Reworking a stock trigger
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Reworking a stock trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Reworking a stock trigger

Does anyone know any tricks to make a mil-spec trigger group lighter? I like my rifles to have trigger pullls in the ounces, and I am not ready to drop 300.00 + bucks on a trigger group that only goes down to three pounds.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Double S - We don't post the process here, because there is some liability. Do a google on 15 minute trigger job and look for a website that is named Sargents Home or something like that. They have a pretty good description that is very similiar to the one we do on GI Stock triggers in the shop.

A couple of words of caution.

1) An AR can double or triple, and even cycle, if you mess with the trigger too far, especially if you are talking going so far as going into ounces.

2) A trigger on a weapon like an AR with a trigger rated in ounces is dangerous and I would personally recommend against it.

3) Order a replacement spring kit for a few bucks from Brownell's before you give this a try, in case you "need" it.

Good luck.

JD

Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know that I am not going to get a stock trigger down to ounces, even if the sear and disconnecter are pollished to a mirror like finish. But the two pound range would be livable. I have already done the 15 minute trigger job, which actually takes far less than 15 minutes, and have gone so far as to drill a hole in the center of the screw that holds the grip on, tapped it, and added a set screw to take all of the creep out of the trigger. Yet the whole thing still maxes out most trigger scales.

I am not super concerned if the rifle will double feed or go full auto, of course I would preferr it not to, because I single deed it most of the time. I think I am just going to head into the den after work and pollish the living snot out of everything.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

SS,
Continue to polish. I have a RRA with a stock trigger that I polished and brought it down to 2 lbs. with no other problems.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd suggest an aftermarket trigger. I have a fully adjustable Jard trigger in 1 of my ARs and it only run about 150$ retail (wholesale was less of course). The Jard triggers go all the way down to 1.5# and are perfectly reliable.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!