Removing front sight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Removing front sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Removing front sight

I Am wanting to remove FSB. I am wanting to put my scope directly on flattop instead of the system i have now .The FSB will block my scope but the gas block is also the FS. I have heard of people cutting the sight but I don't like the sound of ithat. Thanks ahead

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Lots of us have cut down the FSP. It's actually the best way to go unless you can find a pin on low profile GB. The pins are by far the sturdier option.

I have run magnified and non magnified optics w/ a standard FSP. You don't see it.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

And they are pretty light too!

Now really hard to do, pretty hard to mess up. and no naked un finished parts of the barrel peaking through.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

I would of bet ya 20 bucks that you would of been able to see the front sight in my scope if I didn't remove it. Thanks I'll just set it in the flat top then

Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #5

Liked 2395 Times on 1401 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Most scopes over 3x will be focused past the front sight base. You can still get a ghost image though, but usually it isn't a problem.

With non-magnified optics you would see it, but most of those are recommended for use with both eyes open. So, one eye is looking at the target, while the other is looking at the dot. The brain puts the two images together. Old red dots used to not even be see through.

Works out pretty good. Glad you didn't have to bet $20 or wate time on replacing the FSB.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #6

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
I would of bet ya 20 bucks that you would of been able to see the front sight in my scope if I didn't remove it. Thanks I'll just set it in the flat top then
If you use a tall mount and the scope is 3x or more you won't. You said you won't be using a mount but if you have decent magnification I don't see how you can avoid one.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #7

Are you saying that if I put my 4*30 scope directly on my flattop the front sight wlll be able to be seen or in the way? I might be confused a little.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Have you tried to mount the scope without a riser? Pretty hard to do unless the lenses are tiny.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Have you tried to mount the scope without a riser? Pretty hard to do unless the lenses are tiny.
No I haven't tried without a riser thats my question will it work directly on the flattop without the front sight getting in the way I

Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
I'll take that bet. Not only on magnified optics but RDS as well. Ask me how I know. These are just some of them. I've had a 3-9 and 8-16ish optic as well behind an OE FSP.