Rock River Arms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Rock River Arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rock River Arms

So i'm looking for a rifle never owned a AR before I have always been of the school of thought that "you get what you pay for". These seem like some bad ass rifles but it seems odd that they are so relatively cheap for such a built rifle like I said dont know much about AR's so if anyone could educate me that would be great. Thanks

Ps. looking at this one RRA LAR-15 Tactical Operator2 they say it retails at about $1000, I was hoping to spend between $1000 to $1200 so if there is a better rifle for the price let me know. Thanks again

Last edited by Mossyoakman3006; 08-15-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is true that you "get what you pay for"
Because there are so many companies offering AR's or SUR (Sport Utility Rifle) as we call it around here, prices are not as high compared to other rifles. Just go with any of the well known/common AR-15 brands and you should be just dandy.

Just curious have you ever thought about building one yourself?

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 08-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #3

Never really thought about it, not to say I am oppossed to the idea
[

Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 AM   #4

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
Never really thought about it, not to say I am oppossed to the idea
[
Do some more reading about the AR section of the forum. Check out the different build threads, particularly Junho's. Buying a complete AR is easy ..... assembling one on your own, choosing all the components, almost as easy.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Do some more reading about the AR section of the forum. Check out the different build threads, particularly Junho's. Buying a complete AR is easy ..... assembling one on your own, choosing all the components, almost as easy.
+1
and you've got a whole community of friendly gun lovers at your disposal!

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 08-15-2010, 04:14 AM   #6

good to know might just give it a shot
thanks again

Old 08-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rock River is a good company and makes quality products. I assembled my AR from Rock River components. Many of the members in this forum are RR fans.

Like the others, I strongly urge you to consider building your own. It's fun, it's easy, it's educational, and you'll have a certain sense of pride that you did it yourself!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The one thing I find exceptional about RRA is that they guarantee 1" groups at 100 yard with many of their firearms.
I'm not sure if I could make that claim with any of the builds I have done.

RRA IMHO is one of the best investments, for the money, your going to make if you don't want to do a build. Very good value along with great customer service.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #9

I did a little research and from what I've heard the only downfall with RRA is the barrel something about not being cold hammer forged or something like that been looking into building my own, i know that all the parts are suppose to be mil-spec but it seems like a guy could get into if you start mix matching parts from different companies with different torlerances thats my only concern could just be paranoid

Old 08-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
I did a little research and from what I've heard the only downfall with RRA is the barrel something about not being cold hammer forged or something like that been looking into building my own, i know that all the parts are suppose to be mil-spec but it seems like a guy could get into if you start mix matching parts from different companies with different torlerances thats my only concern could just be paranoid
1) - There is so much talk about cold hammer forged versus button versus blah, blah, blah, you may never get a straight answer. Talk to ten different barrel makers and you will get ten reasons, all different, as to why they make their barrels the way they do.

Don't get caught up in the hype. If you like the RRA rifle and it fits your priceline, buy it. Don't listen to a bunch of armchair gunbuilders on the interwebz talk you out of it.

2) The AR platform is a very simple, very easy to maintain and therefor build, design. You can buy a lower, an RRA parts kits, a stock and buffer and assemble your complete lower in a couple of hours at the kitchen table.

There is no grand mystery to the unit, though half the world wants you to believe there is. My young padwan Junho is a fine example. He came here wanting an AR, but not knowing anything about them. After a few weeks of posts and research, along with some reading, he built his own from the ground up and was turning in great groups, had no reliability issues and was in turn giving AR advice to other new members.

He is one of my greatest accomplishments on this forum because he went from zero to full blown gunner in just a couple of months. He had the will & desire and it paid off with an excellent final product and a world of knowledge.

There is no reason you can not do the same thing. Buying quality parts and installing themselves will give you a world of confidence in the unit, not to mention the ability to customize it down the road.

For the record, RRA makes a fine weapon and I would have no problem handing one to a family member should they need one.

JD