Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Rock River 458 socom detail stripped (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rock-river-458-socom-detail-stripped-35079/)

JonM 12-02-2010 03:00 AM

Rock River 458 socom detail stripped

so i completely dissassembled my 458 socom upper tonite getting it ready for my deer hunt next week. found that RRA did not use a peel washer to orient the flash supressor they used a generic washer and a drop of loctite. will have to rectify that when i get back. kinda disapointed in the reliance of loctite in place of a cheap peel washer.

Highpower 12-02-2010 12:15 PM

Generic, as in a common flat washer - or a "crush" washer (coned)?

JonM 12-02-2010 01:56 PM

as in common flat washer style. its a little thicker around .2 inch but its just a flat ring of steel. if i snug the hider down just hand tight no tools the a2 style hider the flat part that is normally parrelel to the ground under the barrel is to the right and straight up and down.

i know what a peel washer is ive installed enough of em and loctiting the flas hider is a not a correct means of attachment. im not sure this extends to all RRA A2 style hiders but its whats on my 458 socom upper.

Sniper03 12-05-2010 01:15 AM

Give me a Crush Washer anytime. They are easy to work with. The other issue is only use them once. Normally if you take them off and reinstall them they will crush too much in front of the front lip of the barrel and the threaded area that the Flash Hider screws onto and you will have to cut it off if you remove it after that. The Loctite I have never known of Rock River using any on the flash hider and crush washer area.

JonM 12-05-2010 01:22 AM

once i got the free float off and the hider off they only used a drop on each. maybe its just the 458 uppers. i c=vastly prefer peel washers as i can orient the hider anyway i wish.

Sniper03 12-05-2010 02:37 PM

John,

What do you think of that RRA 458 SOCOM. We used one on hogs in Texas on one of the Outdoor Channel Shows. The pigs were """DRT""". We were using a 340 Gr Bullet.
Take Care!

JonM 12-05-2010 03:14 PM

so far accuracy is superior i can get moa out of mine with 350 grn hornady rn. this week im going hunting with it first time for the socom. whittail hogs javelina. im a huge AR fan. my hunting rifle for the last 20 odd years has been a winchester mod 70 in 458 winmag loaded down to the 458 socom levels using the same 458 350 grn rn. i am totally psyched about it. but proof is in the pudding. i have little doubt it will perform well since i been using the same round ballistically for decades. now i have it in a semi that is easier to shoot and lighter.

the main drawback so far is its a little tricky to load for. takes a while to get brass. but i finally got my dillon xl650 setup to load progressive with the case feeder working. that wasnt easy since dillon claimed it wouldnt work with the case feeder. it does.

the quality of the rra components is very good with the small exceptions noted above but those are minor compaired to price and overall quality. mine is the midlength version. it works very well. ive fired about 250 rounds so far no issues.

it uses standard ar15 mags without mods. if your a hunter and reloader the selection of premium hunting bullets is enormous. more so than any other ar15 upper.