Rock River Arms VS Colt VS Bushmaster - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River Arms VS Colt VS Bushmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Wambli is 100% right about that. Buying a full rifle or full kit to get by with, and then eventually getting the parts you truely want is more expensive... I just never had the patience! You can go to any search engine online and find a parts list with an exploded diagram. I know Rock River has the diagrams, and then the parts listed with prices/upgraded parts on their website. They make it REAL easy to give them your money. As for tools, Brownells should have them all. Upper receiver vise block, lower receiver vise block, Barrel wrench (do yourself a favor and get the one with the half moon AND the two prongs, not just one or the other DPMS makes a perfect one), stock wrench (depending on what kind of stock you go with), And a punch set. The front sight block is a big help, but I know people who can go without it. Other than that, if you have a tool bag at home with various stuff you should be good. Did I forget anything, Y'all?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Robocops description of the S&W mirrors my experience with the lone example I own. Great rifle, not to bad up front cost, excellent value.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #13

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 984

Sounds like you're going to build a rifle, HawkI. And that's a good choice. I think most of your questions will be answered in the stickies you were referred to but I would suggest just building up a stripped lower with a lower parts kit and buttstock then buy a complete upper that meets your specs. No sense buying the tools to assemble an upper if you're only building one. As far as the lower, I made do with the tools I already had and it went fine (most people do the same).

If you want to buy a complete AR look at the Spikes Tactical LE models for about $800. They're the cheapest way at the moment to get a near milspec AR - complete in the box. And are a notch higher than a RRA or Bushmaster.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #14

Default gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkI View Post
I will probably just buy my own parts and assemble the weapon. Does anyone know the list of parts I need to purchase in order to assemble the full M4 carbine? Tools needed?
HI i have a Rock river LAR 15 , i have added a few things to it.#1 i took off the hand grab put on a free float tube. then i went with the 3" TTI full muzzle brake.in richmond Va. and bipod,walmart. i love the rifle. i dont have a flat top only because i love the M16 look and the A2 sights.you O in the rifle at 25 MM you got a kick ass gun.plus i am reloading my ammo. with IMR 4198 powder with RCBS rangemaster 750 scale. with midwayusa .50 gr dogtown HP bullets. or the .50 > varmint grenade < bullets look it up on youtube video cool. but if you are going to make a rifle.do this.20" barrel. free float tube,full muzzle brake. i put the TTI for 70.00 the rifle sets there every shot.now i have the 16" barrel but i like the rifle and its to much in LBs to carry all day with a 20" barrel..with a rock you get the M16 manual.just be carefull with the cleaning,never ruch with the upper,it will kill you.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #15

Liked 929 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 581

Cpttango, that gun is just about what I want to build! (Asssuming it is 5.56 Cal). Did you build it? Send any pertinent info, please! Thanks

Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

NOt knocking any others, but I have three RRA's from the last 5-8 years. All of them will interchange uppers/lowers with excellent fit all the way around. This one is my first build... there's $1200 worth of parts (2004 prices)

and it shoots pretty good...

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Tags
ar-15, bushmaster, colt, m4 carbine, rock river arms