Rock River Varmint - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River Varmint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 338 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

There's lots of other barrel makers out there with better reps that RRA. Most offer hybrid chambers like the Wylde. If ultimate precision is your goal then handloading and a better barrel and maybe a Young's match bolt would better suit your needs.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 01-25-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
There's lots of other barrel makers out there with better reps that RRA. Most offer hybrid chambers like the Wylde. If ultimate precision is your goal then handloading and a better barrel and maybe a Young's match bolt would better suit your needs.
Youngs match bolt? I'll look into that, I've also been looking at other uppers, I just dont want to get too far in a hole as far as cost goes. What barrels do you recommend for precision shooting?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #23

ya, i think the Young's BCG is $300 by itself.

as for barrels,
Kreiger
White Oak
Brux
LiLja
Blackhole weaponry
JP Enterprises
Noveske
Rainer Arms
etc etc etc

soo many choices.....all very reputable.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
ya, i think the Young's BCG is $300 by itself.

as for barrels,
Kreiger
White Oak
Brux
LiLja
Blackhole weaponry
JP Enterprises
Noveske
Rainer Arms
etc etc etc

soo many choices.....all very reputable.
Yes. I agree on the choices thing. That's why I'm trying to ask as many Q's as I can here. Lol I know a buddy of mine just ordered and got a Daniel defense barrel. Not sure of the details on it

Old 01-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #25

Liked 1284 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Firstly you gotta understand, with all other things being equal, the longer a barrel the less accurate it is.
Google Barrel harmonics and Barrel Whip for more in depth information....caution may melt ur eyes.

The reason peps use longer barrels is to get out to longer ranges, because they give bullets more time to accelerate and travel faster. Faster bullets less drop. Less drop, less hold over.
AgentTikki,Please don't take this the wrong way,but do you even have a clue about firearms design or function.
Just where do you come up with the idea that a longer barrel is less accurate than a shorter barrel? The general idea of barrel length of a rifle cartridge is to have enough barrel length in order to have a complete powder burn,which equates to the optimum bullet speed/trajectory.

Now,the length of most 223 caliber AR's ranges from 16-24 inches,and they all will shoot within a couple hundred FPS of each other,and just about any brand will shoot very accurate.

Barrel whip doesn't come into play when your talking about a varmint or target contoured barrel,but it can have issues with sporter and lite weight sporter barrels after the barrel is heated up from firing several shots.

To the OP,The RRA Varminter is a great rifle.I have the 20" version,and a friend has an 18".Both guns shoot handloads in the 1/2-3/4 moa range.I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't say what it does.
As far as weight difference between the two-Not much,a few ounces.But they are a lot heavier than your standard AR.
I hunt with heavy barreled rifles,and they are no problem to tote around all day if you have the right type of sling,but the AR is muzzle heavy.

55gr ammo is fine for plinking,but you will want to try out some 68-75gr match ammo to really see what the rifle will truely shoot good at longer ranges.I shoot a lot of 75gr BTHP match and 75gr AMax bullets out of mine.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #26

I'm sorry - why would you buy a Young chrome BCG when you can get a NiB for far cheaper? Not sure how the suggestion to buy a Young BCG effects accuracy but it does make cleaning easier as well. My experience says it's my trigger, barrel and optics that allow me to shoot accurately....but I guess I learned something new tonight.....

http://hamlundtactical.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92_93_224&p roducts_id=3097

Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
AgentTikki,Please don't take this the wrong way,but do you even have a clue about firearms design or function.
Just where do you come up with the idea that a longer barrel is less accurate than a shorter barrel? The general idea of barrel length of a rifle cartridge is to have enough barrel length in order to have a complete powder burn,which equates to the optimum bullet speed/trajectory.

Now,the length of most 223 caliber AR's ranges from 16-24 inches,and they all will shoot within a couple hundred FPS of each other,and just about any brand will shoot very accurate.

