Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > reparkerized some parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Default reparkerized some parts

I must say. I followed some of the simplest instruction I found on the net provided by a guy that had reparked over 100 barrels and wow I couldn't be more happy with the results. The whole process took about 15 minutes and the results were astounding. I will have to see if I can find the rusty before pics. Had my buddy bead blast the barrel and fsp. I cleaned the parts with acetone this morning and rinsed them off. I will say u must hurry because in 5 minutes they will flash rust so hurry.

Before pics

After pics

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-09-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

havoc,

Parkerizing is very easy as you stated and sounds like you did an excellent job of the prep! That is the important issue. Remind me! Is the solution temp still around 165 degrees? I use to do a lot of 870 Remington Shotguns for the agency but it has been several years ago. Remind me of the process procedure as to the solution on the stove or burner,
Great Job!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 02-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
havoc,

Parkerizing is very easy as you stated and sounds like you did an excellent job of the prep! That is the important issue. Remind me! Is the solution temp still around 165 degrees? I use to do a lot of 870 Remington Shotguns for the agency but it has been several years ago. Remind me of the process procedure as to the solution on the stove or burner,
Great Job!
I kept my temp at 185 for the process before I added the parts. I plugged my barrel ends and gas hole I used plain tap water. One gal water . and 3 oz of acid and some fine steel wool shredded. I hung my parts on copper wires to keel them off the bottom and I heard something in the copper helps darken the park effect a little bit. I really didn't notice any fumes until it started cooling . But I did it in my garage with a door open on a open burner for a turkey fryer and used a galvanized drywall mud pan

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-09-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1798 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Thank You! It could have very well been 185 to start because if I remember the temperature dropped a slight bit when the parts were added which the 870s had considerable more surface. That may have been where I remembered the 165 from? Anyway, thanks for refreshing my memory and once again Good Job!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

From everything I have read prep either makes it or breaks it . if it does get a rust flash on it , clean it up before doing it or it will turn green . I learned this on another piece I did .
I bought a XD9 sub compact today for really really cheap that had aquired surface rust on just the slide during a recent move from leaving it in the case in his unheated garage for a couple weeks while he got settled in , The guy had cleaned it off with steel wool and of course smoked the finish almost to bare steel in a few spots so It is getting it bead blasted today and getting the same phosphate treatment monday . Hope it turns out as good as the AR barrel which looks like new also sure would be nice to aquire a like new XD9 SC for $250