Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   Removing front sight (

aboveaverage 01-05-2010 12:21 AM

Removing front sight
I'm trying to remove the FSB on my AR-15 and successfully got one of the taper pins out but the other one won't budge at all. After multiple tries, I think I altered the shape of the pin. I live in Hawaii and I've called three of the gun shops here and none of them will do this. One of the store owners said that he uses a blow torch and then punches them out, any experiences with this? Would using a drill help?

canebrake 01-05-2010 12:31 AM

A tad bit more info would help like make, model..............

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

hillbilly68 01-05-2010 01:06 AM

1. Need to post an intro

2. Like squidbait said, model and manuf of the gun

3. Pics would help, but assumption is you tried taking them out the correct direction. What type of punch are you using?

4. Dont use a torch.

Standin' by.... :D

Dillinger 01-05-2010 01:48 AM

As indicated above, the pins are tapered, so they only go in and come out in one direction.

More information would be helpful.

I would have to agree that using a blowtorch would be a bad idea. If you have a drill press, that would work better and leave less possible damage.

In any event, a picture or two would greatly help your effort.

canebrake 01-05-2010 02:02 AM

* snot bubble *

Hey Red Dawn Red Neck,

...........^ Red Neck Palm Pilot

Highpower 01-05-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by aboveaverage (Post 208452)
Would using a drill help?

Don't even think about it....

Proper support of the front sight base is #1
The sight base has to be held SOLID from movement. A good bench vice and a BFH will work. Or a good hydraulic or arbor press. :rolleyes:

But, you can use one of these instead to help prevent damaging the sight base. :D

GunTech : Brownells AR-15 Front Sight Bench Block - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools