Reviews on this BCG? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Reviews on this BCG?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well phuck it...I'm going with the les Baer because its the only one I can find in stock...
And although I know the finish doesn't make the bolt carrier, I want a chrome or nickel boron one for easier cleaning...
Anyway, I can't find much else in stock and the BCG is the ONLY piece I need to complete my build. I just want to friggin shoot already!

Old 07-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you checked gunbroker? If you can be patient you may score one reasonably.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #13

Liked 1036 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1033

Well you're passing up good deals on BCGs. Just yesterday this one was $150 with a charging handle and it was well discussed in the Deals thread. It's back up to normal price now but is in stock. BTW the WMD you were looking at looks better than the Les Baer.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/upper-parts/bolt-carrier-groups/psa-5-56-bolt-carrier-group.html

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

monteros Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have been in Les Baer's facility. I have spoke to the man. There is no way that this bcg is of questionable quality. I do not own one myself but I have seen the attention to detail that comes with the Les Baer name. I do know that with that name comes a huge price and with that being said, the BCM is a great value with high quality.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nch22000
I have been in Les Baer's facility. I have spoke to the man. There is no way that this bcg is of questionable quality. I do not own one myself but I have seen the attention to detail that comes with the Les Baer name. I do know that with that name comes a huge price and with that being said, the BCM is a great value with high quality.
Yeah, I did a lot of googling on their BCG and everyone only speaks really highly of it...except for its high price tag.
Every claims it to be top notch.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

the reason the bcm are a bit more is because they dont do batch testing like everyone else does. each individual bolt is tested and mpi inspected. that takes time and manpower. that means its a bit more.

if you get a bcm you know there arent micro cracks in the bolt. batch tested means, if they are tested at all, can be anything from every other bolt to 1 in 10 or 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000 or worse.

i would go with a chromed one rather than a nickel boron. chrome doesnt tend to flake off like the nickel boron can under certain instances.

of course this is just my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #17

Though Les Baer is known for many fine firearms I don't see anything special about their ARs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quentin- I have not been able to shoot any of his ar's so you could be right. I can only speak to the passion of the man when talking to him about his products and the fit and finish of the handguns I have seen while in his shop.
Now everyone I know says BCM makes "the best" BCG's. People say they are the "only way to go" and that if a BCG is not MPI'ed and HP tested it is potentially gonna fail. I think some of this is valid and some is not, MPI can find surface fractures but does not find internal problems. I'm not sure of the process for HP testing, I'm sure someone here knows the ins and outs of it and what it finds.
All in all I think BCM is probably the way to go when you can get them. Personally, I think that BCM offers the best quality vs. price and I would have a hard time spending more on a potentially inferior product.
That being said I'm perfectly happy with my stock RRA BCG

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #19

I think Les Baer got into ARs mainly to sell to his loyalists - the type of person who loves his 1911 so naturally thinks LB can do no wrong. I really don't know how good their AR is today but it got off to a shaky start. Also, for half the price you can get BCM and maybe Daniel Defense. Or pay the same or a little more for Noveske or KAC. Those brands are sure things and the LB AR is not. I haven't checked lately but their specs were hard to come by a couple years ago.

And the backwards castle nut fiasco a few years ago is legendary. When people called CS asking why theirs was on backwards, instead of admitting it was a mistake LB came up with a cock&bull story that some SWAT teams requested it that way, so operators wouldn't cut their fingers on sharp edges! And I've read complaints about receivers ground down to fit better leaving lots of shiny metal exposed.

Anyway, I'd look further for a BCG.

______

monteros Likes This