buttstock assembly, and this upgraded pistol grip.

Is there anything I am missing to build the complete lower? Also, is there a list anywhere that lists all the parts for the upper that I need to get?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #16

No, you did good FTA. You have all the parts you need to make a complete lower, and probably a pretty good one at that.

One thing I would recommend is planning on hitting the hardware store to get a replacement hex bolt/ torx botl and lock nut for your pistol grip. They come with a straight slot scrwedriver slot which is a complete bee-yotch to get in place. A hex or torx is MUCH easier to install and keep tight.

Brownells has a complete shopping list for both the upper and lower. Or you can ask the guys here. Or you can just hit Del-Ton ( I see you already know the way there ) and use there "Build an Upper" ordering screen and compare the parts to a list you make for yourself.

JD

Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #17

I have one more question for now (hopefully). What tools will I need to put everything together? I see a lot of different tools for sale (and will add up in cost real fast), but which ones are really needed and which ones are more of a convenience tool?

Thanks a ton for all of your help.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #18

For the lower? Or for the whole gun?

For the lower, you need a screwdriver ( for the pistol grip ) and you need the ability to put a pin in a hole and make sure it's centered. You need a "pinning" device if you are super serious about your build, but that can come later.

You can assemble an entire lower without much more than a screwdriver, and a rubber mallet, or a rubber handle on your screwdriver if you are desperate, and some know-how.

JD

Old 02-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #19

I have been piecing this together the last few days, and here is what I have come up with, along with a couple questions. The checklist you suggested from Brownells has been a great help.

CMMG Stripped Lower Receiver (bottom of page)
CMMG Stripped A3 Receiver (1/3 down on page)
Del-Ton Complete Lower Parts Kit
M4 CAR Buttstock Assembly
SPR Pistol Grip
Ejection Port Cover Assembly

Now for the questions.

I was looking at this Charging Handle that says complete, but my checklist lists several other parts (latch, spring, spring pin) that arent mentioned in the complete charging handle kit.

Next, what is the difference between the round forward assist assembly and the tear drop assembly? I was looking at this Round Forward Assist Assembly, but again, there are several parts on my checklist that are not listed as included with this kit.

What tools will I need to complete this gun? The lower sounds simple enough, but what will I need for the rest of the gun?

That is all I have pieced together so far, I am still working through my checklist to make sure I get everything I need.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #20

One thing you may consider is rather than worrying with the stripped lower receiver and then the forward assist and ejection port cover you could spend the $20 and buy it direct from CMMG its right above the stripped one referenced in your list. Also I noticed you are missing a barrel that would be a very helpful thing to have on the rifle. as far as tools go Bushmaster sells an Armorer's wrench that will deal with most components that need tools for less than $25 or if you know someone a one of your local gunshops sometimes they will help you out. Another option is rather than buying the upper pieces since you have the one picked out you want just buy it. Right now they are all a little hard to come by Good Luck