Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River LAR9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rock River LAR9

I've searched and read and haven't found the answer I'm looking for. So here are my questions that I'm sure someone(s) can answer.

A couple of statements.

My fingers don't work so good at tedious tasks, so I can't build my own.
Due to medical implants, I can't take the recoil of large caliber weapons.
I have a Colt AR15 way preban in .223, but a few rounds is all I can squeeze.

My carry & defense weapons are XD 9mm loaded with NATO JHP spec ammo.
I use 9mm Luger (USA under powered loads, 115 gr. for practice. 200 rounds before it becomes uncomfortable.

I like the AR platform and started out to buy a .22 because of no recoil, but decided on a 9mm that I should be able to use as a minimum caliber defensive weapon.

The use for this will be defense of the home front - my home.

So my questions -

What range is an AR9 good for? I'm not a long shooter, say 0 to 150 - 200 yards.

Will any AR9 handle a +p+ pressure round that is close to NATO specs.

Will they generally handle a JHP or only round ball.

Since I can't focus on both a target and a sight, I need a both eyes open optic sight.

I have researched and decided the Rock River LAR9 is the best bang for the buck.

Comments ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #2

Default No one ?

Must be some tough questions !!!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Sorry... never fired or even read up on an AR in 9.

But welcome to the forum and thanks for stepping up to supporting right off the bat.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #4

Default Most info I have found so far - just FYI if interested

TacticalGunFan.com - Rock River Arms LAR-9 Makes Great Sense

Old 09-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I also have no experience with a 9mm AR but from what I've heard they do fine with FMJ and hit with power and accuracy out to 150 yards. Ammo is cheap so it should be a good fit. Can't imagine +P+ would be any problem, the AR action handles much stronger rounds.

Still, have you fired a standard AR and found the recoil to be too much? 5.56 is very light kicking and you could go with a midlength to soften the pulse even more. Through in an H-buffer and M16 bolt carrier and light .223 ammo you've got a real *****cat for a rifle.

ETA:
Filter got me... how about puddytat...

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have one at the range as a rental and it's gets lots of use. Not a lot of recoil and very fun to shoot. As far as range goes I've never shot it over 25 yards but it's quite accurate out to that yardage. The Rock LR9 would be a nice piece for any collection IMHO. Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have the Bushmaster 9mm AR. Well, I mean I own one. Bushmaster has it back for repair. They've had it for 4.5 months, still no repair. The recoil difference is pretty small between a 9mm and a 5.56. If you can't take the 5.56, I wouldn't spend the money on a 9mm. The lowest recoiling defensive carbine I know of is the FNH, PS90. Not cheap, but if you are highly recoil sensative it may be the way to go.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #8

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Hi,

This is my Rock River Arms LAR-9, 9 MM AR-15 Carbine. This rifle has been a great performer. As you can see from the photographs it is machined from solid as a dedicated 9 MM. Colt, as well as other press a block into the mag well. This makes for a really nice magazine fit. My carbine will feed reliably from Colt, C-Products, as well as Pro-Mag Polymer magazines. All lock up nice and tight. Resting the gun on the magazine also does not cause an issue. The guns feeds all open nosed self defense ammo reliably, and recoil is a non issue with the gun.

Mostly I run the Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ through it because I get it at Wal-Mart for $9.47 a box of 50. It's great for plinking and I can easily ring the steel plates on my clubs 200 yard range with it. The 9 MM has more range than a lot of people think, especially from the longer barrel a carbine affords. The gun being of blow back, and not direct impingement operation, stays very clean, even after 300+ rounds. For self defense in a home it makes a good weapon without the danger of over penetration like can happen with say a 5.56 M-855 round. If you get one of these guns make sure you buy a lot of ammo because you'll be shooting it a LOT! All I need to get for it is a 100 round Beta-C Magazine! Bill T.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

About the only thing I forgot to mention is when you fill the Pro-Mag polymer magazines over 30 rounds, they tend to swell a bit and can fit a little tight when you insert them. Once you get them in however, they run like a champ. Bill T.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #10

Default Thanks for the info.

Interesting read on the PS90, pricey & would require a different caliber ammo.

I bought an LAR9 today. It came with A1 flash hider, 6 position tactical stock, free float quad rail, hogue rubber grip, flip front sight gas block, badger tactical latch, and winter trigger guard.

I still need some more magazines and have to decided on a red dot optical system.

These things are sort of like buying a Harley Bike. You get a starter kit, then start dumping $$$$ into it

Thanks for the input !!