Rock River Arms National Match A2 First Impressions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River Arms National Match A2 First Impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Default Rock River Arms National Match A2 First Impressions

ive been sick since thursday and decided to take today off to recover. Of course today is ALSO the day the new upper showed up. quality as expected is quite high. there were however some small issues on arrival that i discovered.

first off here is the upper mated to my RRA lower with RRA 2 stage trigger and turner saddlry All Weather Biothane Sling. Shipping weight according to RRA packing label was 9lbs for just the upper. yes i know the sling is on backwards its since been corrected. im not feeling well today.

i ordered it with the barrel bead blasted normally they come shiny stainless steel but i hate the stainless look whether its handguns rifles shotguns or kitchen appliances. but the bead blasted stainless i have to admit is pretty damn sexy. its a wilson air gauged cryo treated barrel 1:8 twist chambered as a wylde to accomodate 5.56 and .223. unfortunately RRA chose to use a crush washer instead of a peel washer meaning if you need to remove the hider for some reason you will have to replace it. i will upgrade that to a peel washer at some point. its not critical just irritating and something that shouldnt be on a NM setup.

the handguards are free floated and to do this the heatshield was eliminated but a close look at the free float tube shows why this was done

the extractor comes with black rubber insert not sure why that is preffered in some circles but there it is.

-Continued-

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-18-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

the rear sight is 1/4 moa adjustment for both elevation and windage. not sure if i will like that or not but swapping it for 1/2 moa is easy enough if i dont. the hooded aperture is .040 diameter. not sure if im going to like that or not as ive never had a rifle with a hooded peep type sight. my lint free rags obviously arent as lint free as they could be *sigh*. im definately going to white inlay the windage marks

now for the odd.

on unwrapping and it smelled like it had been doused in wd40. took me a good hour to clean that crud off the upper. on the bolt firing pin and inside the bolt carrier there was a carbon like residue that felt like it was more plastic than carbon. as you can see it was pretty thick but wiped off easily with a solvent patch.

the catm4 tool with a solvent soaked patch took care of the inside of the carrier.

i have no idea what that black gunk was or how it got there with that consistancy.

overall im liking it a lot. cant wait to try it out this weekend.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-18-2011 at 08:24 PM.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Awesome!

I just ordered a NM AR. My decision came down to RRA and BCM.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

so what did ya go with bcm or rra??

Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Gives me something to expect when I get my RRA upper. Whenever that will be.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
so what did ya go with bcm or rra??
Bravo Company A4 Mod1

tbh my local guys got the BCM about $300 cheaper than the RRA NMA4. And this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronguyton View Post
Gives me something to expect when I get my RRA upper. Whenever that will be.
...RRA couldn't give me any time frame on delivery. "Hopefully around 90 days."

And I already have a RRA. Wanted something different.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

my wait was right at 23 days. the price difference comes from the free float tube sights and barrel.

your gonna have to let us knw how yours shoots!!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #8

23 days? Does your cousin work at RRA?

If you don't mind my asking, what kinda mags you gonna roll with that NM?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
23 days? Does your cousin work at RRA?

If you don't mind my asking, what kinda mags you gonna roll with that NM?
heh i wish maybe they woulda give me the tour. but i live about 2 hours from rra.

20 round aluminum milsurp

Old 07-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I placed my order June 1. Some of the stuff I've been reading was a 3 to 4 month wait time. So 23 days seems very lucky.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .