rock river vs. S&W M&P
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > rock river vs. S&W M&P

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 96
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default rock river vs. S&W M&P

Hello all,

I am new to the AR world, as alot of posts here seem to say. I have been looking for awhile and am now looking seriously. I saw a Rock River Predator Pursuit today at a gun show and it was sweet. 20" stainless heavy Wilson barrel, round forearm, in the flat top configuration. Nice trigger too. But the guy didn't take trades so, not having $1000 handy, I left. Went to a gun shop that is a dealer for RRA, and he also had a good deal on Smith and Wesson M&P's, flattop, 16" barrel, and a collapsable stock. I could get for $799 after rebate. Not bad.

Now, here is my problem. I really like the RRA. But pricey. S&W ok. Don't really like the skinny barrel and collapsable stock. My requirements are good accuracy and reliability. I am NOT going to accessorize this thing like I am going to combat. I handload and intend to taylor a load to the gun. I am going to use this gun for strictly target shooting, have a big scope on it, and the RRA has a 3/4" MOA guarantee. But the guy swore to me the S&W would shoot just as good. And could I swap out the collapsable stock for a fixed one? So, who has experience with the S&W? Some opinions would be greatly appreciated.

__________________
shoez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 57
Default

Apples and Oranges. RRA is a 20" 1/8 twist with no sights and a fixed stock guaranteed to shoot sub MOA groups at 100M. S&W is a 16" 1/9 twist with 6 position collapsable stock, Troy Industries BUIS on "A" models, and will shoot sub MOA groups at 100M and 200M after 3k rounds downrange.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/swmp15_121906/index.html

If you plan on punching paper at 100M-300M, then either rifle will be more than accurate with the appropriate ammunition. If you plan on moving out to 600M, then you won't be satisfied with a 16" tube. I would buy the M&P, sell the Troy sights if you don't want them ($125), sell the 6 position stock ($75), replace with a fixed unit, then take the $200 I saved and have nice start to a new target scope. All in what you want the rifle to do though.

__________________
"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775
scoutman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 96
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

The M&P I am looking at has no sights at all, I think they call it "optic ready". But, from the sound of it, the stock can be replaced with a fixed one? And yes, all this rifle will ever do is punch paper at 100 and 200 yards. I dream of a prarie dog hunt someday, but that is just a dream right now. Guess I could find some coyotes or ground hogs around here in Illinois. But paper and maybe a tin can will be the primary target. I am starting to lean to the Smith, kind of because it is a lot easier to obtain and it seems like it will do what I want. But, we will see.

__________________
shoez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
scoutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 57
Default

Yes, you can switch stocks easily. Without sights, it brings the two a little closer in price range. The beauty of the AR platform, is that if for some reason you find that the M&P no longer fits the bill in it's current configuration(long range, big game hunting, etc) you just drop in a new complete upper and have a new rifle. I have two lowers, but 4 complete uppers. 5.56, 7.62, 6.8, and the new .260 Remington. All have dedicated optics, so just pull two pins, drop in the new upper, start shooting. Just that simple. For that matter, you could buy a complete RRA Predator upper somewhere down the road and have both.

__________________
"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775
scoutman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 108
Default

I have a S&W, and I love it... over 1000rds with zero problems so far.

__________________
MySpace

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...
JWIII is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 169
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I would prefer an AR15 made by Smith & Wesson.

__________________
RMTactical is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RL357Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albany,New York
Posts: 3,251
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoez View Post
Hello all,

I am new to the AR world, as alot of posts here seem to say. I have been looking for awhile and am now looking seriously. I saw a Rock River Predator Pursuit today at a gun show and it was sweet. 20" stainless heavy Wilson barrel, round forearm, in the flat top configuration. Nice trigger too. But the guy didn't take trades so, not having $1000 handy, I left. Went to a gun shop that is a dealer for RRA, and he also had a good deal on Smith and Wesson M&P's, flattop, 16" barrel, and a collapsable stock. I could get for $799 after rebate. Not bad.

Now, here is my problem. I really like the RRA. But pricey. S&W ok. Don't really like the skinny barrel and collapsable stock. My requirements are good accuracy and reliability. I am NOT going to accessorize this thing like I am going to combat. I handload and intend to taylor a load to the gun. I am going to use this gun for strictly target shooting, have a big scope on it, and the RRA has a 3/4" MOA guarantee. But the guy swore to me the S&W would shoot just as good. And could I swap out the collapsable stock for a fixed one? So, who has experience with the S&W? Some opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The Predator Pursuit lists for $1075 in the RRA retail catalog. I bought the NMA4 which lists for $1215. But I paid $915...how? If you are friends with an FFL holder, ask him to give you a signed copy of his FFL and order the gun directly from RRA. It will ship to his address, but you will get dealer pricing! You will pay less for the RRA than for the S&W also. RRA's dealer pricing is $300 less than their retail pricing. Incidentally, with my handloads I knocked the 3/4 moa guarantee down to less than 1/2". They are VERY accurate and you would need a machine rest to measure their true potential. The .223 Wylde Chambering is more accurate than the standard 5.56 chambering. Additionally, RRA sells complete uppers from 9mm up to .458 Socom if you ever want to convert your AR in another caliber!
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-04-2008 at 01:43 AM.
RL357Mag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
I would prefer an AR15 made by Smith & Wesson.
Hey! What, the heck, are you doing over here?

I'm used to talking to you at GT! (And you're using the same screen name, too!) I was going to disagree with you - Especially since the receivers are made by the same company - but, I recognize you usually know what you're talking about. So, go ahead and tell me, 'Why' do you prefer the AR assemblage that's presently being marketed by S&W?
__________________
G21.45 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Hey! What, the heck, are you doing over here?

I'm used to talking to you at GT! (And you're using the same screen name, too!) I was going to disagree with you - Especially since the receivers are made by the same company - but, I recognize you usually know what you're talking about. So, go ahead and tell me, 'Why' do you prefer the AR assemblage that's presently being marketed by S&W?
I know the S&W's are made by CMT, but I heard that was the earlier models. Now S&W makes their own rifle??? Is That true?
__________________
MySpace

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...
JWIII is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JWIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
I know the S&W's are made by CMT, but I heard that was the earlier models. Now S&W makes their own rifle??? Is That true?

Update... I talked to S&W, they have no plans to make their own parts. They are still using CMT.

S&W = Stag
__________________
MySpace

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...
JWIII is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Rock River Upper $399 NEW HK911 Sponsor Display 13 04-25-2010 07:42 AM
Rock River Arms, A+ twotwothree AR-15 Discussion 4 12-19-2009 02:00 PM
Rock River Arms AR Carbines TXnorton AR-15 Discussion 3 08-02-2008 12:37 PM
Rock River .308 jleeper719 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 1 08-10-2007 10:32 PM
Rock River 9MM MAGS HK911 Firearm Accessories & Gear 0 07-17-2007 10:27 PM