Researching AR's need input
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Researching AR's need input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, I don't own any rifles yet. Mainly because I live in an apartment and don't want to put a 500lb safe in there. I'm waiting till I get my house, then gonna go for an AR15. I just want to know what to look for (mid grade to top brands), caliber, parts, just everything someone who is serious about a good quality weapon. Scopes n such. No crappy cool looking weight bearing crap that ppl put on theirs then can't hold it for long because it weighs 15 lbs. it's probably not gonna be for about 2yrs till I buy one, but I want to do ALOT of research for one so I ONLY need my one AR. U know. I am also left handed. Shoot pistols right/rifles lefty. It sucks but it works and feels comfy. What should I Research??? And what is a good price for an entry level that I can change parts out to fit me and make it deadlier. I have no idea about rifles but I tend to soon. Thank you guys. Also what about scoped hunting rifles for defense/hunting/long range targeting. If u guys can just throw out some names and calibers for that too as well. Again thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you want a factory lefty there isn't a lot to choose from.

Caliber, I'd stick w/ 5.56 for the first because it's fairly inexpensive to shoot in comparison.

Add-ons, since you mentioned defense, all you need is a light, iron sights, and/or a red dot. For hunting, I'd get a magnified optic in a quality quick detach mount so you can take it on and off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Let me tell you what happened to me...I didn't plan on purchasing an AR for a while either (maybe a year time frame), but I started researching anyway! 1st I planned on buying a complete one at a local shop. Then as I researched more I began to look into building one, well long story short I had one built 3 weeks later. Have fun with your research, it is a fun experience.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

If you are dead set on buying an AR specifically for a left-handed shooter, the options that I know of are Stag Arms (http://www.stagarms.com/) and Noveske Rifleworks (http://www.lefthandrifles.com/). I have heard that Rock River Arms has released a left-handed upper for their ARs as well. Personally, I don't think it's needed. I'm left-handed shooter as well and I've been shooting standard ARs for more than 15yrs without a problem...but I know it's all about preferences. As for the caliber and optics, I'd stick with a 5.56mm. It's ammo is affordable, and you can usually find really good ammo deals at gun shows and/or online. Optics on the other hand is a bit iffy as far as opinions go. I've got 3 sight options for my AR...Magpul MBUS (iron sights), Bushnell red dot, and a Nikon 2-7x32mm scope. Everything works for me, but doesn't necessarily work for you.

The best thing you can do is surf through multiple forums and read up on everything you can find about ARs...don't take everything people say as gospel because it's their opinion. Next, dust off your google-fu skills and find reviews on all the products that interest you. A couple of other options you can do is rent an AR from a local gun shop and/or range and go to gun shows. Each offers you the chance to get your hands on an AR to see how it feels. Just keep in mind, the better quality you want the more expensive it's gonna cost you, especially with accessories. Just don't settle for something if it doesn't feel right to you. Good luck.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. I gotta get out to an outdoor range and test some out to just see if a lefty or righty is good first. Guess that's a start.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

You need to do this first!!!!!

Stand up and hold both hands out infront of you with your palms facing away. Put your hands together so there is a little hole between both palms. ( like pic below)

Find an object in the distance and look at it with both eyes open through the hold in your hands.

Slowly bring your hands to your face. Which ever eye you can now see out of is your dominate eye. ( one will be covered)

This is way more important to know then how you feel with a gun.. It's almost impossible to shoot a firearm/bow with both eyes open if your using the wrong dominate eye.

Also lefty can shoot ar15 that are right handed. The rounds will eject away from you as long as you have your head in the proper place.

I'm righty in everything I do besides playing hockey. My gf is a lefty and shoots both my semiauto ar15 and ak47 allong with her semi 20ga shotgun...

I've practiced a few times trying to shoot with the gun on my left and I'll tell u it's really hard but u might not always be in the best position to shoot the way your comfortable... Watch any paintball match and the pros will throw there gun back and forth so they can shoot people to the right and left around bunkers..

Test your eyes or you will be disappointed later on.

The only gun you need in lefty would be a bolt action rifle..

Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #7

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Sry forgot to add the pic...
image-1944797994.jpg  

Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good advise. I did that but the thing is I can kind of move my hands around and it will work with both eyes. I don't know which one to use. Follow me?? I can point my finger at something and I'm right eye Dom, then do it again and I'm left eye Dom. How do you know without adjusting the couple inches over. Hope u understand. Hard to explain.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Well then do this , make the hole smaller with you hands like the size of a quarter keep your hands out as far as possible in front of u now look thru the hole both eyes open , focus on a small object . Now close your left eye without moving your hands , still see the object ? If not switch eyes, see the object now . Which ever on u can see the object with is your dominate eye. With this method you don't have to move at all except closing one eye at a time

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Roughly 10% of the population is left-handed, which equates to quite a lot of military folks who have trained on the AR platform successfully left handed. My point is that I wouldn't limit myself only to a left-handed model unless you absolutely can't adapt to the standard configuration.

For your needs, in a nutshell, I'd recommend a factory rifle as your first one until you get thoroughly familiar with the platform. One with fold-down front and rear BUIS (back-up iron sights) with an optic on a quick-detach mount since you may prefer some sort of red-dot for home protection, and a telescopic sight for a hunting application. The 5.56/.223 caliber is certainly more economical to shoot than most, and serves as a pretty good varmint/light game round in most situations, where it is legal.

The beauty of the AR platform is its versatility, but that also makes it difficult to ascertain exactly what your needs are until you've had a chance to get familiar with all its options and capabilities. But that's the fun of it. Enjoy!