Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Roll mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I went to a gun show this last weekend. I saw lowers without any roll mark. What up with that?

Maybe I could put my own on. rugers mean assed zobie gunz.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #22

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger52 View Post
I went to a gun show this last weekend. I saw lowers without any roll mark. What up with that?

Maybe I could put my own on. rugers mean assed zobie gunz.
That is because some companies contract out for their lowers marked with their roll mark and serial numbers. One manufacture might make 12 different lowers for 12 different companies but all the lowers are the same except for the roll mark. I forget off the top of my head who does this.

if you want your own roll mark it will cost you. As with anything the bigger the order the lower the price. If you want 1 custom engraved lower it will cost you more than if a company orders 3k of them.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #23

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
That is because some companies contract out for their lowers marked with their roll mark and serial numbers. One manufacture might make 12 different lowers for 12 different companies but all the lowers are the same except for the roll mark. I forget off the top of my head who does this.

if you want your own roll mark it will cost you. As with anything the bigger the order the lower the price. If you want 1 custom engraved lower it will cost you more than if a company orders 3k of them.
The biggest Manufacturers for making lowers are: MMS, CMT, LAR and LMT. There may be others, but these are the best known and trusted. Go to AR-15.Com and look under AR Lower Receiver FAQ to find what Companies use which Manufacturer----very informative.
Some of these manufacturers have made (older) lowers for 1 company while another manufacturer now makes the (new) lowers for that same company, so there is swapping back/forth. There are some sudtle differences of flashing on many of the lowers between the Manufacturer's, while another Manufacturer cleans up their flashing/forge joints before exterior anodizing.
As to having a custom "Roll Mark" on just one lower and it's cost, just find a Tattoo Artist and let them use a dremmel tool and diamond bit to give you that custom picture you want. Of course it'll take away the anodizing and leave the raw aluminum alloy under it, which will give it some bling. I'm thinking of letting my SIL(Tatter) do some custom engraving on my AR when he and my Daughter come in this Thanksgiving.
Del

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #24

Liked 916 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
A good shoot is a good shoot. End of story. Again if you think a marking on a firearm is your problem maybe you shouldn't have shot the guy. Please provide any supporting real life evidence to the thinking that a logo on a gun will get you put in prison.

As for my screen name well I would rather have mine then one that degrades women like yours. I guess if just goes to show your mentality.

Also because you haven't figured it out. If I am in court for a shooting I plan to have the best attorney in the state sitting next to me. He would take your roll mark argument that I am some kind of thug wanna be and point out my years of exemplary military service. My years of volunteer work with my church and throughout the community. He would point out that all of my kids were raised in a loving home and they all went on to be successful upstanding citizens in their communities. He would also point out that I have never had a single speeding ticket or moving violation since I started driving and point out that I am a superb upstanding person.

I have yet to see any case where a shoot was deemed bad because of a stupid mark on a gun. I will back down from this if you provide hard proof that in any state at any time in the last 30 years this has happened.
The thing is not everything is solid black or white. It often falls in between. Who's to say it was a good shoot? Who cares what you've done in the past, that's all the past and now there's a dead guy at your front door and your life is about to become real miserable. Who needs more problems at that time? Such as a rollmark that might raise doubts with your "peers" about your character and motives.

Nobody has proof here, and even if you could come up with similar cases your circumstances are unique. Anyway this is all conjecture, no need to get angry.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.