Rock River Varmint
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Rock River Varmint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rock River Varmint

I'm currently looking at the rock river varmint uppers, and can't decide how long of a barrel I should get. Can anyone help with the advantages of a longer or shorter barrel? Does anyone currently use this system? I'm finally done with m lower and am getting the itch to get it done.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some of the answer has to do with how far you are going to be shooting in most cases. If we are talking 5.56 /.223 cal. I'd think a 20" length would be plenty for work out to 500 yards.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #3

Liked 352 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Decide on what distances you plan to shoot.

Choose what kind of bullets you intend to use.

Then choosing a barrel will be much easier.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #4

Well my local range only goes to 200, but I'm in the process of finding a different location where I can shoot further. I've been shooting the federal American eagle 55g fmj out of my bolt action and will most likely be shooting the same int the AR, mostly because of cost. I'm kinda steering away from the 24". The 20" or 18" seem to be closest to the look I want, but have no clue which would be better or if there is a difference. I know the RRA varmint is a 1:8 twist, and don't know the effect barrel length will have on it.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
Some of the answer has to do with how far you are going to be shooting in most cases. If we are talking 5.56 /.223 cal. I'd think a 20" length would be plenty for work out to 500 yards.
I've been leaning towards the 20" more than any other. A buddy told me he thought 18", but I think he just likes the shorter look. Here's a pic if the lower too. Just finished it Friday.
image-3348168773.jpg  

Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 AM   #6

Firstly you gotta understand, with all other things being equal, the longer a barrel the less accurate it is.
Google Barrel harmonics and Barrel Whip for more in depth information....caution may melt ur eyes.

The reason peps use longer barrels is to get out to longer ranges, because they give bullets more time to accelerate and travel faster. Faster bullets less drop. Less drop, less hold over.

200 yards, I can get it there with my 7.5" barrel ar pistol. No really. I can. Shorter barrels, more rigid, in conjuction with a free float handguard = extremely precise.

Don't think you need a 18" barrel man, but you will want free floated handguards for more precision.

Id honestly only consider barrels longer than 16" for distances greater than 500. At ranges beyond 500, I'd be looking at some pretty expensive glass.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 01-24-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #7

....nice looking lower btw, how do like that PRS? Wonder if my pistol upper would look good on that....

Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

If you want a benchrest gun, a bull barrel 18 inch stainless barrel, with a rifle gas system would be more than enough barrel for your needs. It'd also be a heavy beast, but you'd just be lugging it the bench right? I know there's a bunch of longer ranges in nor-cal. Go to Calguns.net. They are a great community and I know there's a bunch of informal, and formal long range competitions up by Sac. Also consider taking a couple Appleseed classes and prepared to be amazed at what a sling and a 16" barrel can do.....without optics.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
....nice looking lower btw, how do like that PRS? Wonder if my pistol upper would look good on that....
On second thought, lets not do this.......would become an SBR. 1</3 USSK.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #10

The PRS is great ( as far as I can tell without shooting with it. Super comfortable against the shoulder. If I could find a place to shoot at longer distances, then I'd like to. Around where I'm from there's a lot of residential areas. So shorter means more accurate? I think the lowest I'd want to go is 18" that way if I do shoot longer, I have the ability to. I'll give the website a look to see of any other local spots.