Rookie Looking For Some Advice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Rookie Looking For Some Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rookie Looking For Some Advice

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this site and it seems like a good place for a rookie like me to get some help. I have been looking at getting an AR-15 for quite a while. I have been doing a lot of research, and it seems like building my own is the best option. I have shot a lot of guns, including AR-15's, which I fell in love with, but have never taken apart or gained much knowledge on how the guns actually work. I have always been fascinated with firearms and this seems like a great way for me to start building my collection.

I found a website that offers a complete guide to building an AR-15, Build Your Own AR-15 Rifle and Save Big Money! Has anyone used this guide or heard anything about it? Would it be feasible for someone with zero knowledge on gun parts and how they work to put together something like this? Where do I start? I have been saving money for a while for a gun and have $1200 saved up, and from what Ive seen I could put together a pretty sweet rifle for that amount, or get just a basic one from the store.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #2

With $1200 you could buy a Smith&Wesson and be gtg, all you would need to add after that is an optic, ammo and mags.

Where are you located

-DM-

Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum FTA -

Someone with no previous knowledge can ABSOLUTELY build an AR from the ground up. We have several members here who have done exactly that.

My young padwan, junho, is a college kid who came to the site in your exact state. Here is his build thread that he did by himself, and the parts he used, the questions he asked and what he ended up with.

I am a HUGE proponent of building your own weapon over buying one complete for several reasons.

First, you get to decide on the quality of the parts you want, so you can choose what parts you want, not what parts come with the package.

Second, with the knowledge gained by putting it together, you can take it apart, you can inspect it, you can clean it correctly and you can maintain it.

So many people throw some cash at a weapon and expect it to be the solution by itself. Which is great if you work in a gun shop like I do ( part time ) we get orders for complete guns all the time. But how many people really get into the inner workings of their weapon and KNOW how it works? Probably a lot less than you would like to believe.

Now, conversely, I could throw a box of parts on the table in front of junho and tell him to assemble me a working AR, which he could do. He can also self diagnose a problem, and as you can read, make changes to his weapon based on what HE wants to do to it.

Many people have done it & you can too.

The guys here are all willing to help and they would all like to see another AR in a good home.

JD

Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #4

What websites have good quality parts that yall would recommend to start piecing my AR together?

Does anyone have any experience with the buildyourownar15.com website and is it a good guide to buy for $7?

A friend mentioned something about having to ship the trigger assembly to a gun shop to get the proper registration done? If so, what is the process for doing this? Im assuming just call the gun shop and talk to them before ordering?

I am excited about getting started piecing it together soon and spending lots of time on these forums.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 AM   #5

why pay for the manaul when you can find the info for free.. there's some build up pages on here .. and can also find other sites that offer the info for free.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

When you see your friend again, kick him in the junk.

You can have a trigger shipped right to your home. There is no need for an FFL for any part OTHER than the lower receiver.

A step by step guide can be had from Brownell's, I believe for free, and we have one here on how to build a lower in the Knowledge Base for supporting members. Youtube has several videos on how to build an AR and I am sure the website you reference has a good one for $7.

Look. Seriously. This is NOT a complex weapon. If you can insert tab "A" in slot "B" and can figure out how a spring works, you can build one of these.

These aren't hard to put together. Everyone can do it if you are willing to get your hands a little dirty and try it out.

The guys here will gladly help you out. I am SURE that you can build a very good AR from kits from places like Brownells, Del Ton and MidwayUSA.

JD

Old 02-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #7

Liked 1443 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie View Post
I have been saving money for a while for a gun and have $1200 saved up, and from what Ive seen I could put together a pretty sweet rifle for that amount, or get just a basic one from the store.
Or you could spend near half of that and have this:

Rookie Looking For Some Advice - AR-15 Discussion

Or spend the total and get this:

Rookie Looking For Some Advice - AR-15 Discussion

That's a Colt government and a Romey 7.62x39 w/optics!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-10-2009, 02:54 AM   #8

Wow, so much information to learn and so many decisions to make. As of now, I am leaning towards the flat top look (who knows how many times that will change by the time I order).

From the little research I have done so far (much more will be done before any decisions are made), I can either order a full kit with everything except the stripped lower receiver, or order each individual kit which seems to be the better option to get exactly what I want.

If I go the route of ordering each individual kit, what all do I need to pick. Is there any checklist anywhere to make sure that I order everything I need and not miss any parts?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinTexasAggie View Post
What websites have good quality parts that yall would recommend to start piecing my AR together?
Here are some sites that should hold your browsing interest for awhile. I'm sure others will have good websites to recommend also.

Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

MidwayUSA Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Home

LaRue Tactical Home Page

CMMG, Inc

Rock River Arms:

Here is a link to a very good AR thread on another forum. Lots of talk later on in the thread, but pockets of good info make the whole thread worth reading.
So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #10

Ive been looking around and I think I decided exactly what I want. this is exactly how I want my gun to look, but I dont think I need top of the line parts. Mine will basically be for defense, shooting coyotes, hogs, or anything else that threatens my livestock or property. Plus some target shooting.

Can someone tell me what parts I need to look for?

Last edited by FightinTexasAggie; 02-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.