Barrel whip doesn't come into play when your talking about a varmint or target contoured barrel,but it can have issues with sporter and lite weight sporter barrels after the barrel is heated up from firing several shots.
Txhillbilly what part of my statement is incorrect to you? If you think a longer barrel is inherently more accurate than a shorter length barrel....with all other things being equal (ie crown, barrel width/profile, twist rate etc etc) please give me a reasonable argument and show me how knowledgeable you really are. If you can't come up with an explanation, I'd be more than happy to help you try (there are some instances where my statement isn't true).

And what exactly is the barrel length of a rifle cartridge? If I'm not mistaken, and you'll have to forgive me but its been awhile since I've had to translate a deep Texan drawl, but I believe I covered, the whole the longer the barrel the time the bullet has to accelerate thing, tho I do concede that your explanation is more thorough and verbose.

As for your blanket statement about design and function, could you be a little more specific or you just out to ruffle a few feathers?

Last edited by AgentTikki; 01-26-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmanathome View Post
I'm sorry - why would you buy a Young chrome BCG when you can get a NiB for far cheaper? Not sure how the suggestion to buy a Young BCG effects accuracy but it does make cleaning easier as well. My experience says it's my trigger, barrel and optics that allow me to shoot accurately....but I guess I learned something new tonight.....

http://hamlundtactical.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92_93_224&p roducts_id=3097
For extreme precision builds, you want a bolt with consistent lockup. This is the only time I see a match bolt might be useful. I'm not recommending it because its slick and shiny and easy to clean, or will go 10k rounds without any lube. I'm recommending it because its made with super tight tolerances and will provide the same lockup over and over. It may make your gun pickup with ammo, but if overall precision is your goal, look to a Young's.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6550 Times on 3484 Posts
Likes Given: 489

my favorite rifle is my RRA national match A2. it uses the same barrel as the varmint series which is a wilson air gauged cryo treated 20" heavy barrel. i like using open sights the most and can usually achieve sub moa with it. if you put a krieger or white oak barrel in the hands of most people they wont get any better results than a RRA/wilson build.

what most people who compete in service rifle matches do starting out is buy a RRA/Wilson and wear that barrel out learning to shoot then swith to krieger or white oak. that are nmerous people that use the RRA national match to get to high master or even grandmaster in service rifle competition.

in my opinion, unless your at the top of the shooting ladder your better off buying a nice RRA and spending the diference in cost on ammo and range fees...

the rifle:

some of my shot groups at 300 yards open sights 69grn sierra bthp over varget:

two 3 shot groups top one is slightly over 1 moa bottom group is sub moa

6 shot string 1 flier opened it past moa

3 shots 2 inch spread

7 shots 5 inches worst group that day

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
my favorite rifle is my RRA national match A2. it uses the same barrel as the varmint series which is a wilson air gauged cryo treated 20" heavy barrel. i like using open sights the most and can usually achieve sub moa with it. if you put a krieger or white oak barrel in the hands of most people they wont get any better results than a RRA/wilson build.

what most people who compete in service rifle matches do starting out is buy a RRA/Wilson and wear that barrel out learning to shoot then swith to krieger or white oak. that are nmerous people that use the RRA national match to get to high master or even grandmaster in service rifle competition.

in my opinion, unless your at the top of the shooting ladder your better off buying a nice RRA and spending the diference in cost on ammo and range fees...

the rifle:

some of my shot groups at 300 yards open sights 69grn sierra bthp over varget:

two 3 shot groups top one is slightly over 1 moa bottom group is sub moa

6 shot string 1 flier opened it past moa

3 shots 2 inch spread

7 shots 5 inches worst group that day
I believe the NM barrel is the same as the RRA predator pursuit. It's about a pound lighter than the varmint series. I also looked into these ones. RRA seems to have some good reviews. I've looked at the cmmg and dpms BB models and have shot the dpms. I still seem to be leaning towards RRA.