Rock River Varmint - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River Varmint

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humboldtshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 145
Default

Also, I was at a buddy's house today and decided to bring my lower with. I was looking at his old top load AR and tried to put his upper on my lower. His upper attaches to his lower with now work at all to insert the take down pins. However, it was super tight when trying to put it on mine and I decided to not go any further than what it did. Anyone have similar issue? In assuming it may be a good thing to have all the pieces very tight together, but am not sure. Sorry for my ignorance guys and thanks for the help.

__________________
humboldtshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #32
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,558
Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
I believe the NM barrel is the same as the RRA predator pursuit. It's about a pound lighter than the varmint series. I also looked into these ones. RRA seems to have some good reviews. I've looked at the cmmg and dpms BB models and have shot the dpms. I still seem to be leaning towards RRA.
I skipped the dpms and cmmg version triggers on the stock out of the box rra is better they tend to come standard no upcharge for chromed bcg, makes cleaning a snap. Rra just had better fir and finish. Looks and feels like a more professionaly produced machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
Also, I was at a buddy's house today and decided to bring my lower with. I was looking at his old top load AR and tried to put his upper on my lower. His upper attaches to his lower with now work at all to insert the take down pins. However, it was super tight when trying to put it on mine and I decided to not go any further than what it did. Anyone have similar issue? In assuming it may be a good thing to have all the pieces very tight together, but am not sure. Sorry for my ignorance guys and thanks for the help.
Tight is good. Just the standard upper lowers from rra that havent been mated together have better fit than higher end uppers and lowers. My rra lower is just a non special lower and you cant see any light between it and the nm upper. There is no wiggle at all.

While a looser upper lower fit doesnt mean much it CAN in extreme cases cause the bcg to bind slightly in the buffer tube and be a frustrating cause of intermittant fail to feed/eject.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humboldtshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

I skipped the dpms and cmmg version triggers on the stock out of the box rra is better they tend to come standard no upcharge for chromed bcg, makes cleaning a snap. Rra just had better fir and finish. Looks and feels like a more professionaly produced machine

Tight is good. Just the standard upper lowers from rra that havent been mated together have better fit than higher end uppers and lowers. My rra lower is just a non special lower and you cant see any light between it and the nm upper. There is no wiggle at all.

While a looser upper lower fit doesnt mean much it CAN in extreme cases cause the bcg to bind slightly in the buffer tube and be a frustrating cause of intermittant fail to feed/eject.
I agree, rra seems to be an excellent company. Now you have the RRA lpk? Or is it an upgraded trigger? I have a standard bushmaster lpk and my trigger pull is like 8lb's.

As far as the lower being tight, that makes me feel a little better. I almost couldn't get the pin out, and it wasn't all the way in. I mean, I don't mind if no harm is done and maybe it won't be as tight on the RRA upper.
__________________
humboldtshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #34
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,558
Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtshooter View Post
I agree, rra seems to be an excellent company. Now you have the RRA lpk? Or is it an upgraded trigger? I have a standard bushmaster lpk and my trigger pull is like 8lb's.

As far as the lower being tight, that makes me feel a little better. I almost couldn't get the pin out, and it wasn't all the way in. I mean, I don't mind if no harm is done and maybe it won't be as tight on the RRA upper.
yes its got the rra nm 2 stage chrome innards. its probably the best trigger group short of a gisele or timiny. the rest are also rra.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
humboldtshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

yes its got the rra nm 2 stage chrome innards. its probably the best trigger group short of a gisele or timiny. the rest are also rra.
Oh nice. How do u like the 2 stage? I've never used one. Im definitely going to upgrade the trigger too. Not sure if I'd like a 2 stage tho
__________________
humboldtshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Rock River Arms LAR 8 bigjimbo308 Gunsmithing Forum 2 01-18-2011 02:39 AM
WTS Rock River 9mm CAR A4 Rifle michiana Sponsor Display 0 01-13-2010 10:59 PM
Rock River Arms, A+ twotwothree AR-15 Discussion 4 12-19-2009 01:00 PM
rock river vs. S&W M&P shoez AR-15 Discussion 11 08-14-2008 02:08 PM
Rock River .308 jleeper719 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 1 08-10-2007 09:32 PM