Rock River Arms - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River Arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The Original post........Any RRA should be fine according to my limited knowlege I don't believe you can go wrong with that for a first STORE BOUGHT AR. I'm of the untested, inexperienced opinion that you CAN build an equal and probably much better rifle by building it yourself AT A MUCH BETTER VALUE....with products that are and aren't listed on the "CHART". Thanks all with the exception of DOG 2000 for soothing my very delicate ego. My manhood has been somewhat restored and I now have the courage to continue with my precious endeavor. Lets remember to tread lightly on others feelings so we can be a happy group that celebrates our diversity when it comes to our AR's. Sunshine and rainbows to everyone, except dog.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #42

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I too believe you can build an AR using better parts for right around the same price of a standard factory AR.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #43
DRT

I recently built my first AR target rifle and it was very easy. I picked the RRA Predator Pursuit Upper 20". I got online for $630 for the complete upper. I installed a basic lower kit and then took it to Leroy Johnson of Johnson Percision for a trigger job-only $100 and I have a 3.5lb crisp/ safe trigger pull- total cost of the build?? Upper $630, Lower $125 w/ reg fees, CAA adjustable grip system $30, A2 stock $45, total- $930.00. Accuracy??? With my reloads using 69gr Sierra Matchkings or Bergers 5 shots into 5/8th inch @ 100 yds. To get a gun that shoots that well out of the box you would have to just about double that. Good luck with your gun.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #44
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

The Rock River would sure be one of my number one choices. I like the Elite CAR A-4 with the Mid Length Hand-guard. This leaves you another 1 3/4 inches of rail surface on the free float quad rail should you wish to mount lights, vertical grips, lasers and etc. The trigger in them is to die for being that RRA 2 Stage. Mine came with the 2 Stage, Star Selector, RRA/Hague Pistol Grip, Front Side Sling Swivel and the good warranty that they have spoken about. She was purchased in 2001 and has about 30,000 rounds through her. Yes I did re-barrel her about 3 years ago. Never had feed problems and when she has a new good barrel 1/2 MOA at 100 yards when I am having a good day. I also have some other good ARs but she is one of the best!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #45

I had never heard of the M4 Chart but i went and found it so I couls study it to become better informed on the subject. thanks i needed some new material to read.

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #46

I doubt I can say anything that hasn't already been said here. BUT, I have built a number of ARs, both for myself and for friends. Both of the ones I still have are the first two I ever built and I have put thousands of rounds through both with very few/no problems whatsoever.

I have a standard Rock River Arms A2 upper (20" bbl) on one and their newer Elite Comp on the other.

I have used DPMS lowers on all my builds, with DPMS trigger parts. No problems there, even with no "messin around" in an attempt to improve the trigger.

I love what Magpul has to offer in the buttstock and grip areas. For a guy with pretty good size hands, the replaceable front- and backstraps are a plus. And the storage in the grip is kind of nice, too.

I'm a big fan of RRA. They offer a nice military discount, and I'll never complain about that. They make quality stuff that has definitely stood up to the volume of shooting I do and the mild abuse I put my rifles through.

cimg2590.jpg   cimg2591.jpg   rra-elite-comp-two-views.jpg  

Last edited by stelliott80; 11-26-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #47

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hate to be the party pooper but aren't ALL ARs mil-spec and meet the same exact requirements? I do know that RRA has some models that have their 2 stage trigger assemblies so there are some minor differences but basically most M-4 type clones are very close to the same no matter which maker you buy. I have had good luck with RRA, Bushmaster, Superior Arms, Stag Arms and so on because are all made to the same high standards. These same high standards allow me to pick and choose from one maker whatever features I want to have on my rifles and mount on a lower or upper from another maker. I like my ARs because they are so flexible and this mil-spec standard system works well to let me, the customer, have what I want.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #48
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2549 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Recon,

The real truth is that very few ARs in the commercial market are actually true mil-spec at all. Does that make them bad! Not at all sometimes some of the good manufacturers specs are held closer than Mil-Spec. And other areas required by Mil-Spec regulations are not important at all to us. For example mil-spec states that all surfaces must be covered, anodized, finished what ever. For example the Rock River and other good manufacturers finish their barrels after the front sight housing is affixed. Leaving two shine metal unfinished bands under the front sight housing that are not coated or finished. A true mil-spec rifle must have the entire barrel coated. Also the great feed ramps on the M-4 feed ramps on the River guns and others are smooth and shinny. Must be plated on the Mil-Spec Rifle. And as stated the Mil-Spec is a + or - dimension some of the new rifles are tighter tolerance. In addition the Mil Spec Rifles accuracy requirement is not as good as Rock River, Stag and some who guarantee 1 to 1 1/2 MOA accuracy. So just because a weapon is true Mil-Spec does not mean it is built as well as some on the market today. Do not misunderstand the Mil-Spec weapon is a fine rifle.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
1) - There is so much talk about cold hammer forged versus button versus blah, blah, blah, you may never get a straight answer. Talk to ten different barrel makers and you will get ten reasons, all different, as to why they make their barrels the way they do.

Don't get caught up in the hype. If you like the RRA rifle and it fits your priceline, buy it. Don't listen to a bunch of armchair gunbuilders on the interwebz talk you out of it.

2) The AR platform is a very simple, very easy to maintain and therefor build, design. You can buy a lower, an RRA parts kits, a stock and buffer and assemble your complete lower in a couple of hours at the kitchen table.

There is no grand mystery to the unit, though half the world wants you to believe there is. My young padwan Junho is a fine example. He came here wanting an AR, but not knowing anything about them. After a few weeks of posts and research, along with some reading, he built his own from the ground up and was turning in great groups, had no reliability issues and was in turn giving AR advice to other new members.

He is one of my greatest accomplishments on this forum because he went from zero to full blown gunner in just a couple of months. He had the will & desire and it paid off with an excellent final product and a world of knowledge.

There is no reason you can not do the same thing. Buying quality parts and installing themselves will give you a world of confidence in the unit, not to mention the ability to customize it down the road.

For the record, RRA makes a fine weapon and I would have no problem handing one to a family member should they need one.

JD

JD, awsome post ! :thumbs up:

im in the same boat' wanted a AR after being gone 35 years, [military]
now after getting a bushy carbean in on a trade deal, with old corn planter.
im now building my own from the ground up' mostly retro's and n0-dak-spud's lowers,
i have ''one'' RR lower' that i built with a A1 stock, and two stage match trigger. [sweet], i used it on a A4 clone build.
now after looking on Retro Black Rifle www.retroblackrifle.com
im thinking of a A2 build' or a model 606 build

peabody

Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelliott80 View Post
I doubt I can say anything that hasn't already been said here. BUT, I have built a number of ARs, both for myself and for friends. Both of the ones I still have are the first two I ever built and I have put thousands of rounds through both with very few/no problems whatsoever.

I have a standard Rock River Arms A2 upper (20" bbl) on one and their newer Elite Comp on the other.

I have used DPMS lowers on all my builds, with DPMS trigger parts. No problems there, even with no "messin around" in an attempt to improve the trigger.

I love what Magpul has to offer in the buttstock and grip areas. For a guy with pretty good size hands, the replaceable front- and backstraps are a plus. And the storage in the grip is kind of nice, too.

I'm a big fan of RRA. They offer a nice military discount, and I'll never complain about that. They make quality stuff that has definitely stood up to the volume of shooting I do and the mild abuse I put my rifles through.

i agree' rr makes great stuff.
i love your A2, now thats what an AR should be.
cept maybe a clone of the 604 pencil barrel,

i thinks eugen stoner got it right the 1st time,

peabody